Cheaper International Living magazine available!

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just got this in an email blog from internationalliving.com: $27.95 internet price for a year. I didn't research this (as I signed up for the print copy the other day for $39 a year), so it may be simply coming to you via internet....but, so what? Same thing.
Anyway, thought I would pass this web address on to those of you who did seem interested:

www.web-purchases.com/ILV/WILVH502/

Orchidflower

I bought the print edition, and haven't even received one yet. Should there be an article in the magazine that I feel will curl your toes, I will post it...promise.

I subscribed to International Living last year. Not what i expected. I have gotton I think in the whole year, four printed subscription so called maganizes, which consist of maybe 6 pages. The anoying part of it is the constant bombardment of e-mails trying to sell you over prced "information" or siminars. Really, you are paying for the priviledge of having someone spam you constantly.

The only saving grace of the subscription is the web site that you can go on and research some past articles about a country you are interested in learning more about. Short of this, it is a big waste of money. however I find most articles geared to trying to sell you the merits of moving there, and of course buying real estate or some other service from them. They certainly don't go into any of the negatives of living in the area, or if mentioned, gloss over them. If you are looking for a "realistic" view with the good, the bad and the ugly, this is not the place.

modhatter said:
I subscribed to International Living last year. Not what i expected. I have gotton I think in the whole year, four printed subscription so called maganizes, which consist of maybe 6 pages. The anoying part of it is the constant bombardment of e-mails trying to sell you over prced "information" or siminars. Really, you are paying for the priviledge of having someone spam you constantly.

I have seen the site... I am not crazy about being upsold on other crap. 6 pages quarterly makes the mag sound like a rip? Is the electronic version the same?

Yup, Not much to it. However, I do get at least two and sometimes 3 e-mails daily trying to sell me something else, like todays $1,960 (for one) weekend siminar coming up in Nicaragua about starting a import/export business. Or buying their book on same subject for ONLY $295.00

modhatter said:
Yup, Not much to it. However, I do get at least two and sometimes 3 e-mails daily trying to sell me something else, like todays $1,960 (for one) weekend siminar coming up in Nicaragua about starting a import/export business. Or buying their book on same subject for ONLY $295.00

Nice... pay $40 to get spammed! :p

This internationalliving.com states on it's website that they send out a MONTHLY magazine. Even their lousy 6 pages they could call a magazine, I guess. But if they are NOT sending out a monthly magazine, why is nobody doing anything about it? Why are they allowed to get away with it?
This is irritating. To spend even just $39 for a monthly magazine, and to get 4 issues is unfair and unbelievable.
Well...guess I will have to do something about it if nobody else will volunteer to kick their butts. I have no sense of humor about getting ripped off, myself. So, I am just in a wait and see mode as to what they send me.... (This is not making me a happy camper, folks..)

Wow... good stuff. I was seriously thinking of subscribing until I saw this thread. I clicked the link, found the landing page to be amateurish and left without making a purchase.

I agree it looked shoddy, but I was hoping. OK, I will keep the subscription and see. Feeling pretty anal about it, and want my 12 issues (damnit!). Will keep you posted on what I get. If it really is a big rip, something should be done to stop them. :mad:

Just got my first International Living magazines in the mail. 31 pages, glossy inside and cover. No typos, well written articles, no ink smudges. Looks good.
Having been in advertising 16 years with my own agency, I must say that I am pleasantly surprised as I was afraid it would be a 4 page mimeographed sheet of information; but it isn't. It's pretty good, so my worries of taking a subscription--unless I get only 4 this year--are gone. Seems to be alot of good articles from my scanning today.
I got the January issue, too, :D which has the quality of life index in it (available on the net, also, for free) and the April issue which seems to have a great variety of articles in it; plus, a book on different countries to retire in called, "How to Retire in Paradise for $19 a Day."
So far, so good. I am keeping my subscription to International Living at this point. :D

I am real curious as to what you got that was 31 pages. I subscribed at full price and have never received anything like that. No glossy paper and not more than 6 or 7 pages as best, with the last two pages of adds.

If I ever get another one, I think I'll scan it in so you can see it.

I would contact them about that. Something is wrong, truly. My magazines were nice, honest. Now we will see if I get all 12.

Sorry...you asked what was on the 31 pages. Granted, alot of ads in there but they had maybe 5 articles about different locations to retire to from all over the world, long 3-4 page articles in small print with color photos, that are pretty interesting. I read some this morning. They go into alot of detail, too.
Trust me, if I felt I were ripped off, I would be the first one to tell you about it.
You should contact them about that, really.

These "International Living" sites and books prey on the worries of retirees about how far their meager resources will stretch in the US. The offer vague promises of

".......places where you’ll pay little or no income taxes. Property taxes, too, are low. You may qualify for government health care programs. And free prescriptions. Wouldn’t it be nice to never again have to worry about out-of-control health care costs?"

They never say that as a US citizen you'll always have to pay US taxes and having foreign investments or bank accounts complicates your US taxes. You might also have to pay taxes in the country where you live.

Retiring outside the USA can be a great thing to do, but do your own research before you pay for anything.

If Kathleen Peddicord endorses it, I'm in. I don't have to see the fine print, only that Honest Kat likes it. I just hope they have a Sky King Super Decoder Ring offer soon. I'm saving my Ovaltine labels already.

Ha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom