Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

No kidding, Chuck. At first, i thought the signs were showing up just because i was looking for them so intently.

Not, any more.....

A couple weeks ago the district librarians (about 15 of us) attended a mandatory meeting with an administrator. The road the district is putting us on goes against some of my strongest beliefs about what school libraries are all about. It begins this spring; I won't get out of all of it, but at least won't have to be there for much of it.

Two of my colleagues messaged me later with You looked so happy and content. I was NOT. I was distraught by what we were told, but perhaps my face lit up when thoughts of retirement danced through my brain. (Because I was thinking, Retirement in May, retirement in May, retirement in May)
(Official date is July 1, but school year ends in late May)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Egads! Every day brings another.reason to retire.
+1

After my morning, and dealing with idiots - I totally agree!
Only 301 more days, I think I can.... I think I can.... I think I can....

Old 12-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll be straddling the classes of 2011 and 2012 since my last day working is Dec 23, 2011 but I'll be on holiday and vacation until Feb 15, 2012 at which point I will go off payroll.

Only 3 weeks of work left - i can hardly believe it!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

I can't believe how the negatives keep adding up. Administrators focus on the negative. Some students are happy to screw around and don't put much effort into their learning - somehow that is my fault. One student threatens another before school and outside the classroom and somehow I should have known. I goin early, stay late and take hours of work home this weekend - that never gets noticed.

Oh.... More budget cuts next year.....

Just letting off steam.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Ohyes I have to agree. I fought the urge to focus on the negative to 'justify' the decision to retire. But , they keep adding up.

The latest is our third set of student learning standards in five years. Then the state testing to measure us against those standards starts almost two months BEFORE the end of the school year. So we have to set a very fast pace to cover the material before the test. Yet we must also go back and 'fix' students who did not have the prerequisite skills before day 1 of this year.

Administrator's solution is to pile on more programs in the hope one will solve the problem. Yet all they do is absorb teacher time. They are helpless when faced with so many outside obstacles to learning that school are powerless against.

And I get up at 5:30 AM so as to enjoy this fun!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #166
Dryer sheet aficionado

You know when you know it's time...sounds like you know. One thing I do know about teachers, when the door closes and the bell rings, we have a way of doing what we know works and what's right. It doesn't matter how many new or recycled programs are put in place, there's only so much room on your plate. We're starting a "new" program, which is actually my 4th time implementing it in my 31 year career. They say it's a 5 year process, yet I only have 24 weeks!
BIG smile!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Yup. I know it is time. Just hanging on and doing my best until June.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Another reason to retire. It is Sunday night. I am home early from being out with friends because I have to get things together for work tomorrow. I have already spent a good six hours this weekend grading papers but that is not enough. Or, I could choose to not do the additional work tonight and instead, skip an enjoyable Monday evening men's group at my church so I can get it done then. Either way, work is impinging on my personal time. If this was one weekend a month, I could live with it, but it is more like three weekends a month - on top of many extra hours Monday through Friday.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #169

DH has a good friend who works for Federal Reserve Bank in Boston and has put off retirement due to child support obligations. He is burned out and wants to retire so badly. I can still hear him wistfully saying, You get your life back.

(Chuck, you aren't trying to get folks to move to Arkansas, are you?!)
Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Had a meeting with boss last week. It was ok. Meaning I am not in trouble but ..... All I got for my coming in early, leaving late and taking work home was suggestions for how I could do even more!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Had a meeting with boss last week. It was ok. Meaning I am not in trouble but ..... All I got for my coming in early, leaving late and taking work home was suggestions for how I could do even more!
Oh Chuck--I know this experience exactly!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

If they know that you are leaving next year, and you still had to endure this ridiculous meeting, then yes - it is time to get out!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
If they know that you are leaving next year, and you still had to endure this ridiculous meeting, then yes - it is time to get out!
It is amazing, but what I and others have come to expect. One thing I have noticed is that I am surrounded by workaholics! People who seem to thrive on this stuff. Once again, it shows that I am ready to retire. I will do my best, but my days of sacraficing my health and personal quality of life for the job are over.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Just mailed in my retirement paper work!! September 1 is the date.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #175

YIPEEEEEE!

Curious...Why September 1? Do you teach all summer?

Congratulations on getting the paper work in. Last spring, when we turned in DH's retirement paperwork, it seemed overly complicated. I think one should just be able to push a YES button on the state website that means I RETIRE!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Curious...Why September 1? Do you teach all summer?
Several reasons which have to do with current compensation. Even though I have done all my contract requires of me - and much, much more - by then end of the school year in June, if I retire two months early several things get taken away. I lose two months of service credit which knocks about $20 a month off my pension for life. Also, I lose two months of medical insurance, so I have to pay that myself. So, it is worth waiting two months. Of course, I also lose two months of retirement pay by waiting until September to retire.

One can run the numbers and it is close call. If I live long enough, I get a bit extra. If I die a bit too soon, then the state saves a few dollars on me. They have this pretty well figured out. Actuarial tables are pretty impressive things.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #177
Confused about dryer sheets

OMG...I just spoke with my boss today and announced my intentions to retire March 2012. He couldn't have been more gracious. I am relieved and excited about my new adventure...nervous too. Hope it all works out the way I have envisioned and planned.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #178

Congratulations to both of you.

In our district, if we retire after the school year, it is July 1 for the official retirement date....to get full credit for that last year. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #179
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You guys ready??? :)

The Class of 2011 is about to call it a year and get ready to enjoy watching your class evolve over next year! Are you ready? I haven't seen a list of class members in a while! I have been pretty active in the 2011 group for a while and know from experience that maintaining the list really helps keep the motivation level up - the closer you get to your expected date, the more unknowns crop up, and it's great to have the support of your classmates

Go for it and congratulations!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
The Class of 2011 is about to call it a year and get ready to enjoy watching your class evolve over next year! Are you ready?

Am I ready?! Just sitting here today thinking this is my last day working this year!!! 2012 here I come!

Other people my age wonder what I plan to do when I retire, they all think I will be bored. What they donít understand is that Iím bored now, and canít wait to retire to be able to do things that interest me!