Class of 2012

Curious...Why September 1? Do you teach all summer?

Several reasons which have to do with current compensation. Even though I have done all my contract requires of me - and much, much more - by then end of the school year in June, if I retire two months early several things get taken away. I lose two months of service credit which knocks about $20 a month off my pension for life. Also, I lose two months of medical insurance, so I have to pay that myself. So, it is worth waiting two months. Of course, I also lose two months of retirement pay by waiting until September to retire.

One can run the numbers and it is close call. If I live long enough, I get a bit extra. If I die a bit too soon, then the state saves a few dollars on me. They have this pretty well figured out. Actuarial tables are pretty impressive things.

Last edited:
OMG...I just spoke with my boss today and announced my intentions to retire March 2012. He couldn't have been more gracious. I am relieved and excited about my new adventure...nervous too. Hope it all works out the way I have envisioned and planned.

Congratulations to both of you. :D

In our district, if we retire after the school year, it is July 1 for the official retirement date....to get full credit for that last year. Thanks for the explanation.

You guys ready:confused: :)

The Class of 2011 is about to call it a year and get ready to enjoy watching your class evolve over next year! Are you ready? I haven't seen a list of class members in a while! I have been pretty active in the 2011 group for a while and know from experience that maintaining the list really helps keep the motivation level up - the closer you get to your expected date, the more unknowns crop up, and it's great to have the support of your classmates :cool:

Go for it and congratulations!

The Class of 2011 is about to call it a year and get ready to enjoy watching your class evolve over next year! Are you ready?

Am I ready?! Just sitting here today thinking this is my last day working this year!!! 2012 here I come!​

Other people my age wonder what I plan to do when I retire, they all think I will be bored. What they don’t understand is that I’m bored now, and can’t wait to retire to be able to do things that interest me! :dance:

So, here comes the update:

65walkon
12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt
BradMM
Cato
Chainsbegone 6/12
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/12
Palomalou 5/12
pb4uski 2/15/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee

Newcomers, please feel free to use the good old copy and paste method to join and to update the list.

Members, please correct my mistakes or update your arrival in ER land!

Happy journey and a great
2012!

Last edited:
It looks like a substantial class has formed already, it will be an exciting year for you all. I'm another Class of 2011 member, like steelyman, who helped maintain the 2011 list and the thread seemed enjoyable for the class. Best of luck as you all all start your next chapter in 2012...

OMG, I can barely stand it. My bonus drops in my account 4/15, I will give notice the next day...just 2 weeks. My husband will work the entire year - he gets large bonus' (cash and 401k) in late December and mid January.

My manager wants me to go back for an Asia tour early this year, I am praying that it is cancelled for some reason.

I loved my Jan 1st horoscope, it read:
How delightful to be closing one book and getting ready to open a new one; your imagination is aglow thinking of what's ahead.

We have made it to our last year of employment, soon to be free! :D

7 months + 28 Days to go, but who's counting? Best wishes to the Class of 2012 and Happy New Year to all!

When horoscopes get it right:

The plan is to retire as of September 1st And I'm driving the RV down to Arizona in late October/early November. Apparently, I have to....it's written in the stars :D
Aries Work Horoscope 2012

The professional success will kiss your feet in 2012. However, for the good time to arrive you have to patiently wait until the last quarter of the year. Throughout the year, there might be some hurdles in your career. Your calm and serene nature will help you continue your regular acts with wise thinking. Come September and you will find some drastic change in your job. A change of place or the job itself is on the cards towards November.

When horoscopes get it right:

The plan is to retire as of September 1st And I'm driving the RV down to Arizona in late October/early November. Apparently, I have to....it's written in the stars :D
A change of place or the job itself is on the cards towards November.

Love it! I will be retiring September 28th, and then doing the RV thing myself. :)

First visiting friends in Dallas, and Port Aransas Texas, then over to Sedona for a few days, then to the Phoenix races in November!

Love it! I will be retiring September 28th, and then doing the RV thing myself. :)

First visiting friends in Dallas, and Port Aransas Texas, then over to Sedona for a few days, then to the Phoenix races in November!

Phoenix races? Do they shoot straight up from a bonfire? :whistle:

Date confirmed:

65walkon
12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/12
Palomalou 5/12
pb4uski 2/15/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee

Newcomers, please feel free to use the good old copy and paste method to join and to update the list.

Happy journey and a great 2012!
[/QUOTE]

Put in my date.

2011 was a long year and retirement cannot come quickly enough.

I raise a glass to the class of 2012.:D

Cato

65walkon
12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Palomalou 5/12
pb4uski 2/15/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee

[/QUOTE]

Put my date in as 7/1/12 - instead of just plain 7/12 that i submitted earlier. A few days make a huge difference in my excitement level.

Congratulations to all of us as our dates get closer!

65walkon
12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Palomalou 5/12
pb4uski 2/15/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee

Put my date in as 7/1/12 - instead of just plain 7/12 that i submitted earlier. A few days make a huge difference in my excitement level.

Congratulations to all of us as our dates get closer!

Added my date, unfortunately it's at the end of September - not the beginning, but now that I’m in 2012 I’m still excited!

I first started my FIRE countdown on Monday May 31st, 2004. I inherited a retirement countdown clock from an old friend when he retired. Hard to believe, but it’s still on its original batteries, and by the time I finally hit my day, it will have clicked off:

From and including: Monday, May 31, 2004 To, but not including : Friday, September 28, 2012

It is 3042 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date
Or 8 years, 3 months, 28 days excluding the end date
Alternative time units

3042 days can be converted to one of these units:

§ 262,828,800 seconds
§ 4,380,480 minutes
§ 73,008 hours
§ 434 weeks (rounded down)

Took Friday off. DH and I headed to Eureka Springs for two very fun days. Purchased a Groupon for two nights at an historic hotel that was chock full of charm. We did lots of walking up and down the hills (including up to the Crescent Hotel where a paranormal convention was humming), heard two very good bands, and ate scrumptious food, and did tons of people-watching.

Getting off to w*rk seems unusually difficult.

Well, I informed the HR folks of my intent to retire at the end of the current school year. I have never seen a form arrive from HR so quickly, along with e-mails from various clerks offering to help me fill out paper work and get the details in order.

One problem, I got a copy of the official paper I need to sign. The one that means "This is it. No turning back. You are going and they don't have to take you back." I just could not get myself to sign it yet. I know I will, but it is hard....

Point Of No Return

"This is it. No turning back. You are going and they don't have to take you back." I just could not get myself to sign it yet. I know I will, but it is hard....

I am having the same "last minute" jitters even though I know this is the right thing to do. Glad to hear I am not alone. Anybody else struggle at the point of no return?

It's hard to take that completely final step! At least it was for me, and I have no advice at all on how to deal with it.

In my case, I could have changed my mind right up to the last minute when I surrendered my badge. That was tough. I had worn that badge on a lanyard around my neck every day for so long, that it seemed like a part of me was being ripped away. Even though I knew I wanted to retire, I surprised myself by leaking one little tear from my eye when I surrendered it.

I felt better driving out of the parking lot towards my future, about 2 minutes after that. :D

My version:

"This is it. No turning back. You are going and [-]they don't have to take you back[/-] there is nothing they can do to stop you."

My only struggle was trying to stifle my excitement as I counted down the days until I became a free man!

I signed a Deferred Retirement Option Plan document 7 years ago, and it matures in 2 months, it also had the no return language in it. scary, but I aggree with REWahoo. Its THEIR loss!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. With all due respect, this is a life-changing and intensely personal step. Despite the fact that I have planned for and anticipated March 1, 2012 for years, it's hard to venture into the unknown. All the "what if's..." keep creeping into my head. I'll be happy when it's behind me.

Chuckanut said:
Well, I informed the HR folks of my intent to retire at the end of the current school year. I have never seen a form arrive from HR so quickly, along with e-mails from various clerks offering to help me fill out paper work and get the details in order.

One problem, I got a copy of the official paper I need to sign. The one that means "This is it. No turning back. You are going and they don't have to take you back." I just could not get myself to sign it yet. I know I will, but it is hard....

You, more than most understand "summer vacation", and the answer to why do I teach...June, July and August (although it's actually only June and July now). We are more prepared for retirement than most...I can only imagine it will be like that until we want something else.

Actually, it is mostly July and part of August. We go back about one to two weeks before the students arrive. This year, my 'official' work year started on the day the students walked into the classroom. Of course, I could never be ready if I kept to the 'official' start date. I think I will really feel retired, when the first day of school starts and I sleep in.

Back
Top Bottom