Class of 2013

NLT 1/3/2013, 690 days, or 3 bad days in a row. Wife has 902 days.

748 Changed date to retire sooner based on projected bonus payout.

I haven't calculated how many of my 692 remaining days are acutual work days, after subtracting weekends, holidays & vacation days. That number is the total of all days. Maybe I should do that. It might make me feel good!

The class of 2011 (the one I'm in) has started a list in their thread collecting all the names of people in that class along with their age at date of ER. It's kind of fun to watch it grow... maybe you guys might want to do that as well? And... here's to your year! :clap:

Well...I just did the math, & if I subtract weekends, holidays & my other regular days off (I work Monday - Thursday, 10 hrs a day, off on Fridays), I can subtract a whopping 260 days from my total. That means I only have 411 actual working days left. I like that MUCH better!!!

And...that still doesn't include the 4 weeks vacation I'll be required to take this year or else I'll lose it, and any miscellaneous sick days that might come up. I won't take much sick leave though, if I can help it. Whatever I have left will get added to my retirement calculations.

Okay....I was originally was in the class of 2008, but the market plummeted and I am a worrier and decided against a 72T. I went back to work in late 2009 and things were going well until a merger and I was RIF'd in late 2010. I just accepted a new job and have a new min/max plan. I plan to work a minimum of 2 years maxing out the 401k plan to get me to the age of 55. If I enjoy the job, then I will work until 58 when DH retires. We are positioned well once we hit 59 1/2 for retirement....it was those in between years living off of one income (which is much less than 1/2 of what I can make) that got me back to work. I also realized that I would enjoy retirement more if we both were retired. So...I'm either class of 2013 or 2016.

I'll be eligible to go on 7/1/2013 at the age of 56 with a full pension. My wife is 4 years younger and will hopefully keep going till she is 55 so she can get a small pension.

Concentrating on paying down the mortgage and saving like crazy these last few years.

824 days left!

I passed a minor milestone yesterday. That was the first time I replied "in about two years" rather than "in a little over two years" when someone asked me when/if I'm planning to retire.

Congratulations! Personally, I'm just a little over 21 months away now...21 months, 6 days, to be exact! Feels good, don't it?

Last edited:
I turn 55 in Nov 2012, so I always pictured myself in the class of 2012 - but I am now officially declaring my intent to "graduate" to retirement in 2013. I need to stay the full year (2012) for my 2012 salary to count towards my pension. If I leave Dec 1st (earliest I could leave with subsidized health care) - I would have to use 2007-2011 for my pension calculations versus 2008-2012. Given the bonus structure changes, my 2012 salary will look a lot better than my 2007. So for another month - it's well worth it.

After that, it really is a matter of deciding what day to say "I'm done". I have plenty of vacation, so I could almost work part-time for a few months, if I wanted to. A lot will depend on whether we have bought our fifth wheel by then or if we are still looking. It will also depend on how much they annoy me after 1/1/2013.....

But I need/want a number like martyb. I can definitely relate to Alan's comment - the closer I have gotten, the harder it has become. But I am pretty sure when summer of 2012 comes, it is not going to be so hard....

So now I am going to go figure a number out :D

OK - I chose 1/4/2013 as my last day. That puts me at:

Days - 632
Week Days - 452
Work Days - 375

Work Days = Week Days minus holidays and vacation days I will take in 2011 and 2012)

Hope I did that right....

That still leaves me with 22 vacation days I could take in Jan 2013, if I wanted to.

1. martyb - 55
2. DFA - 54
3. KM - 55

Count me in on the class of 2013. I can bail in May of 2013. I will be 56 and have 20 years of Federal service. I will either take a reduced pension (30%) or postpone the pension until I am 60. I am hoping they offer an early out that year, if it looks like they will I will hang around to see if my position makes the list.

In the meantime, life is good.

Back
Top Bottom