Join Early Retirement Today

Yippee!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yippee!

Count me in!

I just found this website a few days ago. I ran the Firecalc and have 100% success as long as I sell my San Diego house and pay cash for a house somewhere else, most likely Northern Arizona or Southern Nevada. Fortunately we (I am married) like Northern Arizona and Southern Nevada. We are both native to San Diego, so I know we are giving up "perfect" weather to gain freedom! When you are in an office 12 hours a day you don't get to enjoy much of the perfect weather.

I am 52 and turn 55 in October of 2015. I have a government job and will have a decent pension at age 55. I started saving for retirement at age 22. I saw relatives retire into poverty and make stupid decisions so I hit the library and learned all I could about financial planning. I worked in the private sector for 20 years until the "tech wreck" and decided a needed a job with a pension as saving one million dollars was not as easy as I had hoped.

With no mortgage, pension, and savings we are good. If we keep the San Diego house I will be working until age 72...hello Arizona! My property taxes here are $5,000 and in ten years they will be $6,000 per year. The places we have been looking at in Nevada and Arizona will be about $1,800 for property taxes. Oh an gasoline runs about 60 cents a gallon cheaper. All these things add up in terms of savings.

What is "OMY cycle"?

1. Ikubak - April - age 52
2. LoneAspen - Feb - age 48
3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
6. Live and Learn - March - 52
7. SkeetShooter - December
8. DanD76 - June
9. Utrecht - Jan - Age 50
10. haloFIRE - August 14th - age 47
11. Doxiemama - November - age 52

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

My first post on this site. Own my own business for 23 years--about 20 employees. Have not had more than a week in a row off ever and have decided the sands of time are lining up for June, 2015. No mortgages, kids college set aside, FI. Just need to work out succession plan for business but have 2 years for that. 53 years old, married with two kids -- one in college and one junior in high school. In June 2015 youngest is off to college, 30 years in my profession and office lease due for renewal (to be dealt with by successors). I think things happen for a reason and it is time to turn the chapter in June, 2015. So I am in the club. P.S. I keep telling myself and my wife that is the day so that I convince myself to make it happen. For me it is not a financial decision but more of a life-changing lifestyle decision.

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June
12. Phil1ben - June 1 - age 53 now 55 at ret.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Good on you. Northern Arizona is one of my favorite places on the planet. Enjoy!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

OMY Cycle

Doxiemama,

OMY = One More Year

Typically used in the context of "OMY and I'll have enough to retire". Some use it to put off the decision to retire so they feel more comfortable with their financial situation, or to improve their post retirement options

In my case, I can retire now, but will hold on two more years to increase my ability to travel when I do retire

Hope this helps
Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloFIRE View Post
Doxiemama,

OMY = One More Year

Typically used in the context of "OMY and I'll have enough to retire". Some use it to put off the decision to retire so they feel more comfortable with their financial situation, or to improve their post retirement options

In my case, I can retire now, but will hold on two more years to increase my ability to travel when I do retire

Hope this helps
Very helpful, thank you!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June

HA! I don't feel like such an early retiree in this group.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like the following is growing!

So, new question.....What is the first major event you have planned after retirement?

For us, I plan to hike the Appalachian trail, while DW catches up with her family. After the AT, a year+ on travel abroad we think...

What are you thinking of doing?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Moving back to Colorado, buying a place up in Eagle or Summit counties, and spending one or two entire years getting back in shape, and hiking, backpacking, camping, skiing, snowboarding, photography, etc.

I want one or two full years of enjoying the outdoors with no job, boss, deadlines, projects, commitments, or responsibilities hanging over me. I want a couple years of "me" time.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds great LoneAspen! I'd love that myself. My DWis more of an indoorsey type of girl, so I might have a hard sell on my hands. She isn't very enthused about my AT trek, but supports me because she knows it has been a goal/desire since before we met
Old 08-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Looks like the following is growing!

So, new question.....What is the first major event you have planned after retirement?

For us, I plan to hike the Appalachian trail, while DW catches up with her family. After the AT, a year+ on travel abroad we think...

I will be turning 50, we will be retiring, we will have our 20th anniversary and we will be picking up and moving cross country....all within a few months of each other. Its going to be a busy time and I can't wait.

Oh, and if we can fit it in, we are planning a trip where we will fly to San Francisco and spend a few days there. Then spend a few more days driving up to Seattle where we will take an Alaskan cruise.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June
13. SonnyJim - January 1 - age 48

Military retirement! Many thanks to those on this board. Especially Nords who has helped by sharing his experience and expertise.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June
14. Theseus - July -
Old 08-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June
14. Theseus - July - age 59

that (1st post) was an oops
Old 08-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome SonnyJim and Theseus!

SonnyJim, looks like you and Utrecht are at the head of the class. My last work day is 14 August 2015, but actual retirement from the Army is exactly one year after you...looks like I'm in the very back of the class!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm counting the months to retirement - 20 to go. As far as the first major event after retirement, it will be decluttering, home repairs, and getting my house ready to put on the market. Just don't have the time or energy to do this while still working. Do want to take a bunch of 3-4 day trips around the SW e.g., Grand Canyon, Telluride, Mesa Verde, Taos, as I will probably be relocating to NW and want to see these places one more time before I go. Prefer to hold off on any major travel expenditures until I feel comfortable that there are no big surprises.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks ABQ!

I added Mesa Verde to my list of places to see!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

You're quite welcome, HaloFIRE. And I think your DW would enjoy it too as there are quite a few things to do in the area. From Frommer's travel guide website:
"Durango and Mesa Verde National Park, The Million Dollar Highway, U.S. 550 to Durango, where you'll be based for the next few days, passes through the picturesque historic mining towns of Ouray and Silverton and across Red Mountain Pass, an alpine locale worthy of Switzerland. Durango's historic district is one of Colorado's largest and best preserved. Explore historic downtown Durango and take a ride on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, which traverses a magnificent route to Silverton and back. Day 13 will be one of archaeological discovery. Spend most of it at Mesa Verde National Park, some 40 miles west of Durango, or at Ute Mountain Tribal Mountain Park, south of Cortez."
And of course, Telluride is also nearby.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks again!

Truly appreciate the ideas!

DW and I have been watching "Breaking Bad" on Netflix, and would really like to visit and see the terrain around ALB. Very different from the deserts I've seen in my travels.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

351 work days to go....
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

New Member of 2015

After much discussion, my DW and I finally settled on Jan of 2015. I was really hoping for Jan 2014, but the advantage of not having to do a SEPP to get at my money was the biggest deciding factor. We have been tracking expenses very closely since Jan 13 and feeling good about our retirement budget. I do have up to 13 weeks of vacation that I can take in the next 16 months, so that may make it bearable. Cheers to the class of 2015!!

3. Neihn - Dec -
4. Fourchristians - June
5. ABQ2015 - March - 59
8. DanD76 - June
14. Theseus - July - age 59
15. cinman2000 - Jan - age 54