Clock repair

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
My mind tends to wander down strange and lightly traveled roads. Here's the latest.

My wife inherited two antique clocks from her parents, which to the best of my knowledge have not run in the 25 years we've been together. Anybody here tinker with clock repair as an ER hobby? I'm thinking about taking a whack at it.

I figure since they already don't work that I can't really make things any worse.

retiredbop said:
Anybody here tinker with clock repair as an ER hobby? I'm thinking about taking a whack at it.

Uh... Are you sure you have the proper disposition to take this on? I question whether "clock repair" and "whack" are compatible terms. ;)

Probably depends a lot on the clock. A big pendulum clock is going to be easier to work on than a Rolex wristwatch.

I've built a wooden pendulum clock, and the mechanism is very simple.

If/when you decide that it's too much to handle on your own I know a person that does antique clock repair, PM me.

I'd check around on the net or whereever and find out if they're worth any money first. If they don't have much value, then I'd whack away.

Hi RB,

I've tinkered with this on and off for years. We have a GF clock, a mantle clock, an anniversary clock (not worth fixing), a maddening Tweety clock that DW likes, and a zillion quartz wall clocks.

Anywho, when my GF clock died I called the local expert and he asked if the clock was level. I checked it and it was. He suggested that I not wind the clock too tightly and then give the pendulum a swing. I told him that I had given the pendulum about a dozen swings. He said call me back after a hundred swings! After about 50 or so the darn thing worked. Been working ever since.

Don't give up. Dont forget the law of motion... An object at rest tends to stay at rest. If the clock has been still for years, it'll take some coaxing. ;)

Thanks BUM. Good advice.

My mother asked "How can you talk about retirement so much?" Can't seem to get her to understand how multi-dimensional this list really is.

BTW I also bought a watch repair battery replacement kit on ebay for cheap. I've been replacing the batteries on all the watches for some time now. Don't let anyone tell you their jeweler (or whomever) only charges for the battery. An assortment of 4 or 5 dozen watch batts is only a few dollars :eek:

My average cost of a replacement is less than 50 cents. Also its interesting to note that a very expensive quartz watch can have the same innards as a cheapo. You're often paying for the brand and a fancy case.

retiredbop said:
............My wife inherited two antique clocks from her parents, which to the best of my knowledge have not run in the 25 years we've been together. Anybody here tinker with clock repair as an ER hobby? I'm thinking about taking a whack at it...........

Really need more info about the clocks. I have brought back a few 1840 - 1890 mantel and shelf clocks from the dead. All were found in the usual failure mode, the springs fully wound and won't run.

Telly, what's a good source book for trying to ID these things? I'm going to the local library Wednesday to see what I can find.

Back
Top Bottom