Club championship

I play in a skins game most days. Today I shot 76 and didn't win a thing. I don't have a problem with that. It's just part of that game. I didn't make any birdies, so there was no way I was going to win anything.

I have a different strategy when I'm playing stroke play, it's not have any blow up holes. Skins you just let her rip.

I would have to cheat to shoot 76. I can play 6-7 holes and think "I could play senior tour" then reality hits every time after an OB snap hook, quickly followed up with a bogey....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Way to go. Your own PPS will feel sweet each time you pull into it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I think you have it backwards.

1) Spring for new clubs. Today's clubs are so much more forgiving of slight mishits... well worth the money. IIRC I spent about $1k for middle of the road clubs when I retired and noticed a big difference.

2) Try a 2-3 day golf school to reboot your game. What I found is that it screwed me up for a while until I decided what they tried to teach me to incorporate into my game and what to stay with the old way I was doing it.

Thanks pb4uski...I might just do that. My wife keeps telling me to get lessons but I keep thinking I could get better on my own with tips on Golf Channel and Golf Digest...but my game hasn't gotten any better:facepalm:. Gotta try something different.

Thanks pb4uski...I might just do that. My wife keeps telling me to get lessons but I keep thinking I could get better on my own with tips on Golf Channel and Golf Digest...but my game hasn't gotten any better:facepalm:. Gotta try something different.

without video, you can't watch your swing so you either need a pro and/or a camera - you could have one of several problems - bad grip, poor stance, lack of one piece takeaway/rotation, coming down with the arms instead of the legs, coming out of posture during the swing etc

have a pro use a video to compare your swing to a tour player

As a plaque an old co-worker had on his wall:
If it goes left it is a hook, if it goes right it is a slice, if it goes straight it is a miracle :cool:

I might have that left/right mixed up, but the point is made.

I think you have it backwards.

1) Spring for new clubs. Today's clubs are so much more forgiving of slight mishits... well worth the money. IIRC I spent about $1k for middle of the road clubs when I retired and noticed a big difference.

I never buy the new year model clubs, IMO they are way over priced. Wait a year or so and the prices drop by about half. While I agree there is a big difference in the clubs today compared to those from 20 or more years ago, especially woods and hybrids, in most cases there is very little difference in the clubs that manufacturers put out from one year to the next. Buy last years models and you can save a bundle on a top of the line set of clubs.

Last edited:
I agree with you that last year's model are much better values. When I said 'new" it was in the context of the poster's "K-Mart special .... used Callaway driver and used Taylor Made rescue" clubs, not new like in current model year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom