Club championship

dm

Full time employment: Posting here.
Well I guess retiring early and having the ability to golf as much as I want has finally paid off.

I finally won the club championship at our local country club. I never really figured I had a chance, there were many golfers in the tournament that were better than me most days. And at a little over 6700 yards is kind of long for me now that I'm 57. But I managed to hold it together over 54 holes.

I got a nice trophy, a parking place for the year, and my name added to a plaque of previous winners. And some money.

Well I guess retiring early and having the ability to golf as much as I want has finally paid off.

I finally won the club championship at our local country club. I never really figured I had a chance, there were many golfers in the tournament that were better than me most days. And at a little over 6700 yards is kind of long for me now that I'm 57. But I managed to hold it together over 54 holes.

I got a nice trophy, a parking place for the year, and my name added to a plaque of previous winners. And some money.

Wow! Congratulations! At 57, years old, that is an accomplishment! :dance:

Wow! Congratulations! At 57, years old, that is an accomplishment! :dance:

Well to be honest in SW Florida I'm not exactly one of the older guys at the club. But there were a few guys still in their 30's that were playing. There were 9 guys in the flight, and I was the one with the highest handicap. I just had a really good week.

Wow...congratulations! I am still busy hacking away...never scoring below 90. I RE'd almost 2 years ago (at 44) and can't seem to get better...maddeningly inconsistent. I still use my K-Mart special clubs though (with a used Callaway driver and used Taylor Made rescue)...figuring I will get fitted clubs when I get better...or do I have that backwards...get fitted clubs and then get better?

congrats - I don't think I could ever win the club championship - it's all match play, flighted - most of the guys in the first flight are +1 to 3 indexes

Wow...congratulations! I am still busy hacking away...never scoring below 90. I RE'd almost 2 years ago (at 44) and can't seem to get better...maddeningly inconsistent. I still use my K-Mart special clubs though (with a used Callaway driver and used Taylor Made rescue)...figuring I will get fitted clubs when I get better...or do I have that backwards...get fitted clubs and then get better?

practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent - get Hogan's book and take a few lessons - surprising how much difference simple things like grip, stance and pulling down with your core can make in a golf swing

practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent - get Hogan's book and take a few lessons - surprising how much difference simple things like grip, stance and pulling down with your core can make in a golf swing

Are you talking about "The Modern Fundamentals of Golf"? I looked through my collection of books and realized I have an old copy of that...which I apparently haven't put to good use.

Congratulations! May want to consider lessons from a pro. My guy told me not to bother with fitted clubs until I make a couple swing changes. :)

Congrats! We just moved to Hawaii two years ago. I had similar experience, winning in my first attempt at my new club, shooting 80-73when I was a few months short of 60 years old. Harder to defend, as I wasn't a factor this year.

Enjoy your year with your parking spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Are you talking about "The Modern Fundamentals of Golf"? I looked through my collection of books and realized I have an old copy of that...which I apparently haven't put to good use.

yup

Congratulations DM! I have never wasted my time entering club championships when I have been a member as I have 4 or 5 blow up holes that kill me. But I can do well in the cash skins games. Last fall I won 3 out of the 4 skins in a one day tourney pocketing close to $300. That really ticks the good players off when they shoot around par and neither place or win a skin. While a guy shooting 83 takes home the most loot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations. Never played any round of golf in my life, or have desire to change that. But coming out on top of any competitive event is something to be proud of. so enjoy the perks and congratulations for the time being!

Congrats!

( Winning any golf tournament is 2015 goal of mine. You beat me to me. )

I think you have it backwards.

1) Spring for new clubs. Today's clubs are so much more forgiving of slight mishits... well worth the money. IIRC I spent about $1k for middle of the road clubs when I retired and noticed a big difference.

2) Try a 2-3 day golf school to reboot your game. What I found is that it screwed me up for a while until I decided what they tried to teach me to incorporate into my game and what to stay with the old way I was doing it.

My advice, lessons, decent clubs and practice the short game like there is no tomorrow. Do the math, usually you can get it close to the green in two shots, and from there every stroke counts the same as a 250 yard drive. Three putts are score killers. Good skillful chipping and putting will shave more strokes off your score card than anything else.

Personally I am at the point in my life where I just like to go out and enjoy the course and commraderie and could care less if I shoot 100 or 80. Being almost 64 years old I'never break par but I'll still have a helluva a good time. In my prime I could shoot in the low 80s and every once in awhile break 40 for nine holes, also have two holes in one and with witnesses. Golf is a great game, enjoy it don't stress over it.

Fore :greetings10:

^ good advice - note you can get a really decent set of irons for under $300 - check out tgw.com - that's where I get most of my stuff

I've always splurged and bought new clubs but you can find deals on Craigslist and then just have them re-gripped.

Congratulations DM! I have never wasted my time entering club championships when I have been a member as I have 4 or 5 blow up holes that kill me. But I can do well in the cash skins games. Last fall I won 3 out of the 4 skins in a one day tourney pocketing close to $300. That really ticks the good players off when they shoot around par and neither place or win a skin. While a guy shooting 83 takes home the most loot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I play in a skins game most days. Today I shot 76 and didn't win a thing. I don't have a problem with that. It's just part of that game. I didn't make any birdies, so there was no way I was going to win anything.

I have a different strategy when I'm playing stroke play, it's not have any blow up holes. Skins you just let her rip.

I always shoot a 76. Sometimes it's just after 14 holes tho.

I think you have it backwards.

1) Spring for new clubs. Today's clubs are so much more forgiving of slight mishits... well worth the money. IIRC I spent about $1k for middle of the road clubs when I retired and noticed a big difference.

2) Try a 2-3 day golf school to reboot your game. What I found is that it screwed me up for a while until I decided what they tried to teach me to incorporate into my game and what to stay with the old way I was doing it.

My pro told me if he fits clubs to my old swing, I will need a new set again. If you are doing lessons, I think you should make the swing changes first, then fit the clubs to the new swing - or old if there was no change :)

Back
Top Bottom