Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi David and welcome!

While I'm still a "newbie" at this RE thing, I'm 52 and gave up the j*b last May, I wanted to pass on my agreement with Nords - once you give it a go, you'll be wondering just WHAT in the world you were worried about.

Before actually announcing my "semi-retirement" (retired accountant but will still do "tax season" until others can handle my client load ) and watching all of the "oh my God, what are you gonna do all day" faces.....I made a list of things that I needed to do and things that I wanted to do....actually QUITE a list - 3 pages of a notebook (that still sits next to this computer on my desk).....and I wanted you to know that although I am almost three months into this RE thing....I have YET to tackle even ONE of the items on my list!!....not one single item.....and I find myself repeating my Dad's words that "I can't even find enough time in the day to do the things that I NEED to do, let alone what I WANT to do!"

So....NO WORRIES MATE.....give it a whirl.....what's the worst that could happen......you find that you need to find another j*b to keep your sanity?.....at least then, it will be a j*b that YOU want....and not that you need!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 04:43 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boredom is the least of my ER concerns.

I have plenty of hobbies and interests.

How many times in your life have you made some major change and things turned out OK and you adjusted. The change may have been favorable or unfavorable, still you adjusted. For example:
  • Change career or jobs
  • Divorce or Marriage
  • Relocation
  • Loss of job.
  • Death of family member.
I view ER as a positive move that I can handle quite well. Of course, if my finances were not right... I would just complicate my life and add more uncertainty/stress.

My only concern about ER is finances and the uncertainty it presents in terms of maintaining a certain lifestyle.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #23

Boredom...

When I was about 10, I was wanting a new bicycle so I devised what I thought was a very clever plan: I would tell my Dad I was bored, he would reply "What do you need to keep you occupied?" I would answer "a new bicycle" and, bingo, my Dad would pony up for my new bike.

The very next day I sprang the trap. The old man never batted an eye and said come with me and as we walked to to the garage I just couldn't believe how lucky I was; he was going to take me to the hardware store right now!

Then it all went seriously wrong...

He backed the car out, handed me a broom and said "Sweep out the garage. Do it again in the morning after I leave for work and keep sweeping it until I tell you to stop.

He did me a great service; I have never been bored since.

Retirement Rules!

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:59 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Boredom...

When I was about 10, I was wanting a new bicycle so I devised what I thought was a very clever plan: I would tell my Dad I was bored, he would reply "What do you need to keep you occupied?" I would answer "a new bicycle" and, bingo, my Dad would pony up for my new bike.

The very next day I sprang the trap. The old man never batted an eye and said come with me and as we walked to to the garage I just couldn't believe how lucky I was; he was going to take me to the hardware store right now!

Then it all went seriously wrong...

He backed the car out, handed me a broom and said "Sweep out the garage. Do it again in the morning after I leave for work and keep sweeping it until I tell you to stop.

He did me a great service; I have never been bored since.

Retirement Rules!

Lance
Did you ever get the bike?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone was so convinced I would be bored when I stopped work this spring people were calling me to go to lunch or go shopping, two of my least favorite activities.
I joined a local pottery studio and have had a ball hanging out and throwing pots. My studio is full of artists and I am fullfilling a lifelong dream. My other artistic traits are blossoming as well. Photography, a painting class, learning photoshop and webpage design, make a wooden boat, garden, pick up that old guitar or banjo, restore an old motorcycle or car, learn to cook everything from scratch, get into remote control boating or car racing, the list is endless. Make your own list of anything you ever thought you might try. If something doesn't work out cross it out and go to the next thing. No worries.
Most don't have time to exercise when they work full time. Take care of your health and ramp up your exercise program. Yoga, TaiChi, spinning, weightlifting, running, biking. Hang around your local Y or gym and you will meet good people. Join a bike club or a canoe club or if the climate is right a ski club. We recently ran into a triathalon club, they were very interesting people and most were not young.
Do some Traveling. Rick Steves has great European tours and there are many tours that go all over the world if you don't want to go alone.

The funny thing is I thought I would volunteer more but I have little desire right now. That might change, I just do some soup kitchen work and some work with wounded American Soldiers.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks to everyone who replied. Some great ideas and things to think about. Having this nest egg does give me many options - sometimes having too many options is stressful.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #27

Hello David,

Here is a link that may perhaps be of some interest: Early Retirement.

Regards,

Milton
Old 08-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied. Some great ideas and things to think about. Having this nest egg does give me many options - sometimes having too many options is stressful.
to paraphrase dory36 when i joined this forum and was first trying to come to grips with all these new possibilities: what a nice problem to have, he said.

i think a few things keep me from being bored. one is that i am easily amused and quick to laugh especially at myself. while i never took life all that seriously in the short-run, i have always worked to know myself and to understand the world in which i find myself, even at the risk of discovering things which i might not like or what might be just down right scary.

one of the things which makes me think that i would rather be dead than suffer alzheimer's (per a concurrent thread) is that then i would lose the ability to learn, to grow, to even question & to explore myself & this world. besides wanting to be here for mom, those are the things which have made my life worth living. well, that, the beer and the sex.

people get bored when they stop challenging themselves. maybe you are single and a good challenge would be developing an intimate relationship. maybe you have been in a bad marriage and a good challenge would be to see how you handle life solo.

i have been traveling vicariously through the pages of national geographic since i can remember, but i have yet to as much as run away from home. so the challenge i've set for myself in early retirement is a vagabond life. i don't mind saying that i'm scared. so i'm easing myself into it.

my first trip to the blue ridge mountains saw me running back home after just a few days away. my last trip to the smokey mountains kept me out of the house for almost 2 weeks. even though 9 days of that was with family, i'm still counting it as time on the road. next month i'm doing a road trip to new york during the height of hurricane season and this scares the hell out of me to abandon my house at this time.

but i gotta get myself used to the uncertainties if i ever want to take advantage of the possibilities. and even if the house gets hit while i'm away at least it won't be boring.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

David,

Let us look at worst case scenario.

You are a bored free man, that can pretty much do whatever you want.

or you are a slave to a J*B.

For this excellent advice I will charge you one martini one day if we meet!
Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Did you ever get the bike?
No chance!

My parents bought me my first bike when I was six. I cut lawns and bought a three speed when I was 12

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #31

At age 45 I retired from the Air Force. Could have stayed retired, but really was not ready. Went into business for myself as a Real Estate appraiser ended up working for a large bank. Did that for 10 years and then retired again. Stayed home played with computers, took long walks, generally did the mess around. Got an offer to be an MIS director for county government. Worked another 7 years. This was different than any other work I have done. You see when you do something you like, and you know and your boss knows, you don’t need the job, things are truly different. He forgot that, retired again. Live on a lake, take long walks, play with the dog, read this forum, read an occasional book, tend the yard, sleep late in the morning, generally do ‘whatever!’. Would I go back to work…. Sure, if someone offers me the right job. Right now, however, I can’t conceive what that would be.

So, ‘What will you do’, what ever you want! And, that is what, IMHO is what retirement is all about!