Costco Wines

We often buy Kirkland brand wine. Great products,,,,,ever greater value.

In some of the interviews with Costco personnel about their wines, they mention that regular brands have a 10% markup, but the Kirkland labels have 15% markup. However, cutting out the middleman means that the Kirkland labels are still quite a bit cheaper to the end customer.

I can see why Costco has been expanding the labels. Still the quality is not suffering. There just seems to be more types of wine and more regions available under the Kirkland label.

Kirkland bourbon at $20 for a liter is very good. I think it is smoother than some other name brands at a much better price point. Their scotch isn't too bad either I've been told.

We buy a lot of wine at Costco and I'm happy to have the wine blog and the ap. The Costco vodka is excellent too!

Colorado had a quirky law that limits each retailer to ONE liquor store in the state! They just increased that to five, but most retailers haven't increased their store counts quite yet. Our costco liquor store is way over on the other side of town, but we still make the pilgrimage regularly.

We've been enjoying the Kirkland Napa Meritage, Rutherford Meritage and the Russian River Pinot. the "wine lady" at the our costco store puts out a regular letter about wines in the store. I wish they their inventory online.

Colorado had a quirky law that limits each retailer to ONE liquor store in the state! They just increased that to five, but most retailers haven't increased their store counts quite yet. Our costco liquor store is way over on the other side of town, but we still make the pilgrimage regularly.

We've been enjoying the Kirkland Napa Meritage, Rutherford Meritage and the Russian River Pinot. the "wine lady" at the our costco store puts out a regular letter about wines in the store. I wish they their inventory online.

Wow - I'm shocked that Colorado hasn't relaxed such a strange liquor law. Of course often distributors are behind funny business like that - keeping odd old liquor laws on the books.

Wow - I'm shocked that Colorado hasn't relaxed such a strange liquor law. Of course often distributors are behind funny business like that - keeping odd old liquor laws on the books.
Strange indeed, because pot shop chains are allowed.

The best Costco for buying wines is in Novato California (near Sonoma/Nappa). The selection is outstanding and the prices much better than the vineyards in the area. With respect to Kirkland wines they are okay, but I would not pay $29 to $40 per bottle for some of the premium Kirkland wines that I sometimes see. I also would not serve Kirkland wines to guests over for dinner. Some are good table wines but you can buy wines that are just as good from Trader Joe's for far less.

The best Costco for buying wines is in Novato California (near Sonoma/Nappa)...

LOL, that's my hometown. Been there with my Mom several times, but haven't ever looked at their wine selection. I'll have to check it out when I'm there next week and see if it's any better than what we have in San Diego.

LOL, that's my hometown. Been there with my Mom several times, but haven't ever looked at their wine selection. I'll have to check it out when I'm there next week and see if it's any better than what we have in San Diego.

I'm pretty sure you can go into most Costcos and buy wine without a membership.

Here's a quote from an article about buying wine at Costco.

"Think outside your local Costco store to search for wine bargains. I discovered that in Northern California, three Costco stores have the biggest and best wine departments. These are the Redwood City store, the Concord store, and the Novato store. The wine guy at the Novato Costco boasted he was the largest of the big three with over 400 different labels on the shelf. These three stores have impressive inventories of wine ranging in price and quality, from everyday-style wines to expensive Cabs and French wines costing over $100. They have a large assortment of imports at these three stores."

The selection in Novato is vastly superior to the selection we have at stores in the Los Angeles area or the one's at Palm Beach County Florida. Although the Costco locations in Florida have a better selection of French and Italian wines. But I drink California wines 90% of the time.

The Redwood City store has my vote for worst Costco anywhere for parking. The lot is close to full when they open and don't go near the place at lunchtime. It is probably the most active participant in the Google Express program. That store is probably one of the highest dollar per square foot sales volume stores in the chain. It makes sense that they have an extensive wine selection, as that store serves some of the wealthiest zip codes on the Peninsula.

I'm pretty sure you can go into most Costcos and buy wine without a membership.

Oh I do have a Costco membership. I just thought it was amusing that Novato -- which I still think of as the small town where people kept horses in their yards when I was a kid -- has a better wine selection than the big city. Times do change. :)

Back
Top Bottom