Costco? What makes it awesome for you?

Sue J, I've only been a member for a couple of years but their customer service is excellent.

We saved $300-400 *each* on our latest prescription lenses/frames compared to the optometrist prices. That's enough to pay for many years' worth of membership fees. And we'll probably update our prescriptions within two years down in Mexico. Everything else is just extra.

Spent $4800 in past few weeks at Costco and Costco on line. Tires, king size bed, TV, lamps, leather recliner, tires, etc. Saved $1800 over identical items at other stores.

In addition to everything mentioned, their gas station. Lots of stations, allowing quick fill up even if you are car #8 or so in line. Went to Costco today with the idea of filling up (.25 tank) and picking up a few things, but saw the lines, looked at each other, huh, lines on Monday morning and decided next time.

Ran into and talked to some friends, they had the same thoughts...what are all of these people doing at Costco on a Monday morning. Realized that it was due to concerns Harvey will have on the gas supply with increased prices, availability of gas, etc. We decided to wait in line and fill up :greetings10:.

Listening between the lines the Galveston ship channel to the refineries in that area will soon be open.

I have a quick question, if I have a current prescription for glasses, do I make an appointment or do I just go into Costco with the prescription and wait my turn? Or something else?

Anyone ever by a car through the Costco automobile program. I'm starting to look around and was wondering how it compares to AAA, etc in term of discounts.

I have a quick question, if I have a current prescription for glasses, do I make an appointment or do I just go into Costco with the prescription and wait my turn? Or something else?

Just walk in with your prescription. Wait at the optical counter,

Anyone ever by a car through the Costco automobile program. I'm starting to look around and was wondering how it compares to AAA, etc in term of discounts.

I tried it last year. Got "supplier" pricing on a new pickup. Didn't use it as that pricing was about $800 off MSRP. Dealer was offering 20% off MSRP, or $9,000. Total waste of time.

I tried the Costco car buying thing a couple of years ago. Not impressed. The participating dealers came back with quotes for around 20-22k for a 2015 Ford C-Max. I was able to find one on a lot for $17k (ad had the VIN number), and went with that.

It was useful for verifying that the 17k offer was an excellent price, I guess!

Years ago, a friend bought a car via Costco, he told me his price was $1,000 cheaper than his friend who bought the exact same car at the same dealer and spent hours negotiating.

Maybe it's not good now, or never was, but it can't hurt to try it out as at least you will have some number to compare.

The family and I just spent a 7 night trip in our first VRBO (I'll write more on that tomorrow). What was awesome for me is that my son and I went to the local costco and stocked up. We got ground beef, NY strip steaks, chicken breasts, milk(s), cereal(s), cases of water, pop, paper plates' paper bowels, bread(s), muffins, buns, granola bars and lunch meats all for 8 people, 7 are adults. I'm not even listing everything but it was about $350. An amount that would easily be saved just by eating in for 3 meals.

We then went to a local grocery store to buy the stuff that we didn't want to get in bulk (sticks of butter/diapers for grand kiddo) since we weren't planning on packing anything back with us....we went to a vons seems like a small grocery store chain. We bought sliced cheese, bag of chips, small pack of diapers, small pack of baby swimming diapers, sun screen, frozen pizzas some packs of m and m's, DW's specific type of pop flavor, a few other items and it came to $250 for 3 bags of groceries when $100 more was an overflowing cart of Costco goods.

It might have been cheaper to buy the bigger packs and left them at the home?? Costco is awesome because it provides a great value and I have to shop out of my normal routine to sometimes realize that.

...we went to a vons seems like a small grocery store chain...

Vons is part of the Albertsons conglomerate, which is about the same size as Kroger and its subsidiaries. Prices vary according to location, so you may have been in a more expensive area.

Savings on glasses & hearing aid overall in last year are $1K plus vs. alternatives.

DW still gets contacts thru Sams (no membership needed) because tho contacts themselves are ~ same price, each require you to use their optometrist & Sams are $30 less in our area.

Many of their meat/fish portions are too big for us.

Yes on glasses. Contacts different: Need to use their optometrist.

Serrano ham on sale at Costco!!

The Costco Christmas gift flyer came this afternoon. (I know, its way to early). But, but, but...........They have a sale on Serrano ham! The regular price is $199 for a 9.5 lb boneless ham. See the link below. The gift flyer shows the price as $149, a $50 discount. The sale dates are from 11/27 until 12/24 online only.

D'Artagnan 18-month Aged Boneless Spanish Serrano Ham

If only Costco sold a good bottle or two of wine we could drink with the ham.......:D

Last edited:
...........The regular price is $199 for a 9.5 lb boneless ham. See the link below. The gift flyer shows the price as $149, a $50 discount. ..........
Wow, they sure must have loved that pig.

I haven’t even begun to try the pharmacy, glasses and hearing aids etc but I love Costco. My Costco is about a mile from a kroger and a Lidl so I have lots of choices depending on my needs. I can’t use giant packaged of food, but my septoc tank likes their toilet paper! I buy trash bags, greens, batteries, that sort of thing. I try to buy gas there almost exclusively. It has paid for itself. Would I go there on a Saturday with small children in tow? Hell no!
It’s not a good choice if you are an impulse shopper.

Last edited:
Just got a new set of tires on the car at 8 AM this morning. $70 off and $0.01 installation. Better than ordering from Tire Rack and paying for installation or buying locally and waiting three hours for installation. Downside is no waiting room. The store does not open until 10, so nowhere to wander around and spend.

The Costco Christmas gift flyer came this afternoon. (I know, its way to early). But, but, but...........They have a sale on Serrano ham! The regular price is $199 for a 9.5 lb boneless ham. See the link below. The gift flyer shows the price as $149, a $50 discount. The sale dates are from 11/27 until 12/24 online only.

D'Artagnan 18-month Aged Boneless Spanish Serrano Ham

If only Costco sold a good bottle or two of wine we could drink with the ham.......:D

I recommend the Kirkland 2011 Ribera Del Duero Gran Reserva to go with it :D
2011 Kirkland Signature Ribera del Duero Gran Reserva - CostcoWineBlog.com

I have gotten contacts at Costco for several years and never used their optometrist. Never heard of this requirement.

Back
Top Bottom