Criteria - Why did you select your ER city/town/community?

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
This is not addressed to those who decided to stay put, live near relatives, or return to a previous home.

Some of us are picking a retirement location "out of the blue", based on various criteria that are important to us. The internet has been a great tool in finding such places, once the criteria are determined.

If that seems to be your approach, then I have two questions:

1) What are/were your criteria in selecting your retirement community?
2) What community did you end up choosing, if you have found one by now?

For example, my answers to these questions are:

Our Criteria:
1) very, very cheap housing and low cost of living
2) town between 50,000 and 250,000, adequate medical care but remote
3) far away from hurricanes
4) reasonably low crime
5) as warm a climate and as "southern" a feel to the local culture as the above criteria would allow

Community: We have tentatively selected Springfield, Missouri.

My apologies if this has been covered in earlier threads. As far as I can tell, this has not been addressed recently so it might be fun to see what present posters here have been thinking.

My criteria or preferences:

1. Climate (mild and dry, low pollution).
2. Mountains, lakes, shore, parks for walking, hiking and biking.
3. Book stores, movies, shopping malls/plaza (for DW), restaurants (multi-nationals).
4. Hospitals and clinics (health care).
4. Affordable housing / cost of living (if this is out of reach, then the rest does not matter).
5. Traffic

Spanky

Spanky said:
My criteria or preferences:

1. Climate (mild and dry, low pollution).
2. Mountains, lakes, shore, parks for walking, hiking and biking.
3. Book stores, movies, shopping malls/plaza (for DW), restaurants (multi-nationals).
4. Hospitals and clinics (health care).
4. Affordable housing / cost of living (if this is out of reach, then the rest does not matter).
5. Traffic
That's a great set of criteria.

I was sent to Monterey, California for work in January (I know, it's a tough life! :LOL:). Monterey seemed to meet these criteria to some extent, although housing is pretty steep. I have no idea if it might be less in areas outside of town. The restaurants and shops didn't have ultra-high prices (except for the touristy souvenirs that I wanted, and I expected that). For example, my dinner at a very nice Italian/seafood restaurant right on the water at Fisherman's Wharf was $22, and that was for one of the higher priced seafood dinners (more than I could possibly eat).

Also, although there isn't MUCH traffic in Monterey, if there is one other person on the road he'll be speeding, tailgating you, and acting like you are singlehandedly blocking a multi-lane road. But it is a beautiful area, meeting your other criteria wonderfully!

1. Small city - 30,000 to 100,000 (Large enough to serve you; small enough to know you)
2. Good value real estate
3. Clean environment with good city/county management
4. Mild climate with a noticable change of season
5. Close enough to a big city for a weekend visit.

Springfield, MO is an interesting choice for someone from NOLa. I like the area, too. It is right between the Great Plains and the Ozarks. SW Mo. and NW Ark. are flourishing right now. Branson and Eureka Springs are popular tourist destinations. I have a 90 yr. old uncle living in a small town in SW Mo. and he loves it. He is very healthy and independent; typical of the "midwestern gentleman"; (he is) most comfortable in his bib overalls, flannel shirt, and pick-up truck!

For me, choosing a place "out of the blue" would be a lot riskier now than it was 30 yrs. ago. I am surprised at how many "hooks" I have to certain places, people and things as I have grown older. I would have to be sure that my destination held promise to my hopes and dreams. It would have to be worth leaving an environment I have become very accustomed to for many years. I could do it if I really wanted to; but I would have to soul search hard to make the commitment.

Right now, we are staying put because we are close to aging parents. However, both DW and I have expressed a desire to live in "our ideal locale" once we figure out what it is.

BTW: I grew up in NE Oklahoma. The climate up there can be very unpredictable. Do you mind shoveling snow? How do you react to tornadoes? In Tulsa, they have a storm alert siren at the fair grounds. It can be heard all over the city. It goes off when a storm front approaches with potential for tornadic activity. I heard one go off when I was visiting there last year. It really gets your attention!

OkieTexan said:
1. Small city - 30,000 to 100,000 (Large enough to serve you; small enough to know you)
2. Good value real estate
3. Clean environment with good city/county management
4. Mild climate with a noticable change of season
5. Close enough to a big city for a weekend visit.

Interesting criteria! For some reason, these make me think of towns in Mississippi, such as Meridian or Hattiesburg.

OkieTexan said:
Springfield, MO is an interesting choice for someone from NOLa. I like the area, too. It is right between the Great Plains and the Ozarks.

When we started looking for places online (using the above criteria), Springfield kept popping up. My grandparents lived there. Though I no longer have any living relatives there and hadn't been there since 1962 or so, this was probably at least partially why I noticed it so much during my search. We went up there twice last year, on one week vacations, and fell in love with the place. Although no place is perfect, it seems to be just what we want.

OkieTexan said:
For me, choosing a place "out of the blue" would be a lot riskier now than it was 30 yrs. ago. I am surprised at how many "hooks" I have to certain places, people and things as I have grown older. I would have to be sure that my destination held promise to my hopes and dreams. It would have to be worth leaving an environment I have become very accustomed to for many years. I could do it if I really wanted to; but I would have to soul search hard to make the commitment.

Good point. Due to factors beyond my control, I have lived substantial parts of my life in each of 7 different southern and western states (8, if northern and southern Calif. are considered different states!). My relatives that are not dead are scattered all over the world. I went to high school in Hawaii, but cannot possibly afford to move back there. When I got "The Job" in New Orleans, I was determined to set down roots and FINALLY feel like I was a permanent resident somewhere. Other people want to travel, but I just want roots! :LOL:

Unfortunately, after eleven years in Louisiana the New Orleans I adopted no longer exists, will take decades to rebuild if ever, and I have no desire to spend my retirement years surrounded by tragedy, misery and devastation on a Biblical scale. For me, living here in the city I once loved is like living with a dead body in the parlor. I need to build a new life somewhere else.

OkieTexan said:
Right now, we are staying put because we are close to aging parents. However, both DW and I have expressed a desire to live in "our ideal locale" once we figure out what it is.

It's good to think ahead! I am actually doing that too, since I cannot retire for 2-3 years or so. I am leaving the option of staying in New Orleans open, but as time passes I just can't see much changing before I retire.

OkieTexan said:
BTW: I grew up in NE Oklahoma. The climate up there can be very unpredictable. Do you mind shoveling snow?

I have no idea, though I have heard it is hard work even with a snow blower. I suppose that I will probably have to hire someone to help me with snow in the winter and grass in the summer. I don't think I would choose a house with a sidewalk - - more snow to shovel. Then all that I would need to shovel would be the driveway, I suppose, and then only if I wanted to drive out of my garage. I am thinking of having a large pantry full of nonperishables, and living close enough to businesses that I could walk (with those metal no-slip things for walking on ice, if it is icy). I am really not used to snow and ice so all of this is uncertain for me right now.

OkieTexan said:
How do you react to tornadoes? In Tulsa, they have a storm alert siren at the fair grounds. It can be heard all over the city. It goes off when a storm front approaches with potential for tornadic activity. I heard one go off when I was visiting there last year. It really gets your attention!

I can imagine! We had a two tornados that tore through New Orleans two weeks ago, killing one and injuring more, and destroying over a dozen homes. We were supposed to get more last night and the Parish (=county) said they would send out fire trucks with their horns blaring, to wake us up, if there was a tornado warning. Luckily, this time we lucked out. New Orleans isn't generally very tornado prone, though we have had destructive tornados within the city limits in both 2006 and 2007. Seems like bad luck comes in threes.

A tornado jumped over me and destroyed houses on either side when I lived in Meridian, MS in the 1970's, so I'm not unfamiliar with them and have a healthy respect for them. If I don't end up with a basement in Springfield, maybe I will have a tornado shelter installed in the back yard.

Want2Retire
I was sent to Monterey, California for work in January (I know, it's a tough life!). Monterey seemed to meet these criteria to some extent, although housing is pretty steep. I have no idea if it might be less in areas outside of town.

You might try Marina. It's close by, but not as developed or expensive. You still have access to all the benefits of the Bay Area, and housing is cheaper. You must like a multi-cultural society, however. At least it would give you an 'in' and you could get started, housing-wise.

Our criteria for a retirement location:
1. good weather (mostly warm and sunny, no frozen pipes in the winter, no piles of snow and slush for traffic)
2. Cost of living
3. Close to an international airport
4. Amenities - libraries, good food shopping, entertainment options, hiking, biking, tennis, etc.
5. Small city population

On our Preferred Links Page: http://retireearlylifestyle.com/favorite_er_links.htm you can use Find Your Spot and take their online quiz. I think it's one of the best relocation recommendation services in the country.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Billy said:
You might try Marina. It's close by, but not as developed or expensive. You still have access to all the benefits of the Bay Area, and housing is cheaper. You must like a multi-cultural society, however. At least it would give you an 'in' and you could get started, housing-wise.

Great! That might fit Spanky's criteria well, though not mine, of course. :)

Billy said:
Our criteria for a retirement location:
1. good weather (mostly warm and sunny, no frozen pipes in the winter, no piles of snow and slush for traffic)
2. Cost of living
3. Close to an international airport
4. Amenities - libraries, good food shopping, entertainment options, hiking, biking, tennis, etc.
5. Small city population

Tucson? Maybe that's not small enough. Hmm!! Interesting set of criteria.

Billy said:
I think it's one of the best relocation recommendation services in the country.

I'm sure it is a great service for most people, Akaisha! Thank you for pointing it out. I enthusiastically agree that online quizzes for identifying one's ideal location are a good step in starting one's online search. This quiz is not as lengthy as some, and requires identifying information to get results (so I didn't take it). However, Springfield popped up pretty consistently in many of the other online quizzes available that I have taken. That initially brought Springfield and a few other towns to my attention.

Monterey is pretty and about 2 hours drive to the Bay Area. It meet most of my criteria except for cost of housing. Marina is less expensive than Monterey but still not that affordable.

warm winters
cool summers
lots of swimming
changing scenery
sunset parties
pot luck dinners
at least 6 feet of water
floating docks &
not too much traffic in the local shipping lanes

Mountains, mountains and more mountains to climb
four full seasons
close enough to young and fun nieces and nephews
place where real estate was affordable when I bought in
interesting cultural and sporting activities, and 2 hours from loads more, N, S, E or W
hospitals and emergency and police very close and responsive
small city, can walk many places I need to go, with enough diversity to keep it interesting

I've been wrestling with this question, but I haven't FIRE'ed yet. My experience may still be useful here. I have moved about every 2 years on average for my career. I tried surveys and looked into locations recommended in magazines based on various criteria of mine. Sometimes locations were recommended where I already had experience living, and I found that my experience didn't agree at all with the survey. I still think surveys and data gathering are the best way to start, but it's important to check it out in person for a test period.

Diversity of physical and mental activities were high on my list along with the basics of access to healthcare and housing that I could afford. I enjoy all the seasons and snow as much as summer. I found its really important that the local culture is one that you are comfortable with, and I haven't seen a survey that has a way to measure that yet.

In all the locations I've lived I found that the Colorado front range was by far the best for me. It's like a well kept secret about how mild the weather is on the front range. We would go skiing on Saturday and golfing on Sunday in January. We'd have to drive over an hour to the ski resorts at higher altitudes. I liked it so much that I kept my house and rented it out so I could afford to go back there after ER.

I still think I'll end up getting a RV and traveling around for a year or two before identifying a place to settle. I'll enjoy the adventure of investigating all the places to ER.

1. A place my wife agrees to live (she picked it).
2. A charming small town with all the necessities, 2,500 people. (We live in a town of 1,000 now.
3. Lots of lakes with hunting & fishing within 25 miles.
4. Lots of public land where there are few NO TRESPASSING signs.
5. A reasonable distance from where we're currently living, so I'm not known by everybody by my former occupation.
6. A four season climate, with opportunity for winter sports as well.
7. Dogs welcome.
8. A place that welcomes a modest lifestyle.

We spend some time here every year now and have grown to really like it there. We've made some friends and are really looking forward to it.

Want2Retire
This quiz is not as lengthy as some, and requires identifying information to get results (so I didn't take it).
I took the quiz to be current and in the end it asked for my name, address, email and tele. #. I know that if I were serious about relocating, I wouldn't mind giving that info out, but of course, that decision is up to each individual. Or, I suppose I could use a friend's address ... ?? Most of these things have privacy policies or terms of agreements.

Slarty
I still think surveys and data gathering are the best way to start, but it's important to check it out in person for a test period.

I agree. I wouldn't consider moving to a new location without any first hand experience. I have suggested renting in a location first, getting a feel for the 4 seasons and weather patterns, where the grocery stores are, what the traffic is, and so on. Are the people friendly? etc.

I found its really important that the local culture is one that you are comfortable with, and I haven't seen a survey that has a way to measure that yet.

One can sometimes tell by the organizations that are in the area. Organizations reflect the local population's beliefs. Or sometimes you can get a handle on the mindset by the entertainment options offered. But again, nothing beats first hand experience. What's the rush?

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

I was living in S. CA since early 80's - got my career job - loved s. CA. Thencame the kids - we knew we needed to get out of S. CA - the schools...the air etc.
Got promoted to regional manager of the NW - and could live anywhere in the 7 states I managed.
I knew where we picked would be where we stayed - looked around ALOT and ended up in the foothills of the Sierra. Transistion area - we get snow, but it lasts a few days max and yet less than a 12 min drive and there is often snow on the ground all winter. Lots of lakes, skiing, incredible ATVing, wineries, good resturants, great people, can be in SanFran in 1 and a half hours. Lots of critters on the property - a troop of about 20 turkeys went by earlier this afternoon, foxes, bobcats, mountain lions are seen....and a pot bellied pig. We are here for life.
We wanted it all and we found it :)

I plan to retire soon, if everything works out. I plan to make South Dakota my retirement base. However, I will spend a lot of my time traveling while full-timing in my RV in the southwest portion of the U.S. I chose South Dakato for no state income tax, low registration fees for vehicles, low insurance costs and no personal property tax.

I choose Fla. for 2 main reasons, I like the hot weather and that's where the grand kids are. Been here 3 months so far and it couldn't be better. Oh yeah, not working is a good thing.

Want2retire said:
Community: We have tentatively selected Springfield, Missouri.

It is easy to see why you like Springfield, MO.
Here is what I would like about it.

1. Size: around 150,000
2. College town: MSU
3. The Redbirds (Texas League baseball team)
4. Ozark fall foliage
5. Proximity to attractions in Branson, NW Ark. & Ozarks

If you don't mind the winters, there is a lot to like.

Speaking of basements, one of the houses I lived in as a child in Oklahoma had a basement bedroom. My parents didn't like it; so they let me have it. Man, I could turn up the stereo as loud as I wanted!! :bat:

We retired last year and wanted to get away from the rat race of Southern California. We became mortgage refugees in a city of 70,000 in the Pacific Northwest, just East of the Cascades, with an annual precipitation and number of sunny days the same as San Diego. There are lakes to fish in, rivers to kayak in, and mountains to ski down. People are not hurried and have time to stop and talk to you. Road rage is a rare occurrence, utilities are much cheaper, neighbors are friendly, and the Ponderosa Pines are breathtaking.

OkieTexan said:
It is easy to see why you like Springfield, MO.
Here is what I would like about it.

1. Size: around 150,000
2. College town: MSU
3. The Redbirds (Texas League baseball team)
4. Ozark fall foliage
5. Proximity to attractions in Branson, NW Ark. & Ozarks

If you don't mind the winters, there is a lot to like.

There sure is. Drury is there as well as MSU, by the way, although I don't think either university will give a senior a break on tuition or anything like that.

Springfield is clean and pleasant. I feel safe there. There are parks, golf courses, and walking trails throughout Springfield.

If you visit, check out the Bass Pro Shop. It's the original, and a lot bigger than any in other cities. Inside you will find a restaurant, museum, and aquarium as well as hundreds of boats, a shooting arcade, and lots more.

I think I will be able to manage the winters. I can't think of any way to know for sure, until I try it. At least it's an adventure. :)

OkieTexan said:
Speaking of basements, one of the houses I lived in as a child in Oklahoma had a basement bedroom. My parents didn't like it; so they let me have it. Man, I could turn up the stereo as loud as I wanted!! :bat:

Sounds like fun! I am a little leery about basements. Never had one, and would only want one for a tornado shelter. I've heard that they get wet, sump pumps break, rats live there, and such. So, I am thinking of getting a house on a slab instead.

Retire Soon said:
We retired last year and wanted to get away from the rat race of Southern California. We became mortgage refugees in a city of 70,000 in the Pacific Northwest, just East of the Cascades, with an annual precipitation and number of sunny days the same as San Diego. There are lakes to fish in, rivers to kayak in, and mountains to ski down. People are not hurried and have time to stop and talk to you. Road rage is a rare occurrence, utilities are much cheaper, neighbors are friendly, and the Ponderosa Pines are breathtaking.

Sounds beautiful!! Is it cold? Not that Springfield isn't, at least for a while each winter.

I haven't retired yet but have done the online polls and read a lot of the magazines. I also have the experience of living all over the country (miltary brat and now serving mysef).
My criteria is

1. Warm weather year round, sunny and dry
2. Reasonable cost of living
3. Big city with lots to do, pro sports etc
4. Mounatins for hiking and biking

My tentative place right now is the Phoenix area

My second choice would be San Antonio, cheaper cost of living but not as sunny or mounatins

Want2retire,

Yes, it is cold, but I'm not less comfortable than I was in San Diego. We just dress for the weather.

Retire Soon said:
Want2retire,

Yes, it is cold, but I'm not less comfortable than I was in San Diego. We just dress for the weather.

But ... it's not as cold as Minnesota.

We haven't pinpointed our final destination, but have put together the following list:

1. Warmth. Nothing beats being able to wear your shorts in winter when the rest of the country is freezing.
2. Water. Much of Australia is currently undergoing water rationing and it is expected to worsen in coming years. As I like long showers and a lush gardens up to the tropics we go.
3. Beach. I like to be near the beach as nothing beats the smell of the ocean. A relaxing walk along the beach each day to clear my head is a real treat.
4. Interesting scenery. My DH's hobby is photography, so to accomodate his desires we need to be within an hours drive of things for him to photograph. We don't want all of the same in every direction we go.
5. Airport. As we plan on travelling we would like to be within a 90 minute drive of a reasonably sized airport.
6. Size. We previously lived in a very remote location in Australia and it didn't work. We are happy to live in a smaller sized town (5,000-10,000) as long as there is a good sized town within a reasonable driving distance. To us that would be 3 hours.

Our most likely destinations are either Port Douglas or Mission Beach on the Great Barrier Reef.

Back
Top Bottom