Cruising World - How much is enough?

FlowGirl

Recycles dryer sheets
New issue of Cruising World just arrived and there is a great piece at the end of the issue titled - "How Much is Enough?"  It had some nice tidbits about the value of accumulating more and maintaining lifestyle vs. quitting work and living your dreams as soon as possible.  A few excerpts:

"Many people who dream of cruising hope to save enough money first so they can return home afterward and resume living as they did before, without working again - a tall order.  But depending on how you're living now waiting until you have enough saved so you can continue current spending levels may mean you can't go until after retirement, if ever."

Also:

"'The earlier, the better,' said one of our friends... 'You get more years afterward to enjoy your new passions, new language skills perhaps, a new perspective on the rest of your life.'"

The essay was geared more towards people looking to take a break from work rather than quit altogether, but the philosophy was definitely applicable towards those looking to ER. 

The main thing I took away from it is this - once you've quit work and started doing something satisfying (in this case - cruising), you have a much different perspective on the need to have "more." Once you have free time, you start to wonder why you ever thought you needed the big house, the fancy car, and take-out dinners in the first place.  As the author says:

"...cruising has changed our tastes and altered our priorites... going out to a halfway-decent restaurant once in a blue moon is more fun now than it ever was in our working days, when doing so was a relief from dervishly whirling weeks."

Anyway, thought it was interesting.

<<<"...cruising has changed our tastes and altered our priorites... going out to a halfway-decent restaurant once in a blue moon is more fun now than it ever was in our working days, when doing so was a relief from dervishly whirling weeks.">>>

Interesting topic, Flowergirl. My co-worker and I just received a $25.00 gift certificate. We both are savers and I mentioned to her that if I was spending what I was earning the $25 wouldn't mean much to me. But since I'm on a budget I really appreciated receiving it.

-helen

Helen said:
<<<"...cruising has changed our tastes and altered our priorites... going out to a halfway-decent restaurant once in a blue moon is more fun now than it ever was in our working days, when doing so was a relief from dervishly whirling weeks.">>>

Interesting topic, Flowergirl.  My co-worker and I just received a $25.00 gift certificate.  We both are savers and I mentioned to her that if I was spending what I was earning the $25 wouldn't mean much to me.  But since I'm on a budget I really appreciated receiving it.

-helen

I would probably "regift" it. :)

JG

Travel has a way of putting life into perspective. My wife and I spend months at a time on the road, and living out of a suitcase requires the discipline to pick a few essentails and offset this with travel and experinces that more than make up for the challenges of on the road living. When we get back we are amazed we have so much stuff. Its a valuable excercise to pack your bags and change your point of view.

LEX said:
Travel has a way of putting life into perspective.  My wife and I spend months at a time on the road, and living out of a suitcase requires the discipline to pick a few essentails and offset this with travel and experinces that more than make up for the challenges of on the road living.  When we get back we are amazed we have so much stuff. Its a valuable excercise to pack your bags and change your point of view. 

One of the things I used to love about long motorcycle trips.

JG

I really enjoy long motorcycle trips... 5600 miles in May by myself... 3500 miles in June by myself... 4900 miles in July with my DW. I will probably do another long ride in August, September (with DW) and October before the riding season ends in Wisconsin.

Gonzo

Gonzo said:
I really enjoy long motorcycle trips... 5600 miles in May by myself... 3500 miles in June by myself... 4900 miles in July with my DW. I will probably do another long ride in August, September (with DW) and October before the riding season ends in Wisconsin.

Gonzo

Gonzo,
That's sounds like a lot of traveling per month. What do you do along the way when you stop?

Re: Cruising World - Use Backpack or Suitcase

When I travelled extensively 30 years ago, instead of living out of my suitcase, I used a backpack.
I was wondering, for those of you who travel internationally and use public transportation (bus, train, hitch), which do you find more practical to carry your stuff, a suitcase or backpack.

At 57, I am in excellent health (when I am not sick :D), and workout with heavy weights at the gym so I think my back could easily handle 30 to 40 lbs of stuff.

MJ said:
When I travelled extensively 30 years ago, instead of living out of my suitcase, I used a backpack.
I was wondering, for those of you who travel internationally and use public transportation (bus, train, hitch), which do you find more practical to carry your stuff, a suitcase or backpack.

At 57, I am in excellent health (when I am not sick :D), and workout with heavy weights at the gym so I think my back could easily handle 30 to 40 lbs of stuff.

I try not to lift anything heavier than a martini :)

JG

Dex,

I try to ride secondary and/or scenic roads whenever possibly. I tend to stop by 4:00 pm or so and get a motel... then walk to a local bar/saloon and talk with the locals on what there is to see in the area. I then decide what local things I will go to the next day. The locals are very helpfull at times to find the out of the way places... such as the Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado River just south of the Glen Canyon dam by Page, Az. I go to National Parks such as the Grand Canyon Park... I went to both the south and north rim on two different trips this year. I like to view the local scenery such as mountains, rivers, desert, etc. as I travel, but the ride itself is what is really great.

Gonzo

Gonzo said:

Gonzo

Hello Gonzo.  You are killin' me man :)   Those long rides used to be about my fav. thing to do.  Had to give it up.  Really miss it.

JG

MJ said:

We always use backpacks - usually the kind where the straps tuck in if needed. We also travel pretty light - gives us a lot more flexibility than having to lug a big suitcase down to the train or bus station.

JG,

Why did you have to give it up?

I'm 57 and I still think I can enjoy and be able to ride properly for a few for years.

Gonzo

Gonzo said:
JG,

Why did you have to give it up?

I'm 57 and I still think I can enjoy and be able to ride properly for a few for years.

Gonzo

Lost balance function in both inner ears. Even so, I continued to ride
(maybe 10,000 miles since I developed the problem). But, I decided
I was tempting fate and quit. My main biker pal is 68 and still going
strong.

JG

MJ/FlowGirl, this 56 yr old body has a back problem and cannot handle a large backpack. I use only a wheeled carryon on virtually all of my business trips to Europe (~15 per year) and it works just fine even on the cobblestones prevalent in Europe. Make sure it has fairly large wheels, e.g. 3 inches diameter.

A small backpack and a wheeled carryon would be what I'd recommend for extensive travel.

AltaRed said:
MJ/FlowGirl, this 56 yr old body has a back problem and cannot handle a large backpack.

Well, I definitely understand that - although we try to pack ultra-light most of the time. Fortunately for me, I also usually travel with my husband - a 5'10'', 190 lbs, infantry Marine. Needless to say, he's the one who carries the heavy pack when we travel. :)

FlowGirl said:
Well, I definitely understand that - although we try to pack ultra-light most of the time. Fortunately for me, I also usually travel with my husband - a 5'10'', 190 lbs, infantry Marine. Needless to say, he's the one who carries the heavy pack when we travel. :)

So that's why you recommended a backpack at my age. :D
Since I'm single, I guess i'll have to find a 5' 7" gorgeous woman who works out, to carry my heavy load.
Better yet, she'll loaded with lots of her own dough and we'll hire someone to carry all our luggage. ;)

slightly OT on: Cruising World - How much is enough?

Gonzo, John Galt,

Yeah, the long rides on the bike are the absolute best, they really teach you about only packing essential items. Add the fact that I usually camp on the long rides, makes it even more challenging (more gear). You guys got me itching to go fire up that big twin and head out, screw work tomorrow (and the next day, and the....) !!!!

-Pan-

from JG:

Lost balance function in both inner ears. Even so, I continued to ride
(maybe 10,000 miles since I developed the problem). But, I decided
I was tempting fate and quit. My main biker pal is 68 and still going
strong.

This may be a very ignorant questions, JG, but couldn't you get a side car?

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom