Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Having been married to someone who would not get a job, the "bum" description would make me pass on a profile, but I think financially responsible women (even those not FI themselves) would be intrigued by someone who was able to retire early.
I'd want to know the circumstances. Plenty of people in their 50s and 60s lose a job and then decide that whatever SS they can get is enough (maybe spending down savings till they can collect at 62). Those are shaky plans, which can be derailed by blowing through a health insurance deductible, needing to replace a car, etc. Someone who's ER wouldn't be a turnoff in and of itself, but I wouldn't assume it was a guarantee of long-term solvency.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

The next time I find myself supporting a man, I better have given birth to him! You're right about the circumstances though, DH lost his business thanks to Katrina and the housing recession, but he worked hard and I was delighted to pick up the slack. Ex was just happy to let me support him. Big difference. You are right that the circumstances are important, but that would not be hard to figure out- as many posters have noted- just by observing. I'd want details eventually, but no one expects that on a first date unless things have changed VERY much since I dated last

Old 09-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I usually go with "person of independent means, and international man of mystery".
I like that! I might add a bit more:

'Person of independent means, international man of mystery and a global Bon Vivant"
Old 09-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

'Person of independent means, international man of mystery and a global Bon Vivant"

"I'm Batman."
Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
The next time I find myself supporting a man, I better have given birth to him!
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I dated a woman who said this exact thing on our first date! Talk about honesty. We didn't meet on Tinder, but she told me how much she liked the app and how using it had enabled her to "experience the finer things in the city for free". Needless to say, when the check came, she didn't reach for it.

I think this is an unfortunate and widespread side effect of online dating services. It had led to many women treating dating sort of like channel surfing. I read an article about this recently that explained the psychology of it all very convincingly. It's just so easy for any reasonably presentable woman to find a date at a moment's notice, that when they actually do go on dates they are constantly evaluating and scrutinizing the guy in comparison to the next "virtual" one who's out there who might be a little better looking, a little taller, a little funnier, a little richer, etc. So they end up churning through a stream of guys who could be very good matches over the long term, in search of the "perfect" match. Very dispiriting for those of us non-George Clooney types.
Reminds me of the joke about "the New Husband Store vs. the New Wife Store".
Old 09-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think this is an unfortunate and widespread side effect of online dating services. It had led to many women treating dating sort of like channel surfing. I read an article about this recently that explained the psychology of it all very convincingly. It's just so easy for any reasonably presentable woman to find a date at a moment's notice, that when they actually do go on dates they are constantly evaluating and scrutinizing the guy in comparison to the next "virtual" one who's out there who might be a little better looking, a little taller, a little funnier, a little richer, etc. So they end up churning through a stream of guys who could be very good matches over the long term, in search of the "perfect" match. Very dispiriting for those of us non-George Clooney types.
I must agree to a point. I have met a number of women in what I call my 'Second Bachelorhood'. About 1/3rd the time I feel like I am being poked, prodded and picked at until some fault is exposed. Since I am only human it is only a matter of time until I , have been proven to be imperfect. Then, I am tossed on the rejection pile with a host of other men.

OTOH, who wants a partner like that? Not me. And they are a minority, albeit a rather large minority. And, of course, not all we men are fine examples of masculinity at its best. Many of us are stuck in our ways, need to bathe more regularly, and could do a better job of staying sober.

Still the online world with its promise of that great guy or gal is just a few more clicks away does tempt us to push aside Mr. or Ms. 85% perfect in search of the ultimate mate. Of course, given that the online sites make more money if we hang on for many months searching for the perfect match, rather than 'settling' for a pretty good guy or gal.... Well, their incentive is not to match us very quickly, isn't it?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I must agree to a point. I have met a number of women in what I call my 'Second Bachelorhood'. About 1/3rd the time I feel like I am being poked, prodded and picket at until some fault is exposed. Since I am only human it is only a matter of time until I have been proven to be imperfect. Then, I am tossed on the rejection pile with a host of other men.

OTOH, who wants a partner like that? Not me. And they are a minority, albeit a rather large minority. And, of course, not all we men are examples of masculinity at its best. Many of us are stuck in our ways, need to bathe more regularly, and could do a better job of staying sober.

Still the online world with its promise that the great guy or gal is just a few more clicks away does tempt us to push aside Mr. or Ms. 85% perfect in search of the ultimate mate. Of course, given that the online sites make more money if we hang on for many months searching for the perfect match, rather than 'settling' for a pretty good guy or gal.... Well, their incentive is not to match us very quickly, isn't it?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #109

Quote:
About 1/3rd the time I feel like I am being poked, prodded and picket at until some fault is exposed.
Aah, checklist women. Run down the checklist as fast as I can, add a bit of sugar on top, and then walk out cold. Confuses them greatly.

Yes, I can be evil.

The best date I had was not really a date at all. Just a wonderful lady I spent a great two days with exploring. She spoiled it for the rest I guess.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Also, what is wrong with 10 or 15 years younger?

Ha
Nothing except they don't respond to my invitations.

(I am about a decade or so younger than the OP, which makes a difference. In 10 years it'll be less creepy.)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Nothing except they don't respond to my invitations.

(I am about a decade or so younger than the OP, which makes a difference. In 10 years it'll be less creepy.)
I married the late DW when she was 19 and I was 30. It didn't seem creepy to us. We were married for 30 years.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have no sons. I have no brothers. My male cousins all died before having kids so my Dad thinks I ought to find a twenty something and start over to keep the lineage going.
I think he may only be half kidding.
An old college pal who's five years older than me is on wife 4 and has a 2 year old, so the options there.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I married the late DW when she was 19 and I was 30. It didn't seem creepy to us. We were married for 30 years.
Yeah, it doesn't have to be creepy, but 10 years of difference is the minority view and most people I have met aren't willing to consider it as an option.

I am glad it worked out for you, though :-)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #114

Quote:
but 10 years of difference is the minority view and most people I have met aren't willing to consider it as an option.
DW is 10 years, 3 weeks, and 1 day younger than me....we made contact about a month before my 61st birthday and have been together since then....the age difference has never been a factor.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #115
Administrator

Quote:

"Stay thirsty, my friends."
Old 09-12-2017, 06:28 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

I joke with Mr. A. that we would not have even seen each other's profiles on online dating, had it existed when we were dating. We would not have been in one another's "reasonable range."

Interestingly, the crasser sorts of people still think it's OK to criticize age-difference marriages in the same way they used to openly criticize race-difference marriages.

Quote:
Yeah, it doesn't have to be creepy, but 10 years of difference is the minority view and most people I have met aren't willing to consider it as an option.

I am glad it worked out for you, though :-)
Old 09-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #117

So it wasn't me that mentioned age, but I think gentleman said that woman over 10 years younger then him didn't respond to his online invitations at all, leading him to think they had him labeled as a "creepy old guy"...I didn't get any bashing of age differences from that comment. Comparing that to racism is a tad harsh IMO...
Old 09-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I joke with Mr. A. that we would not have even seen each other's profiles on online dating, had it existed when we were dating. We would not have been in one another's "reasonable range."
I've thought about that- DH was 15 years older, hadn't finished college (ran out of money and couldn't working at night and going to classes during the day) and he smoked, but quit shortly after we met. It was a very happy marriage!

I do get annoyed at listings from a guy who says he's, say, 55, and is looking for a woman ages 35-45. So- women in your own age group are too old and decrepit for you?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

My comment was general, is based on 30+ years of life experience, and applies to the population at large. It is hardly a secret that there are all kinds of bigotry out there. If someone thinks it's OK to criticize age-difference marital partners but not OK to criticize racially-mixed marriages by saying "racism is worse," then I suspect they are just trying to justify their own brand of bigotry.

Now, If 2d Cor (a friend) thinks I was referring to him, I do apologize. I know he has too big a heart to criticize other people's marital choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
So it wasn't me that mentioned age, but I think gentleman said that woman over 10 years younger then him didn't respond to his online invitations at all, leading him to think they had him labeled as a "creepy old guy"...I didn't get any bashing of age differences from that comment. Comparing that to racism is a tad harsh IMO...
Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Mr. A. had been dating women in his age group. He never said anything bad about them, but there hadn't been any "spark" as we like to say nowadays.

He was drawn to intelligent women, that's all he really said. I happened to show up in his path one day. Do you suppose older men who deliberately seek younger women, are actively looking for the brainy ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've thought about that- DH was 15 years older, hadn't finished college (ran out of money and couldn't working at night and going to classes during the day) and he smoked, but quit shortly after we met. It was a very happy marriage!

I do get annoyed at listings from a guy who says he's, say, 55, and is looking for a woman ages 35-45. So- women in your own age group are too old and decrepit for you?