Depressing Commercial

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
This one makes me glad I'm not a business traveler any more:

One of the great joys of retirement, is that I no longer have to travel for work. Besides the hassles referred to in the commercial, I always seemed to have 25 hours of work to cram into a 24 hour day when traveling.

Been there, done that. I could identify with most of the scenes in that commercial.

I'm flying to Ohio on Delta in May and am looking forward to one of those nice, big comfy seats! ;-)

I too kind of miss traveling "on the company." I always made use of any extra time to sight-see or otherwise amuse myself in a "strange" place. I had very little foreign travel, but the USA is big enough that many places feel "like a whole other country." I'm probably odd that one thing I always liked about travel was getting lonely. Coming home was always extra special if I had enough time to get lonely. Yeah, sort of sounds like beating your head against a wall so it feels good when you stop, but then, YMMV.

I did decades where I traveled 10-20% and that was fine, even enjoyable. But then I had 6 years of 60-70% and burned out. I especially loved the leave on Saturday and return on Sunday travel plans, to get in a full week of work.

I don't find that commercial depressing at all. Makes me look forward to my next trip.

Donald Sotherland in another commercial. He gets around.

+1@W2R. It's been years and I'm still all traveled out. Airports and air travel still remind me of work and all the things I'd rather forget.

I hated traveling for work. I love traveling for myself.

I don't need to watch any depressing commercial about work. :)

I hate travel, period. 3 years prior to stop working I was in the highest frequent flyer club on 5 different airlines. June 2005 I counted up my air miles so far that year and I was all ready over 100K. Sydney is a great place to be based out of, but with a traveling job that required a lot of time in NYC and London, not so much.

I actually liked business travel. I only traveled a couple of times a year and usually to good places. I miss not being to go place for free now that I've ER'd.

To a certain extent, I do, too. I'm still in contact with former colleagues on FB and I have to admit I get a little jealous when they're off to Zurich, London or Bangalore, all of which I loved. It helped that we flew Business on long-hauls. The crappy domestic flights were tougher; they nearly always involved connections, which provided opportunities for things to go wrong, and the trips were shorter, so you didn't see much except the inside of the hotel, the office and restaurants.

DH and I drive nearly everywhere now; we just drove to TX for a family wedding (11 hours one way), staying overnight on the way down and doing it all in one stretch coming home. Some bad weather in OK just before we stopped for the night, and got messed up around the Dallas-Fort Worth area (GPS led us astray) coming home but SO much better than dealing with the airlines.

That commercial got it wrong. The fun part of traveling is being at the destination, especially if it's an exotic one. The unbearable part is being on the plane.

But it's an airline commercial, and they don't show the cattle car section where Megacorp always make me sit, even on a 14-hour flight last year.

(Did anyone else turn on the closed captioning? It sounded like a business meeting.)

Yeah...I don't miss traveling for "business" much at all. I have seen some very cool places and it always depressed me that I wasn't able to share the experiences with my DW.

The company I'm at right now, and have been for four years, is the first one for which I've not had to take an out-of-town business trip, and I don't miss it one bit.

I'll travel for myself, but hopefully never again for work.

I have to admit I do miss some of the travel to neat cities around the world. I was fortunate in that I got to fly in the pointy end of the "tube of pain". Even so, it had gotten to the point that it was just another city without my DF. Not looking to go back to that life any time soon.

I did decades where I traveled 10-20% and that was fine, even enjoyable. But then I had 6 years of 60-70% and burned out. I especially loved the leave on Saturday and return on Sunday travel plans, to get in a full week of work.

Yeah. Or, if it's a weekday, then the minute you get home (after working your tail off at the destination city, followed by hours of exhausting flights and connecting flights), you are expected to go directly to work, suitcase and all, for the rest of the afternoon. :mad:

And "neat cities"? Yeah, I spent a week in Miami Beach and being an oceanographer from Hawaii, was so looking forward to seeing the ocean. It was so hectic that I didn't get even one minute on the beach. I guess that's why they call it work travel. :(

I am SO glad to have left work travel behind me.

Last edited:
I miss business travel to some degree. I saw so many interesting places, especially in all my Asian travels. People were fascinating and so hospitable; food was awesome. If I had a day off or a weekend, one of my hosts or local coworkers would always take me sightseeing, or better yet, just take me around to a bunch of local places. I always asked to eat at "their favorite neighborhood place," which always led to some very memorable experiences.

Yes, the work part was usually stressful and sometimes cast a dark cloud over the whole experience, especially if I was visiting a not-so-happy customer. I don't miss writing trip reports over the Aleutians, or the constant jet lag, or the immigration line at O'Hare. But I do miss the people, places, food, 5-star hotels, business class... all on Megacorp's nickel. I feel quite fortunate to have seen so many places.

I miss business travel to some degree. <snip> I don't miss writing trip reports over the Aleutians, or the constant jet lag, or the immigration line at O'Hare. But I do miss the people, places, food, 5-star hotels, business class... all on Megacorp's nickel. I feel quite fortunate to have seen so many places.

I agree. I don't miss TSA lines, tarmac delays, cookie-cutter chain hotels in uninteresting places, 6:30 AM flights, etc. but I never would have guessed that my BA in Math from an average state university would have gotten me to so many places. To everything there's a season, I guess.:)

I really got no enjoyment out of business travel. After a while, it is all just one airport, one taxi interior, one hotel, one courthouse and one law firm conference room -- all the same wherever you go. And since I was always rushing to get there and back, I never saw anything else.

Travel by commercial air sucked big time before 9-11. Not all that great before either. I am not you avg. size flier and when I read how all the airlines are getting an extra row of seat placed into the same size planes, I just say to himself how glad those days are behind me. Last covered a deisent size area out of Dallas. I drove everything from 350 miles or less and flew the rest once or twice a year. Always nice to have my personal vehicle on strange streets and freeways, bad weather conditions and etc. Never fully got all cost reimbursed for using my own vehicle from the company or the IRS but made it up in other ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom