Amazon Prime Streaming with Commercials

That's because you are smart and look for it. One has to directly look to the right and down, below the "add cart" stuff. Then when you get to the cart, the info is gone. Perhaps that's my peeve.

They don't make it obvious for idiots like me. :D
Ahh OK thanks. I was hoping I wasn't missing something that was changing.

Let's just acknowledge that it's likely the biggest driver for ads now coming to Amazon Prime Video is that they keep spending big bucks making terrible programming that most people don't watch.

I'm looking at "Citadel" a costly production (reportedly $20 million per episode) that (deservedly) got abysmal ratings. Yet they green-lighted a second season and they will be paying the director $25 million to do the shows.

Then consider the "Wheel of Time" and the "Lord of the Rings" reboot. LOTR's cost per episode--$58 million. Viewer data showed few people that started these programs finished them, or even stayed with them for more than a few episodes.

I don't watch a lot of movies & the criticism of Amazon productions may well be justified, but I loved "Air," an Amazon Studios sports drama starring Matt Damon, Viola Davis, & Ben Affleck as Nike CEO Phil Knight. It's about how Nike (then an uncool underdog with zero cred in basketball) snagged Michael Jordan with a transformative shoe deal that changed the industry, made billions for Nike (& still earns Jordan multi-millions a year). Even though you know the result, it's a fascinating story & super-engaging from the first minute, wildly entertaining, often hilarious, with great performances from top to bottom (& was just nominated for several Golden Globes). It's free on Amazon Prime & I highly recommend it.

It is just a matter of saturation. The race to provide content on fast production schedules (and covid distractions) diluted many of the productions for all streamers. There are only so many good writers out there, and apparently they were all pissed off anyway, perhaps mailing it in. I use the strike as evidence.

That doesn't mean there are not diamonds in the rough. There are.

I used to think that way, that I'll take the commercials to save $10 or whatever the difference was from our streaming.

Then I calculated it out. We watch a lot of streaming, about 3 hours minimum per night.

3 hrs x (5 minutes per hour of commercials in show) x (30 days in month) = 450 minutes of commercials.

450 minutes is 7.5 hours of time spent watching the commercials.

My life is worth the extra Cost to avoid the commercials as it's only $1 or $2 in my example to save 1 hour of watching commercials. That's cheap considering I pay my lawn service $30 to save myself 1 hour of mowing.
We see at least a movie a week on Prime and since videos we watch are free on Prime we will try out the commercial time to see if it is too disruptive. If it is we will use the ad free charge since it only amounts to about $.77 per movie. The other option is to not to pay the charge and not watch any videos but continue with our purchasing.
Prime has been a great option for buying things we would otherwise have to spend our time and gas to search for them in stores. We have saved a lot of time and money with Prime in the past year. Recently I bought a Christmas present for my wife (electronic picture frame) that had to be returned. Before buying I saw it could be returned but didn't realize it had to be returned to the sender (not Prime). After filling out the return form I received a bar code but not from Prime and had to wait for instructions from the sender. So I contacted Prime and spoke to a representative who said to wait to hear from the sender with a shipping lavel but she would make sure Prime would give me the refund if the sender didn't contact me in the next 2 days. The next day the refund was made to my CC and I have yet to hear from the sender.
That is great service in my world.

I’ve been watching a movie The Vanishing Woman on Prime Video and so far no commercials. Knock on wood!

I don't watch a lot of movies & the criticism of Amazon productions may well be justified, but I loved "Air," an Amazon Studios sports drama starring Matt Damon, Viola Davis, & Ben Affleck as Nike CEO Phil Knight. It's about how Nike (then an uncool underdog with zero cred in basketball) snagged Michael Jordan with a transformative shoe deal that changed the industry, made billions for Nike (& still earns Jordan multi-millions a year). Even though you know the result, it's a fascinating story & super-engaging from the first minute, wildly entertaining, often hilarious, with great performances from top to bottom (& was just nominated for several Golden Globes). It's free on Amazon Prime & I highly recommend it.

It's on my watch list and I'll get around to it at some point.

But "Air" is not like "Citadel", "Lord of the Rings" and "Wheel of Time". "Air" is a one-off movie. These other productions are bloated, overly produced, and time extended behemoths that could have benefited from editing down the running time. Plus, if the reviews are to be believed, poorly written and not really needed. In short, they were a waste of money.

It's on my watch list and I'll get around to it at some point.

But "Air" is not like "Citadel", "Lord of the Rings" and "Wheel of Time". "Air" is a one-off movie. These other productions are bloated, overly produced, and time extended behemoths that could have benefited from editing down the running time. Plus, if the reviews are to be believed, poorly written and not really needed. In short, they were a waste of money.

I watched "Air" Sunday night (recommended.) There was a disclaimer that it would be shown with minimal ads and that was true--other than the 30 second ad before the movie actually started, nothing after that for the whole movie.

I don't know if it matters to the zero amount of ads in this instance, but "Air" is an Amazon production.

I have only watched one show on Prime since the switch to commercials. I did find the commercials distracting. I’ve had Prime for several years, but I’m not sure that I will renew at the end of the year.

I have only watched one show on Prime since the switch to commercials. I did find the commercials distracting. I’ve had Prime for several years, but I’m not sure that I will renew at the end of the year.

I don't know. We have been watching movies on Prime for months now and many are on FREEBEE and so we have gotten used to it. Don't really see any other changes.

We watch Prime daily. The addition of limited commercials is really a non-issue. There’s one commercial before the show starts and a couple of breaks during the show with a single commercial. I’m fine with that.

My Prime subscription expired about the same time and Amazon announced their new commercials policy. I did not renew my Prime subscription. Can’t say that I miss it.

Just finished bingeing Reacher and experiencing first hand the new commercials. I do NOT like them and will no longer watch Prime. Life is too short to waste on commercials.

Just finished bingeing Reacher and experiencing first hand the new commercials. I do NOT like them and will no longer watch Prime. Life is too short to waste on commercials.

Did everybody notice the ads WITHIN the episodes of Reacher itself? Intuit TurboTax billboards and signs were strategically placed in almost every episode. Then there was the Clark bar references. LOL.

Did everybody notice the ads WITHIN the episodes of Reacher itself? Intuit TurboTax billboards and signs were strategically placed in almost every episode. Then there was the Clark bar references. LOL.
That sounds pretty distracting. I keep hearing season 2 is not as good. So, even worse with commercials both interrupting the show and within the show! :LOL:

I dont find the commercials to be as annoying as network TV because they have a timer on it.

So far, I have only seen commercials pop up twice. They were both at the beginning. After that, the show ran through without any interruption.

One interesting aspect... I do not think I have seen any commercials in shows I have started from the top menu of the FireTV stick, as opposed to signing into Prime. Also, I have not seen any commercials in shows or movies I have resumed from a partial watch. I am going to track this more closely. My Prime watching sessions tend to be short, no more than an hour at a time, and not every day.

Maybe the number and frequency of ads depends on the show, or the user. We’ve watched 4 episodes of Northern Exposure and each one has had at least 4 ad interruptions. They aren’t long, but they are frequent.

Maybe the number and frequency of ads depends on the show, or the user.

I think this must be true. I watched about 30-40 minutes of an "old" movie (from 1987) on Prime the other night, and there wasn't a single ad shown. :confused:

In the beginning there was TV entertainment with ads. And it was good.

Then there was ad-free TV by cable for a monthly fee. And it was good for those who made the choice.

Then there were ads on cable. We still paid but had no choice.

Then there was streaming. No ads but still a fee. But we had a choice.

Now we have to pay and suffer ads.

Let's start a movement to boycott companies that advertise on streaming services and see what happens.

Maybe the number and frequency of ads depends on the show, or the user. We’ve watched 4 episodes of Northern Exposure and each one has had at least 4 ad interruptions. They aren’t long, but they are frequent.

Where are you finding Northern Exposure? I'd love to rewatch that series but have heard it has licensing problems because it used a lot of alternative music in the soundtrack and could only be released on CD.

That is pretty common place for almost any movie made in the last 30+ years.

Where are you finding Northern Exposure? I'd love to rewatch that series but have heard it has licensing problems because it used a lot of alternative music in the soundtrack and could only be released on CD.

It's on Amazon Prime.

It's on Amazon Prime.

Right. My brother is visiting, he wanted to watch it and told me it was on Prime.

The ad frequency has changed. Now each episode starts with 2 long commercials, then there are 4 15 second interruptions, then another long one.

I think Amazon is experimenting, looking to find the right combination. Over the past week the ads are 90% sports gambling and TurboTax. There’s no sign yet they are customizing the ad based on my Amazon purchasing history or general browsing history. I dislike gambling and get my TurboTax from Fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom