Destinations for snowbirding-

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm looking for potential locations for spending 1 or 2 winter months, preferably not somewhere super crowded like a lot of Florida locations have become. Does anybody have any interesting ideas in Georgia, or South Carolina. One place that intrigues me, although I've never been, is Athens, GA..I have relatives there who rave about it in winter. I don't need hot and sunny...mostly I don't need lots of traffic.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks for playing.

Beaufort, SC would be my vote. Just down the coast from us in Charleston, and a really pretty little town. Grows on me more every time I ride down for a visit. So much less traffic than here, for sure.

Athens is mostly known to me as a college and music town. Nice place, but kinda middle of nowhere.

I'm partial to Scottsdale, Az. Sunny, but certainly not hot during the winter. Last winter was 70-75 and sunny almost every day. Some traffic on the freeways during rush hour.

Beaufort is definitely on my list. When my kids were small we camped many a Spring Break on Edisto. But I never got through Beaufort. Will definitely check that out. Thanks.

I guess that I don't consider the Florida locations we have wintered at super crowded but they can be busy at times but we sort of like that as our main home is in a rural resort area that can be quiet off-season.

That said, we visited some friends at Jekyll Island, GA on our way to Florida last year and it seemed like a real nice place and pretty quiet. We also have a friend who winters in Myrtle Beach and I suspect that is pretty quiet off season... it was when we were there in April 2013.

I am familiar with Jekyll, as I have some family nearby. I would be interested in hearing about Florida locations that aren't crazy crowded. When my folks retired in 1990, they started wintering in North Naples, and eventually moved to Bonita Springs. In 1990 it was pretty nice, but by the time my father left in 2012 it was way too crowded for my taste.

Jekyll Island/Sea Island would be nice if you could find reasonable accommodations. It's a pretty pricey place and just a short distance north of Jax, FL.

Beaufort, SC is another lovely town that would be good. It's got a lot of military so you could probably find a place to stay.

The quiet part of Florida without the putt putt golf or go cart tracks is around Ft. Pierce, FL and south to Jensen Beach. And the weather is warm in winter that far south.

We spent a slow paced, uncrowded winter week on Amelia Island FL a couple years back, and hope to go back for a longer stay.

Last edited:
Tree-dweller, thank you. Exactly the kind of spot I'm interested in. I'd heard of it, but had forgotten about it. It could be perfect. Any golf courses around?

That said, we visited some friends at Jekyll Island, GA on our way to Florida last year and it seemed like a real nice place and pretty quiet. We also have a friend who winters in Myrtle Beach and I suspect that is pretty quiet off season... it was when we were there in April 2013.

We vacationed every year for 6 years straight on Jekyll. Loved it then but not have been there for awhile.

There will be fewer Canadian snowbirds causing crowding in Florida this year, due to the woeful exchange rate.

I'm partial to Scottsdale, Az. Sunny, but certainly not hot during the winter. Last winter was 70-75 and sunny almost every day. Some traffic on the freeways during rush hour.

Agree but Scottsdale is a very upscale place. Great restaurants/shopping. Also very spread out so a fair bit of driving required. Not a problem for me as I like driving my convertible around and the top is almost always down.

There will be fewer Canadian snowbirds causing crowding in Florida this year, due to the woeful exchange rate.

It's looking like about 10% of the license plates I see here are still from Ontario, so I'm not sure that's working out.

I have been in Tucson and Phoenix this week on family business. The more I see of them the more I like. This week, however, their weather was similar to home (wet, cold Bellingham, WA).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Tree-dweller, thank you. Exactly the kind of spot I'm interested in. I'd heard of it, but had forgotten about it. It could be perfect. Any golf courses around?

I think so. I'm not a golfer, but my BIL vacationed there and golfed, IIRC.

It's looking like about 10% of the license plates I see here are still from Ontario, so I'm not sure that's working out.

Here is a recent article which mentions that overnight visits to the US by Canadians were down by 9% in 2015. No data are available for the current season of snowbirds yet, but the leading indicators suggest that numbers and duration of stay will be down.

From Arizona to Florida, U.S. destinations feeling chill from low loonie, weakened Canadian economy | Financial Post

I have friends who bought a condo in Florida during the real estate crisis there and scored an incredible bargain in an estate sale. They are there now. Their incremental costs are minimal.

Last edited:
Just came back from a week in Palm Springs, always run in to snow birds (especially Canadians) while I'm there. Great golfing choices in the area but probably not the cheapest place to spend the winter. I prefer Scottsdale myself, Palm Springs is a little more slower paced with an older crowd.

Where are you now?

If you have never experienced a Minnesota Winter, I would advise coming here to MN. It's a great place to experience the crisp air and wonder how the exact same location can be 125+ degrees difference only six month's later...

Back
Top Bottom