Did you retire or Did you quit

GTM

Recycles dryer sheets
There is a difference between the 2.

Which one did you do?

I will quit around the middle of May. I do not have all the squares filled to call it a retirement. However, I have income from 4 other sources, and my present employer's funds are vested and I will start receiving them in about 5 years. DW on the other hand is quiting. Private school teacher with 401K.

Neither.  I'm self-employed, semi-retired, and making my own hours, which isn't too bad.  But, hope to fully retire one day in the next handful of years.

I've quit a couple of jobs in the past, but always with the knowledge that I'd have to return to work someday.

Unless plans go drastically wrong (you never know), I don't ever plan on working more than my part-time work now.

GTM said:
There is a difference between the 2.
I was told that my services were no longer required and I was handed a direct-deposit application.

I call that retirement.

I quit.  I would have loved to have been fired / layed off.  That would have meant severance.   I was fairly surly the last year or so hoping I would piss off someone who could get me fired.  Unfortunately everyone knew the score and tolerated me.  There were times in my life that being fired would have devastated me, but not the last couple of years I put in. 

I retired in 2002 but moved and went to work for another company. 

Today I am working.

July 31, 2007 I will quit for good.

they told me i was too young (48) to retire. so i told them in that case i quit.

the only benefit of staying until their version of "early retirement" at 55 would have been $200/mth towards med ins. until i reached medicare age. in the words of the immortal wimpy: "i'll gladly pay $400/mth thru tuesday for early retirement today" or something like that.

Well I'm "retirement eligible" with necessary minimum of years + age. So I can quit whenever I want.

I quit, 2/2005, after giving 10 months notice, am eligible for a deferred vested pension in 2016.  I sure hope its still there.

Dave

I am trying to retire rather than quit. If it is a retirement maybe I can be listed as "of counsel" on our letterhead :) and have them keep my license current.

I am hoping to quit since I prefer not to feel dejected. However, a serverance or buyout package can alleviate it.

Neither.

After being severely injured at work for the second time I was told that my surgeons (orthopedic/neurosurgeon) would not allow me to continue with the job I loved. I went thru 14 months of rehab, was scheduled for work on a Friday morning, and then rec'd a call the day before to inform me not to show up for work on Friday. Instead I was to report to the administration offices on Mon. at 10am. (The handwriting was on the wall). I went kicking and screaming.

I suppose technically it was a retirement since I receive a pension. But I didn't like it one bit!

I would not be happy either if I could not leave work on my own terms. But sometimes life is like a box of chocolates, so I guess you just have to be happy you at least got a chocolate.

I quit. Got no pension, no health insurance, never even had a 401k match there (fortunately some of the stock options panned out, however).

For now I mooch off my hubby's semi-retirement paycheck and health insurance, but I'm sure I have some socially redeeming qualities  8)

He'll get an unCOLA pension of $237/month at age 65 if he chooses no survivor benefit. That'll probably make a small dent in our Medicare wraparound insurance! If he teaches long enough, he may get another teeny-tiny pension. If it weren't for the health insurance and his 4 months of vacation per year, I'd be badgering him to retire. As it is, I bring it up about once a month--"You sure you don't wanna retire yet?!"

retire@40 said:
I would not be happy either if I could not leave work on my own terms. But sometimes life is like a box of chocolates, so I guess you just have to be happy you at least got a chocolate.

I had planned to leave July 2005 but the company went and spoiled it ;) for me by laying me off and giving me a surprise severance package including unemployment benes that worked out much better than if I had left on my own.

I was able to live with the shame. :LOL: :LOL:

I quit. Gave 2 weeks notice and they asked me to stay for a month...which I did.

I will be able to start receiving my first pension in November 2007. The second pension will be ready in 2009. I only hope they're still there...

Was given a severence and unemployment bennies so I am calling it retirement (long ways away from a pension though).

Back
Top Bottom