Digital Photo Frame & NAS

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
After returning from a trip the other day, I realize that I rarely look at the photos I've taken. I do a bit of curator work, but then rarely look at the photos.

An optimal digital photo frame for me would accept a network location and show random pictures from that location. So point it at my NAS that has backups of all my pictures, and have it go to town. That, as opposed to loading pictures onto the frame or sign-up for yet another cloud-based thing, and have to upload my pictures (gag!)

So, does anyone have experience with a frame that gets on your LAN, that you don't need to load pictures to the frame, and that doesn't require setting-up an online account? Or am I just in the weeds on this? I could probably rig-up a Raspberry Pi to do it. That might be a fun project, but I've got other stuff going on at the moment, and might like to employ a "works right out of the box" option.

You have the best ideas.

I'd be concerned about getting lost in the pi and NAS integration. That's just me.

A tablet will work better than a digital photo frame, I think.

I am pretty sure you could easily:
- find a Roku/Apple app to do it (plug in a 64GB flash drive and forego a NAS. This could put the slide show on big screen.
or
- use an old notebook and screen saver app.

This morning I loaded linux mint 17 XFCE onto older multimedia hp dv-1000 notebook. 15" screen is perfect. Blew away windows and its glut, and have 290 GB free. Hmmm....

Now you triggered my curiosity....

I'd also look at keeping it simple.

You could do a batch conversion of your photo library, and downsize them to the native pixel size of the screen you will display them on (Photo frame, tablet, or laptop). They will probably take up a small fraction of the space of the 'masters'. So dropping them onto an SD card or thumb drive should give you lots and lots of pics. Plus, they load faster when they are smaller.

-ERD50

Doing a batch resize then loading them to the frame...that might be a good option. That level of tinkering I'd be willing to do.

I do have a mostly unused tablet (only use it to test my Android apps). And there are many old low-muscle tablets on eBay. So that brings-up another idea...an Android slideshow app that pulls from the network may be "out there" (or I could develop one). Hmmm. If I got that route, I'll need to see if the screen on a tablet would be as good as the digital frames (viewing angle, etc).

Digital photo frame.

I have one that I enjoy watching while we eat dinner. I have each set of trip pictures on a 2MB SD card, and just plug in the one I want to watch. The frame will display in order, but I can start the show at any picture

My daughter gave us one and I did what ERD suggested -- works fine. But my favorite "frame" is the 21 inch PC monitor that sits on my kitchen desk. I have teh screen saver set to randomly display all the keepers in my library. Guests are frequently in the kitchen and comment of random photos that slide into view. Very nice.

Doing a batch resize then loading them to the frame...that might be a good option. That level of tinkering I'd be willing to do.

I do have a mostly unused tablet (only use it to test my Android apps). And there are many old low-muscle tablets on eBay. So that brings-up another idea...an Android slideshow app that pulls from the network may be "out there" (or I could develop one). Hmmm. If I got that route, I'll need to see if the screen on a tablet would be as good as the digital frames (viewing angle, etc).
Depends on what the tablet cost. Top of the line nexus is way better than any consumer digital frame I've seen.

Android Apps Abound for this.

Here's a Dropbox app for Roku:
Dropbox Arrives On Roku With An App For Viewing Your Personal Photos And Movies | TechCrunch

So many choices for this.

Back
Top Bottom