Dipping our Toe into the RV Waters!

Personally I don't trust any tire over 6 years old on any vehicle for anything beyond a couple of miles to the grocery store & back. Definitely not at highway speeds, especially if you decide to load the wife, kids, dog, grandma and a trunk full of luggage. Time, sun, ozone, and underinflation - not necessarily in that order - kills tires.

RV tires are even more susceptible to failure due to the loads they carry.

You know, in some areas of the world they have this thing in the atmosphere called "moisture". Sometimes it can extend the life of tires and other things that tend toward dry rot.

You know, in some areas of the world they have this thing in the atmosphere called "moisture". Sometimes it can extend the life of tires and other things that tend toward dry rot.
:)

Actually, "dry rot" isn't caused by a lack of moisture and living in a damp climate doesn't prevent tires from becoming brittle and cracking. See here for an explanation of the causes: What Is Dry Rot in Tires?

There are covers available to protect tires from the sun. Sunlight is what rots them.

Sunlight is what rots them.
Sunlight (UV rays) is one of the things that causes tires to become brittle and crack, but not the only thing. Tires stored in complete darkness will deteriorate due to the ozone in the air, lack of use and age. See links above.

I have heard about older Motor homes not being welcome in private parks.......found this link: RV FAQ's & Tips: Buying an RV

And quote from the page......
Older RV's may not be permitted in some parks

Before buying an older recreational vehicle, be aware that some private parks have an age cutoff for the RV's they allow. When you call to make a reservation, park staff often ask what year model is your RV. For many private parks, the cutoff is 10 to 15 years old.
The reason for the age limit is to maintain park aesthetics. Because of this, park managers may be willing to make exceptions for older RV's kept in good condition. The inverse is also true—a newer RV that looks shabby may be unwelcome.
Enforcement of the age limit varies by park and season. Better maintained parks are more selective about the rigs they allow. On the other hand, parks tend to be more lenient during the slow season.

Is this still the situation at private RV Parks?

It isn't something you run across at most commercial parks - I'd guesstimate fewer than 10% have such a rule. But some RV 'resorts' do try to keep the riff-raff out :cool: by establishing a ten year age limit.

I've seen much older well cared for rigs in some of these parks. It appears the rule is often selectively enforced and based on the appearance of your RV rather than its age.

BTW, many parks who have such a rule tend to be expensive and have a long list of "Do not..." regulations. A bit like living in a neighborhood with an overzealous HOA...

We're currently at our 86th campground. Most of those have been private. So far we've only been asked once about the age of our RV when making reservations. Nearly all of the parks we've been in have had at least a couple of older RVs, so I don't think folks are getting turned away at the gate either.

We're not into expensive anything (Motel 6 knows us well) so doubt we'll ever stay at an RV "resort". And if an RV park doesn't want my money then we'll just mosey on down the road.

I want to find the quiet, secluded spots and if that requires boondocking that's ok with me !

Yep, most folks wear out tires on their cars and suv's long before they 'age' out. RV's aren't usually driven enough to even come close to wearing out the tread before the ravages of time make them unsafe.

Yup, that's why it's not uncommon to see the RV folks use those tire covers (ever noticed that you don't really ever see the tire covers on automobiles?)

Yup, that's why it's not uncommon to see the RV folks use those tire covers (ever noticed that you don't really ever see the tire covers on automobiles?)
I don't really think those covers do much good - too many other things working on your tires. But hey, installing and removing tire covers gives RV owners something to do while the charcoal burns down... :)

Here are a couple of active forums on RV use and the full time lifestyle. Might be some useful info.
Another very good RV forum (run by the same folks who run this one) is iRV2. The mods there do a good job of keeping it 'user friendly', something you won't always find on RV.net.

REWAHOO,
You OK with the fires in your neck of the woods? From our local news it looks like the whole Hill Country is ablaze. Sure hope you and yours are out of the path and in good shape.

I agree on RV.net being a bit of a slush with a lot of blow hards and bullying. I rarely go there anymore. IRV2 is better for civil discussions but maybe not so much for technical things. I actually spend most of my RV forum viewing to the TiffinRVNetwork.com. It has a ton of model-specific information that has saved my bacon more than once while out on the road or stuck in a campground middle of nowwhere.

SteveR, thanks for asking. Yes, we are OK - at least so far.

Fires have been popping up all over the state and there were two within a few miles of us over the weekend. Thankfully they were controlled with no significant loss of property.

I've never seen it like this and am a bit nervous. Our house is located in what has become a cedar tinderbox. DW and I had a discussion last night and agreed we'd put together a 'bugout checklist' - a prioritized list of what to grab if we had to get out in a hurry.

The weatherman commented last night about all the trees in the area dying from lack of water. He noted the 8 inches of rainfall we've had in the past year is typically what Phoenix gets (we average close to 30) - not many trees around Phoenix.

If we don't get some rain we'll no longer be living east of the [SIZE=-1]Chihuahuan[/SIZE] desert...

Attachments

• Chihuahua_desert.jpg
    Chihuahua_desert.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 83
If we don't get some rain we'll no longer be living east of the [SIZE=-1]Chihuahuan[/SIZE] desert...

My dad in San Antonio said the exact same thing last week. Good luck REWahoo, Ziggy and everyone else in that area. You need rain, and lots of it.

We owned land in Bastrop a couple of years back (have since sold). I know the area so was watching the Bastrop fire videos over the weekend. It was shocking how the trees and grass around the houses weren't on fire but the houses seemed to be auto-combusting. I presume the wind was carrying embers which set the roofs on fire?

We owned land in Bastrop a couple of years back (have since sold). I know the area so was watching the Bastrop fire videos over the weekend. It was shocking how the trees and grass around the houses weren't on fire but the houses seemed to be auto-combusting. I presume the wind was carrying embers which set the roofs on fire?
Not sure and hope I never have to find out first-hand.

Here's a link to a slide show of 200+ photos of the fires around Bastrop, Austin and San Antonio. Note #41 - the house and garage are totally destroyed while a few feet away an RV appears to be undamaged.

Texas wildfires - San Antonio Express-News

For a close look at how fast the Bastrop fire was moving, check out the second video on this link and turn up your sound. For reference, those trees are 60-70 feet tall...

Fire videos | Newswatch | a mySA.com blog

The spread of that fire left me speechless. Please take care. I think your idea of having a quick getaway plan is a very good one.

Congrats!

I got my new RV last Friday and paid for a 4-hour driving lesson, which would have been a good idea except:

1) the day started with a flat tire on my car, which made me nearly 2 hours late getting to the RV lot

2) the driving lesson started around lunchtime on the Friday before one of BC's busiest long weekends

3) the driving instructor decided to take me through narrow city streets to get me used to driving something that size (34 foot Class A)

4) Then he took me on the freeway at the start of rush hour - again this is the Labour day long weekend

5) Then he brought me back through 2 towns - again at rush hour

The weekend ended with me getting locked into the RV lot storage area because the guy didn't know I was still cleaning up the RV. I had to call the police to get me out.

Actually, the weekend ended when I bought some booze and sat in my living room until my heart rate returned to normal.

Have fun with your new toy!!!

3) the driving instructor decided to take me through narrow city streets to get me used to driving something that size (34 foot Class A)
With, or without, the TOAD? ;)

I got my new RV last Friday and paid for a 4-hour driving lesson, which would have been a good idea except:

1) the day started with a flat tire on my car, which made me nearly 2 hours late getting to the RV lot

2) the driving lesson started around lunchtime on the Friday before one of BC's busiest long weekends

4) Then he took me on the freeway at the start of rush hour - again this is the Labour day long weekend

5) Then he brought me back through 2 towns - again at rush hour

The weekend ended with me getting locked into the RV lot storage area because the guy didn't know I was still cleaning up the RV. I had to call the police to get me out.

Actually, the weekend ended when I bought some booze and sat in my living room until my heart rate returned to normal.

Hey, didn't everyone tell you RVing would be an adventure! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom