Do I stay or do I go?

10 Day Weather Forecast for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - weather.com HCMC
10 Day Weather Forecast for Phoenix, AZ - weather.com Phoenix
10 Day Weather Forecast for New York, NY - weather.com New York
10 Day Weather Forecast for Tampa, FL - weather.com Tampa Bay

Weather here in HCMC compares favorably to just about anywhere as well as having no winter and very predictable patterns. Florida is without a doubt hotter and more humid than Vietnam and we don't have hurricanes. Come visit me for a while and see for yourself, it's not the developed world sure, but that's a GOOD point ;)

It's been years since I've been to HCM or Vietnam in general - too long although I am pushing for one of our regional conferences to be be in Hanoi later this year. I still have fond memories of the food and some paintings.

Wouldn't it be the same question at age 59 or at age 65? If you're not worried financially, seems like the question is do you want to retire at all or keep working. If you were seriously planning to jump at 59, then you may as well do it now if you have a good opportunity.

+ 1

One of the factors motivating me is the knowledge that some of the things I want to do will become more difficult as I get older and my body [-]starts to [/-]continues to decay.

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to retire effective at the end of the year. There will certainly be no love lost for the day to day monotony of some of the work, internal politics, performance reviews; aspiration/vision and values/mission statements etc; change management; cultural leadership, diversity workshops etc. I am actually grinning widely at the thought of retirement. I do have some hobbies and activities that will fill up parts of my days and have already made contact to do some volunteer work down the road. I live inside the city of Washington so there is also a lot going on culturally if I choose to avail myself of them. And I will probably want read books now that i have the time and don't have to spend most of my work day reading or working on the computer.

My wife is happy for me and supportive. She will continure to work at a job she loves three days a week for a few more years which I think is probably for the best - altho financially not necessary . My 17 year old son a little less supportive. I told him I will now have the same time as him to master the X-box - just kidding. But he is off to college next year

I may check in from time to time for advice, support and ideas. Jack

Weather here in HCMC compares favorably to just about anywhere as well as having no winter and very predictable patterns.
- Hot and dry.
- Hot and wet.

Yes, spent a year there during my government sponsored "vacation" in 1968-69, so I have a firsthand knowledge of the weather :cool: ...

No thanks :mad: ...

Back
Top Bottom