Do you really not care what other people think?

I don't care if someone else thinks my car is nice or my dress is fancy enough. But I do care if they think I'm a decent human being. And my degree of caring decreases in the outer numbers of degrees of separation.

Being a decent human being means being polite, helpful, gracious, and following some social norms. Do unto others, etc.

I don't care if someone wants to judge me for ditching a career to retire early. I do care if I behave in a way that makes someone think I might be an *******.

+1

I never was wealthy enough to manage trying to impress others via possessions. For 20 years what might have been discretionary cash to blow on appearances went to DW and five kids. I got used to the threadbare look. I may be FI now, but don't look it.

But I do care that people think I'm kind and honest (or at least kind of honest! :LOL: ). Truthfully, I have a few (or maybe a hundred) jerk tendencies, so it's probably a good thing that societal disapproval influences me to suppress them.

It's an even better thing that other people can't read minds.

Lots of good comments. These two mesh well with my thoughts:

There is quite a difference between being a misanthrope who simply does not care about other people or their opinions and being someone who can meet life's challenges with equanimity, including dealing with people who do not agree with us. I try to cultivate the latter trait.

And:

I don't care if someone else thinks my car is nice or my dress is fancy enough. But I do care if they think I'm a decent human being. And my degree of caring decreases in the outer numbers of degrees of separation.

Being a decent human being means being polite, helpful, gracious, and following some social norms. Do unto others, etc.

I don't care if someone wants to judge me for ditching a career to retire early. I do care if I behave in a way that makes someone think I might be an *******.

Good initial post to spark this thread.

It's certainly internet bravado in some cases, but certainly not all. I don't often seek the opinions of anyone beyond DW if then, but I will listen when close friends or family offer their POV. But I will usually do what I think is right or fair. But other than being polite/courteous to others and respecting their considered POV, I really don't much care what they think of my actions or choices. I remember worrying about being accepted by others when I was a teenager into early 20's, but I got over worrying about what strangers or acquaintances think decades ago.

Last edited:
I care more than I used to, because I have grown to better understand why others feel the way they do about things. Maybe that action, or spoken word of mine wasn't such a great idea after all, even though I have a "perfect right" to speak or behave that way.

OTOH I still hate peer pressure, and resist it any way I can, even if it costs me. I figured out very young that peers never pressure you to do anything you'd want to do on your own. It is all about them controlling you for their benefit. Often, the "benefit" to them is just feeling better about themselves by somehow knocking you down. Edit: I have spent time trying to figure out why anyone would want to knock down other people who aren't hurting them, and it seems like there is just a lot of insecurity around.

Thus, I spend some mental effort in sorting out what is "reasonable social expectation," and what is merely @$$es trying to control me.

Last edited:

But I do care that people think I'm kind and honest (or at least kind of honest! :LOL: ). Truthfully, I have a few (or maybe a hundred) jerk tendencies, so it's probably a good thing that societal disapproval influences me to suppress them.

It's an even better thing that other people can't read minds.

An idea for another thread: Do you have any jerk tendencies?
Could be highly entertaining. I know I maybe have one, well maybe a few, err....quite a few.:)

INTJ here. Don't care. I actually go out my way to embarrass my wife. "you're a millionaire, why are you dressing that way?" Keeps the low-life from hitting me up if I look like them. Ratty flannel shirts, old shoes, 15 year-old cars. Did I say I don't care? Been called the Clampetts but I just don't care what other people think. I can take care of my adult DS's and other family member and am happy. They don't sign my paycheck (not FIRE yet), or make me meals. What do I care what they think? My .02c:D

One reason that I do not care is that many people judge others by their own behaviour or standards. They cannot seem to think out of the box...even those that have done it in their work lives.

We downsized, travelled for seven months. Came home. Instead of buying we rented. Reason was simple. Market was hot, we could not see what we wanted, and I wanted to buy when everyone was selling, not buying. So we rented for four years. And now that we bought a downsized home I know that there are some people who are sorry for us because they think we spent all our money on travel and could only afford a smaller home.

Several friends made odd comments about us not buying. Things like did you spend all your money or it must not be great in a rental.

We had some similar comments when, after our children were born, we made the decision to attend a different faith group. We could not, in all good faith, tell our daughter that she could do or be anything that she wanted six days a week only to have her go to church and see a working example that contradicted this view/outlook. Got some odd comments. But we could have cared less.

Last edited:
I care what people think about me if they share what I think are my basic values (being compassionate mostly, and putting others first), or if they can strongly negatively alter my life. Everyone else is an afterthought.

So that recruiter who is only after his bonus and getting people to jump jobs, yeah I tend to treat him pretty badly and don't care a hoot about him. That police officer inspecting my car, yeah I care about what he thinks. Self-preservation is the term here.

So I mostly tend to cross some lines regarding traditions and etiquette, without kicking myself out of the country club so to speak. I'm very irreverent with regarding to status too, I don't respect titles, positions or fame for their own sake. I avoid people who do, or piss them off. That's fine. If I alienate people because of odd life choices (no job for a year, no house buying, religion or politics), that's fine too.

But I'm not a rogue by any standards. More of a weasel I guess.

Last edited:
An observation: Some here are saying they "do not really care what other people think" but I think that many here are bothered by what others say (and think).

So we "care" despite professing not to, but we won't necessarily change our actions to conform. We all conform to a certain extent but draw the boundaries differently. We have different ways of expressing our independence.

We probably all have some friends who occasionally bother us with critical comments. I have to remind myself that these are still OK friends. On the other hand, over the years I have stopped associating with a few who were very irritating.

Letting the genie out of the bottle

An idea for another thread: Do you have any jerk tendencies?
Could be highly entertaining. I know I maybe have one, well maybe a few, err....quite a few.:)

That potato is a bit too hot for me. I agree it could be entertaining at first, but
I'd hate to be responsible for the civil war that would break out on this currently well-mannered board once our secret shames are no longer secret!

Knowing that one of my own jerk tendencies is judgmentalism, I fear I'd be in the front row casting stones at all the admitted left-lane bandits, waitress-tip-stiffers, and of course, those cads who rush to judgment! (Insert hypocrite smiley here)

I'd rather think my forum fellows all are saints, whose most grievous failing is the occasional misspelling in a post. It keeps the love flowing.

OTOH, that he "goes out of his way" to embarrass her suggests he does care what she thinks, and is daring her to criticize his clothes. But I suspect (hope) he's kidding.

:LOL: He said he doesn't care what other people think -- including her, obviously.

Come to think of it, I may care about what others think more than I want to admit.

For example, I do not want to dress like a bum nor dress up so much that I stand out. I just want to blend into a crowd and do not act to attract attention. Obviously, I do care about what strangers think.

I care only when I have to care. I dress properly when I go to work. Off hours, I can be a slop.

Come to think of it, I may care about what others think more than I want to admit.

For example, I do not want to dress like a bum nor dress up so much that I stand out. I just want to blend into a crowd and do not act to attract attention. Obviously, I do care about what strangers think.

Blending in is what secret agents do well.

Blending in is what secret agents do well.
So, you're saying that NW-Bound is a secret agent? :)

I don't think that's the same thing. You are not valuing their opinion, only conforming to a dress standard.

OTOH, that he "goes out of his way" to embarrass her suggests he does care what she thinks, and is daring her to criticize his clothes. But I suspect (hope) he's kidding.
If someone acts this way at age 2 it is called boundary testing. Surely it could not be this in an adult?

Ha

Caring happens at many different levels.

At this point in my life, I am not looking for validation for the choices that I make and how I spend my time. But I care about the impact I have on other people. It's important to help make the world a better place, and if that is caring, then I am all in.

Validation is an entirely different matter. For me, validation is an internal thing, and I will do what I have to do to be true to my own values regardless of what other people think. To people on the outside, it might look like I don't care.

If someone acts this way at age 2 it is called boundary testing. Surely it could not be this in an adult?

Ha

It does seem like some sort of attention-seeking behavior, probably very similar to that of a two-year-old.

I tend to dress down and look like I'm broke.

I do care what others think of me, I want them to underestimate me.

I wear frayed jeans and wrinkled shirts in public. I eat wagyu and drink XO behind closed doors.

I used to care about what the siblings thought but eventually gave up on that. After being laid off twice 8 years apart in a 32 year IT career two of then somehow got the idea that I must be a total loser or screwed up something badly -- old school. The first time despite the efforts of me and several thousand others the company was acquired by the parent and promptly shut down and almost everybody was let go. Second one was a maniac small business owner (<15) with a history of mental problems. I always consistently got raises and promotions, and bonuses when I was on a bonus plan.

Except for the first two years I was never able to keep up with work in 40 hours per week. There was not a lot of time to enjoy nice vacations or accumulate stuff, and combined with some stealth wealth maybe some got the idea that we are dead broke.

One just called one day asked can you afford this. I mentioned maturing IT industry, recession, and after some recovery things will be fine, which they are. We could double our spending now.

I explained to another that for a few years I was engaged in a time consuming moonlighting effort that paid really well. I was asked to do this, not the other way around. Rustette injected that sometimes I came home, ate, then worked on this until 9, 10, or 11. Sibling very clearly thought we were lying. I also said that being in a 24x7 call rotation for a Fortune 500 (sometimes Fortune 100) data center and frequently getting scheduled in on weekends to implement changes was not easy. Businesses don't like changes to their data centers midweek because they need the computers to serve the business. They said they had to work at night, also -- school teachers who were required to sell concessions at the ball games. OK. I don't want to sound like I am picking on the teachers, but I didn't get every summer off, but these two acted like everybody everywhere had summers off. Took a two year hiatus from this pair except for going to their grandkids birthday parties. Showed them a box of correspondence, deliverables, contracts, purchase orders, and check stubs from this project and somehow they became convinced that it was not a lie. The relationship shows signs of recovery.

Oldest one consistently called me about twice a year with a sh!tload of condescension. In 2012 after I had to hear about how I was wasting my life they tried to tell me that Congress voted on the Social Security COLA every year, and I said, no, it is determined by the CPI and has been that way since about 1974, I decided enough is enough. Except for attending one of their life events a few years ago I have no contact. I was nice to them and their other guests, but did not linger after the event.

So mostly no.

Edit to add: These are the only people who treat me like this -- my closest living relatives. Go figure.

Last edited:
As an introvert of the extreme variety, I've often been the target of judgmental people who need to boost their ego by trying to tear someone else's down. I just brush them off without confrontation not worrying about things said by such people. I'm human too, or so my doctor tells me, but I try to not be judgmental as my faith teaches. It's tough to love those who try to hurt you or others, but that's a challenge we have in this life.

Back
Top Bottom