Do you try to get more educated in retirement?

misterantsypants

Recycles dryer sheets
It is my goal to learn Mandarin, because I love traveling in China, Chengdu (14 million) had 1 murder last year. Safe country.

Do you have any goals in this respect?

Not retired yet but love to learn. I've been to several schools on metal working (forging copper bowls) and hope to apprentice with a metal worker that I've met. No murders with this learning experience but have bashed my fingers once or twice. Believe my cousin speaks mandarin (started in elementary school) and he's quite good...since I don't know mandarin he could be saying anything. lol Do you speak any language? I don't have an ear for picking up languages.

I've taken a few free courses from Coursera.org. First one I took, on Thomas Jefferson, was really good. I've finished a couple others that were ok, and bailed out on a few that weren't good, or not what I expected. Other than that I learn what I need to thru Google and trail and error to do things like keep a couple of web sites updates, do custom maps, etc. If I had a good idea for an app for personal use I'd try again to learn how to write them, but I haven't found the motivation.

Language for travel would be a good motivator but I don't travel internationally that much and don't have a specific non-English speaking place I'd frequent.

Not interested in education for education's sake. It's got to interest me.

I've been traveling internationally since 1970, and English has worked okay throughout the years. As long as I can order a beer and food, I'm good. Now, English is the world's universal language.
And Europeans just love to hear a southerner's accent.

Everywhere I travel, I learn to say please, thank you, excuse me, and do you speak english in the native tongue. Not usually needed, but I find that the locals often react much more warmly if you show you're making an effort. I still have a very long travel bucket list, but if we travel more often to a particular area I would definitely try to become a little more conversant and learn how to say things like "one beer, please" or "where do the local residents like to eat?"

Besides my native English, I know a smattering of Deutsche and Hangul (more of former/less of latter). It's been very helpful and makes life x% better.

I will learn some Spanish over the next few years. I know a handful of phrases, but want to be semi-conversant. I worked in Mexico and loved the culture of our Latino neighbors. We want to travel there and to other LA countries.

I also read a lot about the founding of the USA. My focus is on events leading up to the War for Independence, the war, the Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution (and shortly thereafter). The more I read about it, the more I am convinced it was a great, great miracle. Our founders were, like us, flawed humans. But they were indeed brilliant, and (with rare exception) put the founding of a nation well ahead of personal gain.

While my commitment level varies, I believe in self improvement at all ages. WRT aforementioned sentence, DW might make a compelling argument that I'm just failing with confidence. :(

It is my goal to learn Mandarin, because I love traveling in China, Chengdu (14 million) had 1 murder last year. Safe country.

I have done tons of education during retirement. A lot informal, some formal. Learned several new skills, even cracked a few college texts and completed them.

Languages are definitely a favorite. I have improved a couple a lot and learned a new one. I did pretty well in France, and my Dutch is starting to be useful.

Tons of resources on the Internet.

My first language was Lithuanian, then English. Now it seems to be the other way around. I don't get much practice now that my grandmother and mother have passed.

Two years in Germany got me a few phrases and I could get buy OK.

DW and I learned Spanish shortly before retiring, became fluent. Partly because we were thinking of retiring to Mexico, which never happened.

DW has taught herself watercolor painting and is now quite accomplished. I started wood carving, did my first tiki-totem. Someone offered to buy it recently.

Most of my reading these days is non-fiction - history, philosophy, and physics (which was my career for many years). I still like learning new things about the world.

I thought would take classes but I haven’t yet. Been too busy traveling, hosting family visits, and volunteering. However I’m cutting back a bit on volunteer work so I have more time for myself, so we’ll see.

After retiring, I learned a bit of French and Japanese, am reading more literature, and studying a lot of health related topics (cholesterol, diet, cancer, etc). Besides aforementioned, I am learning a bit of this and that whatever interests me at the time. For example, when I was trying to fix a TV, I had to learn about electronic. Learning never stops in my life, before or after retirement. After retirement, just have more time to learn.

Last edited:
Seems language wins, but was glad some mentioned interesting craft classes and history. Got me motivated study some history even if I just read the books.

For those who have used the language of the country you are visiting, are you able to understand replies? For me, 2 years high school French allow me to ask questions but I'm instantly lost as they reply.

Would love to do the copper class but my apt has thin walls so the neighbors might object. Maybe someday?

I have done tons of education during retirement. A lot informal, some formal. Learned several new skills, even cracked a few college texts and completed them.

Languages are definitely a favorite. I have improved a couple a lot and learned a new one. I did pretty well in France, and my Dutch is starting to be useful.

Tons of resources on the Internet.

Oh, the internet is awesome! I love ocw.mit.edu.
Here is sample question I could not answer!!.

Sincere praise? Subversive criticism? Ambivalence? How would you characterize Virgil's attitude towards the Augustan Principate in the Aeneid?

While I travel the US to various wine producing areas, DW and I are always learning about various styles, techniques, and secrets of various winemakers nation wide. One can never learn enough about anything, yet alone wine making.

One of my biggest feats this year was taking a 15 gallon barrel apart, re-conditioning the inside, and re-assembling the barrel properly, with no leaks on the first try. And it has been working hard aging a Bordeaux style blend since the first week of June.

I keep forgetting to get the Spanish Rosetta Stone CDs we gave our son when he graduated from college. While he took Spanish in grade and high school, he needed some refresher work so he was up to somewhat stride when he traveled to South/Central America for business. He no longer works for that company, and doesn't need the CDs.

I'm an avid DIYer. Also, have several passions/hobbies, like woodworking, music, cooking, and science. YouTube is my friend. I subscribe to about 25 channels, mostly on those topics, and all with a DIY angle. Since retiring, I'm learning faster than I can try new things. This week, I'm repurposing an old English sideboard into a bathroom vanity for one of our remodeling projects. Tonight is stuffed eggplant, which I've never done before.

I'm an avid DIYer. Also, have several passions/hobbies, like woodworking, music, cooking, and science. YouTube is my friend. I subscribe to about 25 channels, mostly on those topics, and all with a DIY angle. Since retiring, I'm learning faster than I can try new things. This week, I'm repurposing an old English sideboard into a bathroom vanity for one of our remodeling projects. Tonight is stuffed eggplant, which I've never done before.

WRT cooking, this guy has a tiny kitchen but his website has some of the best recipes ever closetcooking.com, ugh didn't do that correct.

Also on youtube find Foodranger or trevor james, I envy that guy, he makes a living traveling and sampling exotic dishes in exotic places.

Honestly, for once in my life, I don't have to TRY to get more educated - - I can (and do) easily explore many facets of mankind's knowledge and can barely avoid doing so in my daily life. So much information is right here at my fingertips, on the internet.

I already have multiple advanced degrees and don't feel the need for any more formal education. But informal? It is all around us, every day. All we need is curiosity and opportunity, and I am not presently lacking in either. :D

Free online courses on my iPad through iTunes U. What a fantastic deal! There are numerous others, but this one was easiest. Also, digitized, out-of-copyright history books through Google Books. There’s more “there” than you can digest in several lifetimes...

I got a BS in Computer Science. Mostly because GI bill was paying me to go to school (fatten the stache) and because I have always wanted to learn to program.

Granted, I could have learned to program for free on the interwebs but then nobody was going to pay me for it so there is that.

I thought about using the rest of my GI Bill to go to Law School but dont want to study for the LSAT.

Now I am leaning toward a graduate degree (MS or PHD) in Machine Learning or something of the sort. The field catches my interest.

Then again I have always wanted to learn to weld so may go that route.

I have to disagree with the data. They just do not allow unfavorable data to appear or to be reported. (I am from there).
Mandarin is a very difficult language, especially reading and writing. In Chengdu, they speak a different dialect. A few hundred miles outside Chengdu, you may hear a different dialect.

I got a BS in Computer Science. Mostly because GI bill was paying me to go to school (fatten the stache) and because I have always wanted to learn to program.

Granted, I could have learned to program for free on the interwebs but then nobody was going to pay me for it so there is that.

I thought about using the rest of my GI Bill to go to Law School but dont want to study for the LSAT.

Now I am leaning toward a graduate degree (MS or PHD) in Machine Learning or something of the sort. The field catches my interest.

Then again I have always wanted to learn to weld so may go that route.
Unsolicited, but think about AI, my friend is currently working in AI and his job seems great, but I'm not the one going to work each day. You'll likely do well anything you choose.

Unsolicited, but think about AI, my friend is currently working in AI and his job seems great, but I'm not the one going to work each day. You'll likely do well anything you choose.

Most definitely interested in AI. I think deep learning is where I am leaning.

I have no intention of doing it for a J.O.B...

I just like the field and find it absolutely fascinating. I like the math and stats/prob, and using the computer to do all the grunt work looks like so much fun. Plus if my dear old Uncle Sam insists on paying me to do it, who am I to say no.

Honestly, for once in my life, I don't have to TRY to get more educated - - I can (and do) easily explore many facets of mankind's knowledge and can barely avoid doing so in my daily life. So much information is right here at my fingertips, on the internet.

I already have multiple advanced degrees and don't feel the need for any more formal education. But informal? It is all around us, every day. All we need is curiosity and opportunity, and I am not presently lacking in either. :D

+1

love the new, but starting to lose some of the old... French, German and Latin are on the downside... no one to talk with... nothing with Astronomy, World Religions, Classical Music or Art Appreciation, and Creative Writing has gone... well... you know...:angel:

Too old to go back to school, and my local library is the weakest part of the town where we live.

About the only single science that I try to stay up with, is Psych... but surprisingly, not a whole lot newer than what I learned 60 years ago.

The most fun is politics, and I split my time between the conservative and liberal TV stations and websites. Headspinning...:LOL:

I learned a two languages that I'd never tried while w*rking.

I've coded in many "tongues" through the years, but never for a mobile device, so....

The results: released mobile apps on Google Play and Apple App Store.

I wrote more in this post, which has a lot of the same stuff as will probably be in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom