Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Sorry - - guess I was feeling a little excess "Protestant ethic" guilt at the idea of retiring.
That's OK. I have a special place in my future SS check heart for those who are unable to pull the plug.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:11 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I would too, if I didn't know with 100% certainty the person saying it was 1) in the exact same situation and 2) had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek.
Yeah, we both have a lot in common. We are even in the same state now.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #23

Kalmloki, MacDaddy, NewGuy, Johnny -- wow those are all great stories. My own approach to semi-retirement doesn't make much income but it sure is fun. I found my 'inner artist' and have been making sculpture. (And writing books about the joys of semi-retirement :-0 ) For me it gives structure and purpose to my life-after-full-time-career. "Sideways" was a great movie and introduced me to Pinot Noir, for which I am very grateful, but without some structured projects/challenges, I'd probably drift into a Sideways-like existence which wouldn't be good for me.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
You can make a hobby that you enjoy into a part-time job. In fact, this is how many self-employed people get started.
Though I don't ever plan on w*rking in retirement, I have a good friend that opened a hobby shop after he ER'd. He was a teacher at the local HS, and an avid model railroader. He figured it would be nice to be able to buy all of his supplies at dealer cost, so he became a dealer! His family owned several commercial building in town, and when one of their tenants closed their business, he opened his. When he out grew that building, he moved into another one that he owns, and rented out the first one.

He said since the property is already paid for, all he needs money for is utilities, taxes, and insurance, so he puts a VERY small mark-up on things and sells just slightly above dealer cost to everyone!

He's open evenings during the week, and for about 6 hours on Saturday. He's normally there anyway, "workin' on the railroad", so it doesn't really take any of his free time away. Plus he gets to see all of his friends, since we drop in quite regularly.

So his small business is just an extension of his hobby, and we all benefit because of it!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
I help my neighbor bale hay - rake, I trade off for work around my place.

If I could muster up the drive I would really like to become a local advocate for solar energy in my rural community - so far I'm just thinking about it but maybe in the future.

I have become a bit lazy in my retirement and don't take anything that seriously.

Peace

That is a great idea! But you are correct it would take some work.

You could help by educating people and working with manufacturers to get some solid implementations in your area to showcase the technology.

If you pursue it, keep us informed.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
$125 per year for 10-15 hours a week? I would like that job!
$200/hour * 12.5/hours/week * 48 weeks/year = $120,000/year

not that far out of bounds for a non primary care physician in a favorable setup, the key is no call
Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I started farming after I ER'ed from hi-tech land...I figure I'll just keep on running my farm "business" until I am all out of money and am forced to go back to work .
Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
I started farming after I ER'ed from hi-tech land...I figure I'll just keep on running my farm "business" until I am all out of money and am forced to go back to work .
Heh - so the farmer wins the lottery and is asked what he'll do with all the money and he says "..."
Old 09-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

When Megacorp layed off a bunch of us "older guys," most needed to go find work and some were quite successful at it. A friend who landed an attractive spot with a logistics firm emailed one day saying he had a part time opening for me. It sounded pretty good from both a pay and duty standpoint. As I mulled it over during the day, I drifted from feeling flattered and excited to dreading slipping back into the harness, even a part time harness. By evening I became comfortable with responding saying thanks but that I'm retired now...... That was my second instance of coming to the relization that my desired lifestyle no longer includes employment.

The first instance of "retirement realization" occurred at the outplacement service provided by Megacorp to layoff victims. I qualified for the "full service" outplacement package and enjoyed a desk with a georgeous view from a seventh floor window, secretarial services, classes, counseling, etc., etc. It really wasn't a bad place to spend a few hours. But it had a big negative...... I was surrounded by guys who really needed to find a significant job and pronto. Being with them started to grate on me. I took advantage of a few services to get my resume updated, get some on-camera interview practice and then dropped out and haven't looked back.

The current decision on my plate is whether to renew my professional certifications or not. It will cost a few hundred bux and, for one certification, require me to go take a class. I'm thinking no..... DW agrees....

I'm retired now!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The current decision on my plate is whether to renew my professional certifications or not. It will cost a few hundred bux and, for one certification, require me to go take a class. I'm thinking no..... DW agrees....

I'm retired now!
When I RE'd in June, I'd just renewed 2 certifications (at Mega-Corp's expense). Thought I might want to do a bit of 'consulting'. Now,not a chance. I feel really guilty ok with wasting their money.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #31

I plan on working PT, but it will not get in the way of my hobbies. A lesson learned from my dad (Joe - retired Navy). He would occasionally pick up a PT job after his retirement and he made it clear that he needed time off for hunting, fishing, and other worthwhile hobbies. He definitely had his priorities figured out.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
When he out grew that building, he moved into another one that he owns, and rented out the first one.

He said since the property is already paid for, all he needs money for is utilities, taxes, and insurance, so he puts a VERY small mark-up on things and sells just slightly above dealer cost to everyone!
Goonie,

No wonder his business is growing, he's giving the stuff away. I'll bet if there are competitors in town, they hate him.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Goonie,

No wonder his business is growing, he's giving the stuff away. I'll bet if there are competitors in town, they hate him.
Nearest competitors are about 50 miles SW from him. He lives in Podunk, IL......just a stones throw from Nowheresville. I live in Hicktown, about 20 miles east of him, and 40 miles from the next nearest hobby shop to me.....which would be about 60 miles from him. So competition isn't much of a factor.

He's our 'neighborhood' hobby shop. For our area it's either shop at his place or mail-order. Heck, he'll even let you know if you can get something on-sale cheaper somewhere else.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I feel really guilty ok with wasting their money.
LOL, kumquat, I have a similar attitude forming. My stated goal for many years has been to collect as much in pension from the Feds as they have paid me in salary over the years. I figure they owe me that for the miserable places I've worked for them.

As for the OP, I have plans to combine my two greatest pleasures; motorcycles and teaching. I will be riding my motorcycle while I referee professional bicycle races (and getting paid mostly under the table for it). I will be teaching motorcycle safety courses for the state (and getting paid pretty well for it). And I will be substitute teaching at local schools in the off season.

The key with ALL of them is that they are at my convenience.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently retired and have thought about part time work. The problem is I don't have any work I would really like to do. Also, it's been over twenty years since I have looked for a job and interviewed. I feel out of the flow
Old 09-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting thread, been reviewing my situation lately and came to the conclusion that I am retired. I don't want a J-O-B. I always hated being told what to do, how to do it, where to do it, when to do it. I did what I was told, believed the party line as best as I was capable of at the time. Now, after tasting freedom, I would wave off any job and I might not be polite in the hand signal.

I do what I want here at the farm, when I get bored tired or want to do something else or do nothing I do it. This Is The Greatest Life, to be your own person not somebody's employee, servant, slave, provider, teacher, partner, worker, or what ever. Now when the phone rings, I don't answer it nor do I jump or get uptight, I don't care who is on the phone or what they want, if it seems important I will get back to them if not I won't.

About feelings for the past organization, they have faded fast, the org used me without any apologies and would have not cared one twit if I died on the job some other sucker would have taken my place with a smile on his/her lips.

The best revenge is living well-somebody said that who? Oscar Wilde?

Kitty
Old 09-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

In celebration of this thread - I've decided to let the yard grass grow yet another day.

Perhaps - I'll cut on a 'nothing in particular(to do) day' - or not.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
In celebration of this thread - I've decided to let the yard grass grow yet another day.

Perhaps - I'll cut on a 'nothing in particular(to do) day' - or not.

You're such a great mentor! I'm waiting too. It's just too nice out again today, to be bothered with yard w*rk! The grass needed cutting yesterday, so I'm sure it'll still need it a day or 2 from now!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
The grass needed cutting yesterday, so I'm sure it'll still need it a day or 2 from now!
Goonie, funny how that works, isn't it? I've never seen the grass go from needing-to-be-cut to not-needing-to-be-cut; unless I cut it. But somehow, a bout five days after I cut it, it's right back to needing it again.

Speaking of which, lucky me! My WSIL came over to day and mowed all of the lawn and then did the weedwacking while I was off teaching a MSF course. Wonder what he wants now?
Old 09-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnckpa View Post
Speaking of which, lucky me! My WSIL came over to day and mowed all of the lawn and then did the weedwacking while I was off teaching a MSF course. Wonder what he wants now?
Ah, come on.....maybe he's just being nice!