Does anyone out there "work" in their retirement?

$125 per year for 10-15 hours a week? I would like that job!

$200/hour * 12.5/hours/week * 48 weeks/year = $120,000/year

not that far out of bounds for a non primary care physician in a favorable setup, the key is no call :)

I started farming after I ER'ed from hi-tech land...I figure I'll just keep on running my farm "business" until I am all out of money and am forced to go back to work :).

I started farming after I ER'ed from hi-tech land...I figure I'll just keep on running my farm "business" until I am all out of money and am forced to go back to work :).

Heh - so the farmer wins the lottery and is asked what he'll do with all the money and he says "..."

When Megacorp layed off a bunch of us "older guys," most needed to go find work and some were quite successful at it. A friend who landed an attractive spot with a logistics firm emailed one day saying he had a part time opening for me. It sounded pretty good from both a pay and duty standpoint. As I mulled it over during the day, I drifted from feeling flattered and excited to dreading slipping back into the harness, even a part time harness. By evening I became comfortable with responding saying thanks but that I'm retired now...... That was my second instance of coming to the relization that my desired lifestyle no longer includes employment.

The first instance of "retirement realization" occurred at the outplacement service provided by Megacorp to layoff victims. I qualified for the "full service" outplacement package and enjoyed a desk with a georgeous view from a seventh floor window, secretarial services, classes, counseling, etc., etc. It really wasn't a bad place to spend a few hours. But it had a big negative...... I was surrounded by guys who really needed to find a significant job and pronto. Being with them started to grate on me. I took advantage of a few services to get my resume updated, get some on-camera interview practice and then dropped out and haven't looked back.

The current decision on my plate is whether to renew my professional certifications or not. It will cost a few hundred bux and, for one certification, require me to go take a class. I'm thinking no..... DW agrees....

I'm retired now!

The current decision on my plate is whether to renew my professional certifications or not. It will cost a few hundred bux and, for one certification, require me to go take a class. I'm thinking no..... DW agrees....

I'm retired now!

When I RE'd in June, I'd just renewed 2 certifications (at Mega-Corp's expense). Thought I might want to do a bit of 'consulting'. Now,not a chance. I feel [-]really guilty[/-] ok with wasting their money.

I plan on working PT, but it will not get in the way of my hobbies. A lesson learned from my dad (Joe - retired Navy). He would occasionally pick up a PT job after his retirement and he made it clear that he needed time off for hunting, fishing, and other worthwhile hobbies. He definitely had his priorities figured out.

When he out grew that building, he moved into another one that he owns, and rented out the first one.

He said since the property is already paid for, all he needs money for is utilities, taxes, and insurance, so he puts a VERY small mark-up on things and sells just slightly above dealer cost to everyone!

Goonie,

No wonder his business is growing, he's giving the stuff away. I'll bet if there are competitors in town, they hate him.:mad:

Goonie,

No wonder his business is growing, he's giving the stuff away. I'll bet if there are competitors in town, they hate him.:mad:

Nearest competitors are about 50 miles SW from him. He lives in Podunk, IL......just a stones throw from Nowheresville. I live in Hicktown, about 20 miles east of him, and 40 miles from the next nearest hobby shop to me.....which would be about 60 miles from him. So competition isn't much of a factor.

He's our 'neighborhood' hobby shop. For our area it's either shop at his place or mail-order. Heck, he'll even let you know if you can get something on-sale cheaper somewhere else. :D

I feel [-]really guilty[/-] ok with wasting their money.

LOL, kumquat, I have a similar attitude forming. My stated goal for many years has been to collect as much in pension from the Feds as they have paid me in salary over the years. I figure they owe me that for the miserable places I've worked for them.

As for the OP, I have plans to combine my two greatest pleasures; motorcycles and teaching. I will be riding my motorcycle while I referee professional bicycle races (and getting paid mostly under the table for it). I will be teaching motorcycle safety courses for the state (and getting paid pretty well for it). And I will be substitute teaching at local schools in the off season.

The key with ALL of them is that they are at my convenience.

I recently retired and have thought about part time work. The problem is I don't have any work I would really like to do. Also, it's been over twenty years since I have looked for a job and interviewed. I feel out of the flow

Interesting thread, been reviewing my situation lately and came to the conclusion that I am retired. I don't want a J-O-B. I always hated being told what to do, how to do it, where to do it, when to do it. I did what I was told, believed the party line as best as I was capable of at the time. Now, after tasting freedom, I would wave off any job and I might not be polite in the hand signal.

I do what I want here at the farm, when I get bored tired or want to do something else or do nothing I do it. This Is The Greatest Life, to be your own person not somebody's employee, servant, slave, provider, teacher, partner, worker, or what ever. Now when the phone rings, I don't answer it nor do I jump or get uptight, I don't care who is on the phone or what they want, if it seems important I will get back to them if not I won't.

About feelings for the past organization, they have faded fast, the org used me without any apologies and would have not cared one twit if I died on the job some other sucker would have taken my place with a smile on his/her lips.

The best revenge is living well-somebody said that who? Oscar Wilde?

Kitty

In celebration of this thread - I've decided to let the yard grass grow yet another day.

Perhaps - I'll cut on a 'nothing in particular(to do) day' - or not.

:cool:

In celebration of this thread - I've decided to let the yard grass grow yet another day.

Perhaps - I'll cut on a 'nothing in particular(to do) day' - or not.

:cool:

You're such a great mentor! I'm waiting too. It's just too nice out again today, to be bothered with yard w*rk! The grass needed cutting yesterday, so I'm sure it'll still need it a day or 2 from now! :D

The grass needed cutting yesterday, so I'm sure it'll still need it a day or 2 from now! :D

Goonie, funny how that works, isn't it? I've never seen the grass go from needing-to-be-cut to not-needing-to-be-cut; unless I cut it. But somehow, a bout five days after I cut it, it's right back to needing it again.

Speaking of which, lucky me! My WSIL came over to day and mowed all of the lawn and then did the weedwacking while I was off teaching a MSF course. Wonder what he wants now?

Maybe,,,but it's going to take more than one day to convince me of that. Although I did make a point of going out back to thank him before I headed for the prison. I think I shocked him.

Running a little farm or ranch, or heck, just cutting the lawn -- you'll never get away from some sort of obligations as long as you're alive. Even if you're sitting in a wheelchair you've got to sip out of your sippy cup and make sure somebody's paying the bills.

I think getting to that blissful state of freedom is more about state of mind than it is about truly dodging each and every obligation that might crop up. So as long as you're going to have obligations, chores or challenges, might as well make them interesting ones, imho.

It may never be a J*B, heck even I get the willies when the J-word comes up, but the concept of 'work' in ER never bothered me, I guess because I define it so broadly. It's what we do as part of a life intertwined with our fellow human or animal beings, and sometimes we figure out a way to get a little money for it.

There are lots of people out there who leverage their life and business experience in their retirement. They find ways to have fun and earn extra dough writing books, doing consulting, and marketing their skills and experience. I found that the internet empowers you to get in front of a whole big world of people out there who are interested in what I did during my career!

RetireDon

Running a little farm or ranch, or heck, just cutting the lawn -- you'll never get away from some sort of obligations as long as you're alive. Even if you're sitting in a wheelchair you've got to sip out of your sippy cup and make sure somebody's paying the bills.

I think getting to that blissful state of freedom is more about state of mind than it is about truly dodging each and every obligation that might crop up. So as long as you're going to have obligations, chores or challenges, might as well make them interesting ones, imho.

It may never be a J*B, heck even I get the willies when the J-word comes up, but the concept of 'work' in ER never bothered me, I guess because I define it so broadly. It's what we do as part of a life intertwined with our fellow human or animal beings, and sometimes we figure out a way to get a little money for it.

Couldn't agree more. BTW I thought your chapter on "Do Anything You Want, But do Something" was spot on. I look forward to trying out several different money making hobbies and see which one sticks, though in my case they all involve self employment. The money making aspect is really part of the fun for me.

I think what I have found is retirement does not mean we are worthless and can't contribute to society anymore. We can still have hobbies and make money.

ESRBob and TargaDave what book/e-book are we talking about here? I think I'd like to read that chapter too.

ESRBob ==> Bob Clyatt, author of "Work Less, Live More: The New Way to Retire Early"

Do a quick Google search and you will see it on Amazon and elsewhere. I really enjoyed the whole book. Bob is a great person to have on this board.

According to Webster's....

Retirement means "withdrawal from one's position or occupation or from active working life"

That dosen't mean that you don't do anything. You do get to persue what you think is important. It may be a hobby, it may be starting a business, it may even be working for your old employeer (at reduced hours).

For me, I spent "too many years" worring about the future to persue any "hobbies" (yes, I drove street bikes in my "earlier age", but that was not a hobby).

Since I retired in May, I looked for something that would "make a difference" - e.g. not to me, but to society. We (DW/me) have been "blessed" to be able to retire early and become financially independent (no, not rich - you know what I mean).

I did a couple of things trying to search for something that matched my interest to make that difference. I became "certified" by our local credit counseling agency to give classes in personal finance (e.g. budgeting) along with understanding what a credit report and how it gets used. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of "need" to teach folks to "manage their money" (duh :rolleyes: ).

I've given blood at the local blood bank every 8 weeks. Something I wanted to do while working, but the time constraints always interferred.

I also started as a driver for the local "meals-on-wheels" group, which delivers meals to the aged and shut-in's. It's a real eye-opener to see how folks really are affected in their old-age, along with the challanges that we all may face in the future. I enjoyed it so much that I signed up for an additional route, which has me voluntering two days a week. Only a few hours out of my "busy schedule", but it's a constant reminder of the "good life" that I have.

As far as persuing a "traditional retirement hobby" (like golf) I don't think so. Additionally, since we will never have any grandkids (our son is disabled) what would be a "normal family retirement situation", we will continue to try to find some more "opportunites to make a difference".

- Ron

I've incorporated (for liability protection) and am doing a little IT consulting, however I can't make too much money or it will start to burn me. Until you are 65 social security benefits decrease by $1 for every $2 you make over a certain amount. That's a 50% tax on your income! Add in the 15% self employment tax and 7% state income tax and a 25% marginal fed income tax and you're left with a whopping 3% take home. So for a job that pays me $100, I get $3.

No thanks.

Jim.

Back
Top Bottom