Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As I get older, I think I would prefer a very much enhanced mass transit system to a driverless car. The latter is technically a great idea, and probably lots of fun for those developing it, but such a car could be hard for some older people to accept without any concern.

On the other hand, it would be really neat if small buses or vans went up and down each of the major streets here every five minutes, with benches everywhere for waiting. Honestly I would ditch my car right now if that was the case, especially if they were free for those over a certain age or if I could buy an annual pass for unlimited bus riding.

I envision a fleet of driverless Uber taxis, providing transportation for the masses. Not having to pay for a driver will make them far less expensive.

Also the ability to detect patterns in travel will make it much easier to to facilitate ride sharing, and offer even lower cost rides. So if Bill, Sue, and Joe all live within a mile of each other and all commute downtown between 7:30 and 7:45 they can offer big incentives to ride share. Bill may leave promptly at 4:30, and he can join a carpool of three others going home at that time. While Sue and Joe work until 6:00 and they can commute with Jill who visits her boyfriend out near where Sue and Joe live.

I am pretty optimistic than in the next 20-25 years, I'll have transportation options which allow me to give up my car but not my independence.

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I saw Pete Rose interview two of the Google guys involved last night.

Thoughts of the 1962 movie with Kirk Douglas, Lonely are the Brave crossed my mind. That 1932 three window retro Ford Street Rod in my newly acquired garage (yet to be cleaned out) died wirh a tear in my eye.

An era has past.

heh heh heh - not to cross thread but now I do feel old. Whaaa!

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Heck, I'm not old yet and I can't wait! I don't like to drive and hope these catch on.
+1 I hope the day does come when I can order a smart car on demand from my smart phone and I don't actually have to own a car. Maybe it's time for me to buy Google.

Letj is offline   Reply With Quote