ER Home in Florida

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
If you were establishing a primary or secondary residence in Florida in ER which city would you choose and why. Which city (cities) would you avoid and why ?

ferco said:
If you were establishing a primary or secondary residence in Florida in ER which city would you choose and why. Which city (cities) would you avoid and why ?

Now my DW just heard froma client that they wanted to move away from Florida due to some new tax on retirees. She wasn't clear on it, but this guy wasn't happy.

On the subject, I personally would stay away from the swampy, interior areas. Bugs as big as your head from what I have heard. Probably better home prices though.

I would lean towards the Cape Coral area - I really like the canals and water access they provide. I like the west coast better. Would go all the way south to the Keys if I could afford it (I can't).

I have relatives who live in Sun City Center, a retirement community south of Tampa. Nice place, reasonable cost of living, nice ameneties - but perhaps too many old people!!!

Great question. I have been thinking about this myself. I don't want to trade the 5-6 miserable freezing months of winter in the midwest for 5-6 oppressive months of heat and humidity in south Florida. A friend has bought a home in one of the panhandle cities and seems to like it, but I have been trying to find out information and have come to wonder about Jacksonville.

I would love to hear from any Jacksonville residents who are able to comment on what it's really like.

I like to rent a place in Florida during the winter months but would want to buy a property. I like NY since it's very convenient but don't like the bone chilling winters. As I get older, sports injury seemed to get worst during the winter. I rented a place in Tampa for a week this winter to get the feel of the place and I realized it would be cheaper to rent than buying when most I'll be in Florida is about 3 to 4 month out of the year. Only thing I like about Florida is no city or state income tax. I may buy a small unit with bear minimum cost in Florida just to save on NYC and NY taxes.

We lived in Lakeland for a few years. OK place, but nothing special.

Orlando was interesting back then. Don't know about today.

We liked Pensacola. A diverse community, comfortable little place. Navy town. Many retirees already. A small college, as I recall. Relatively close to NOLA when the mood strikes you.

Sannibel Island looks interesting.

Tampa is maybe too big by now.

Yes, I have heard about a special tax on folks who do not live there full time. No details.

Vacationed in Sarasota last summer. What a great clean city!
Beautiful beaches/water and the bay is nice.

I would certainly consider Sarasota for retirement destination in florida.

I like to rent a place in Florida during the winter months but would want to buy a property. I like NY since it's very convenient but don't like the bone chilling winters. As I get older, sports injury seemed to get worst during the winter. I rented a place in Tampa for a week this winter to get the feel of the place and I realized it would be cheaper to rent than buying when most I'll be in Florida is about 3 to 4 month out of the year. Only thing I like about Florida is no city or state income tax. I may buy a small unit with bear minimum cost in Florida just to save on NYC and NY taxes.

I think you'd have to spend more than 6 months in Fla to claim full time residency. Other than that you'd be considered a tax cheat, you wouldn't want that title, would you?:greetings10:

I think you'd have to spend more than 6 months in Fla to claim full time residency. Other than that you'd be considered a tax cheat, you wouldn't want that title, would you?:greetings10:
No, what I meant was to buy a small place and live there to avoid NYC and NY taxes on my withdrawal taxable income. If I only have to live there for more than 6 months, it would be worth it. I thought I had to live there 12 months out of the year. :blush: From NYC and NY taxes that I will save, I can live for almost free.

We chose the Space Coast area. We never really considered the Gulf Coast because we already had Lake Front property. The area South of Cocoa Beach has plenty of Public Beaches and Tourists seem to gravitate elsewhere. Melbourne Beach and South to the Sabastian Inlet is one of the most beautiful (and least visited) stretches of beach in the State. Beach side property is very reasonable compared to many areas in Florida. There really is more to this area than Ron Jon's in Cocoa Beach.

I live in Orlando. Lots of great houses for next to nothing prices right now, and the bugs in central Fla are not as bad as reported. Tons of stuff to do, and an easy drive to both east and west coasts.

None :cool: ...

DW/me lived there (military). We could not get by the heat, humidity, bugs, weather, etc.

Better than Texas (yes, I lived in the Panhandle), but worse than what we desired.

For some, I understand that it may be great. As for us? We returned to the place of our birth (mid-Atlantic) and have no plans to move.

Everybody is different, with different goals/expectations. I wor*ed with a lot of folks who expected to move in retirement, without actually living in an area; it was based upon what they read.

I know my comment does not necessarily answer your question, but "we've been there" and just gave my/our opinion.

If you are truly interested, may I suggest you rent a place for a year (all seasons) until you make a firm decision (regardless of location)?

Just my/our $.02.

If you can afford it, I would skip Florida and choose San Diego. Best year round weather in the continental U.S.

If you can afford it, I would skip Florida and choose San Diego. Best year round weather in the continental U.S.
I would agree. While never living there, we have often traveled to the city and have enjoyed our time there (including the "birdbath Margaritas") in Old Town.

The only concern I would have in "these days" is the border situation which was not a concern in the past, when we went over the border.

I for one, would also be concerned with the "state finances", even though I'm retired.

We've been going to Fort Lauderdale for almost 20 years now. Lots to do and a good mix of old and young people (rather than just a bunch of old people).

Unless you plan to live there for more than the three winter months, we've discovered that it is better to rent which is what we do. Just set aside $12K in the annual budget and go for it; no need to worry about condo assessments, taxes and changing neighborhoods. For the aforementioned $12K you can get three months beachside, parking and a pool; drop off the key until next year when April comes!

DH and i recently returned from a 5 day trip to Ft. Myers. We loved it, but this is what we heard. The Lee County housing market is very depressed. You can buy houses at bargain prices, but do have the sheet rock checked out. Many homes have dry wall imported that has very dangerous chemicals. I never did catch on what that entailed, but these were friends who have retired to Boca Raton, so i am guessing they have good info.

I think i would like it there (but, after a 5 day trip, who knows>), tho our friends are ready to move.

You really need to tour Florida and find out where you fit . When we were looking I narrowed it down by what I wanted . Close Beaches , Good health care , shopping , reasonable home prices , public transportation for when I am older , restaurants and friendly people . We visited several times before we moved and then we rented for a year before buying a house . I also subscribed to the local newspaper for six months before we picked an area ( now you can do that online ).

Silver said:
I live in Orlando. Lots of great houses for next to nothing prices right now, and the bugs in central Fla are not as bad as reported. Tons of stuff to do, and an easy drive to both east and west coasts.

What do I know, I live in Nevada. I only have 2nd hand exaggerations.

I live between Gainesville and Ocala, and LOVE it. The summers are no worse than I suffered thru up north, and the winters? Well, Ive picked tomatoes on Christmas, so does that tell you anything about the winters? Im about an hour and a half from one of the most beautiful clean quiet beaches you can imagine. Its wonderful.

Yup - and not cheap - taxes...income, property (when you buy new you get socked - oh and other taxes for schools, etc), county and sales taxes some of the highest in the country. Yes, you better speak Spanish - parking at the beaches is expensive. Beautiful place - if governance was not what it is right now would be there in a heartbeat...and I've lived in CA (San Diego, LA, Bay Area, Sacramento) for 16 years of my life - San Diego the best. If you are a military retiree, might be worth it if you've got a way to get cheaper housing....

Aside from a network of family and friends, what do you want in your “city of residence”? Your requirements can help narrow the list of candidates.

Regarding residency, there is no specific Florida residency requirement aside from having a Florida address. If you plan to live among two or more states, it’s more a question of not being considered a resident of the other states. There are also no unique taxes for part-time Florida residents, but property owners that are residents of other states do not enjoy homestead property tax protection.

DH and i recently returned from a 5 day trip to Ft. Myers. We loved it, but this is what we heard. The Lee County housing market is very depressed. You can buy houses at bargain prices, but do have the sheet rock checked out. Many homes have dry wall imported that has very dangerous chemicals. I never did catch on what that entailed, but these were friends who have retired to Boca Raton, so i am guessing they have good info.

I think i would like it there (but, after a 5 day trip, who knows>), tho our friends are ready to move.

You do need to be careful of houses/condos that have been abandonded/foreclosed/left unattended for a long time. Mold is a big problem for homes where the A/C has been off for a while. Also check out your potential neighbors...are they squatters? cheapsters who've moved in for a song? Risky times buying in FLA, I think. Rent for a while instead.

My parents lived in the Edgewater/New Smyrna Beach area (just south of Daytona Beach) for about 15 years and really enjoyed it. Less than 90 minutes over to Orlando for the parks so we saved lots of $$$ on hotels by doing day trips when we visited them. They considered Jacksonville but found it was noticeably colder in the winter just that little bit more to the north.

Back
Top Bottom