ER in Rural Ireland?

ESRBob,

I will try to answer your questions, although I see VIC may have answered some as well. NZ wants people that will contribute to the economy, that is why skills, youth etc. are an advantage. Older people are undesirable because they cost more to look after with regards to medical care and pensions. There could be some social stigma to being an early retiree, but I proudly tell people I saved up enough not to work and they seem to accept that, except one fellow who did not believe me and thought I was embarrassed to say what I really did. The best advice I could give to someone intending on settling in another country is be prepared to embrace the culture of
that country (In NZ it is said to be rugby, racing and beer, but actually is a lot more), and not be one of these ugly Americans that is always telling people how things are done in America. I think as long as you are not super rich people will accept you. There have been a number of rich types (Shania Twain for example) who come down and buy up prime real estate for millions, and that does not go down too well.

vic said:
In developed nations like Canada, Australia and New-Zealand you can apply in the 'skilled worker' category based on a points system. This is a better category than retirement visas as far as that still exists. It is based on your language skills, age, education and work experience. As long as you are not too old, healthy with a good education in a high demand field, you are in.  Btw, it does not mean you will ever have to work. There may be some restrictions on how soon you can get on welfare after arrival, but otherwise there are no restrictions.

Canada, Australia and New-Zealand are all very very very easy compared to the USA. If you go, apply while you are still in your 40's otherwise you may have a tough time. Most of the countries have online self-assesment tests that give you and instant idea of your chances.

The US has a most outdated system that does not make sense. I spent 7 years in the INS nonsense mill. Canada was very easy - 2 hours to fill in the paperwork and within 6 weeks I got my permanent resident papers in the mail.  DH was in Australia for a while and he got an Australian passport after two years (although don't know where that went).

In developing nations like Costa Rica, Mexico etc. most of the immigration visas for retirees are in Belize etc. and they don't want you to work.

Europe is virtually impossible. If I were to move back to Europe with DH, it will take me months to years to get him the legal paperwork to become a permanent resident - even though I am a citizen. Immigration has tightened a lot and especially for 'import' spouses from developing nations.  The most ridiculous part is that he does qualify for EC citizenship based on our marriage. So if he were to do some language/culture test at the consulate now, he would become a citizen, no residency requirements needed. 

Vicky

I would not emigrate to any country that would want me as a citizen :)

JG

Don't worry, you are way too old to qualify for any of those places.... :D

Countries do not impose citizenship on other people, otherwise I would not be in the US

th said:
Lets chip in and send John to Sweden with a baguette and directions to a local bank.

Is that a baguette in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? :)

JG

Back
Top Bottom