ER overseas

Quite a coincidence... I was just on that website for the Bay Islands yesterday looking at "Mango House.

Uh oh bidding war. Real estate craze has spread to the far reaching areas. :D

wildcat,
Learn networks and apply to US military bases overseas. Actually they will recruit you.  And you will live all over the world.  At there expense.  Embassies all over the world will want you as a liason officer.

It's a great life.  Friend of mine worked in the Bangkok embassy and he still raves about it.

Sheryl said:
Here's the house I saw while there which I'd love to buy!  (Mango house)
Speaking as a mango-tree owner, it looks like the mango is right over the house. First thing I'd buy after closing is a chainsaw.

I've also learned to be a little leery of homes that have A/C with jalousie windows & open-beam ceilings (no insulation)...

pbrane said:
Sheryl: Quite a coincidence... I was just on that website for the Bay Islands yesterday looking at "Mango House." 

That is a coincidence.  I thought Utila was relatively undiscovered, yet.   Have you been there?   I stayed at the Mango Inn, and admired the nearby house, but didn't know it was for sale.  It is a short walk from town and the waterfront, but that may be a good thing in the long run. 

I'm planning another trip to Honduras in September, and I'm torn about going back to Utila or checking out Roatan.  I think like pbrane said it's a little more expensive - and to my tastes maybe too touristy. 

As far as the mainland - I'm not sure.  The beaches in Trujillo are beautiful but it's a pretty small town.  Nice people, though.  There is a very cool resort that I think is for sale in Trujillo called Villa Brinkley.   You could develop your "intentional community" there.

I was told by some that the beaches in La Cieba are considered too polluted to swim near town, but then others say that's changing.  There is a significant ex-pat community there if that's your thing.   

Hi:

I havn't been to the Bay Islands, but have been reading about them for years and some friends went there a few times and seem to like it --but just for vacations. Utila sounds good and land is still reasonable, I think. The thing about Panama is that land is still cheap and they have nice retirement incentives. They're also out of the hurricane belt, which has become a factor for me since experiencing my first one in Florida about 3 years ago..

[...  So I still am researching Panama, Brasil (I agree that Floripa looks interesting, but the $100 visa fee for Brasil kinda put me off)

The price is a bit steep, but Brazil does it only out of reciprocity (i.e. that's what Brazilians get charged for US Visas). That being said, the visa is good for multiple entries over 5 years, so it takes a bit of the sting out of it.

I think it would be ideal to do 6 months here (for me its central Wisconsin) and 6 months "there." I'm not sure if I can swing it financially. The only way for me would be to have a project (like building or remodeling a house) in each or at least one location going every few years. Or maybe start a little resort or have a rental property etc.

Regarding Brasil (from the other string), where are you headed? I spent a month in Rio with a side trip to Ouro Preto back in 1980. I'll never forget Rio... But the lengua is an issue with me. I've had like 6 semesters of spanish and can barely speak it, so Portuguese might be a problem for this clown's brain.

Does your wife have a sister? ....hey hey HEY!

pbrane said:
I think it would be ideal to do 6 months here (for me its central Wisconsin) and 6 months "there."  I'm not sure if I can swing it financially. The only way for me would be to have a project (like building or remodeling a house) in each or at least one location going every few years. Or maybe start a little resort or have a rental property etc. 

Hmmm... Real estate/Landlording  is very different there. On the bright side, 'Handyman' type labor is very cheap. On the not so bright side, things that we take for granted here (title insurance, mortgages, etc) either don't exist or are very uncommon there and tenancy laws are pretty strong. My FIL has some rental property and it seems to be a pain.
Since the exchage is still pretty good, what we'd like to do is buy (for cash) an apartment in a high rise. It would be safer to leave something like this unoccupied, since the building is secure. The fees and taxes are very cheap.

pbrane said:
Regarding Brasil (from the other string), where are you headed? I spent a month in Rio with a side trip to Ouro Preto back in 1980. I'll never forget Rio...  But the lengua is an issue with me. I've had like 6 semesters of spanish and can barely speak it, so Portuguese might be a problem for this clown's brain.

My In-laws are in Sao Paulo state - We'd probably head there (near the beach?). I guess I'm pretty lucky in that my gringo Portuguese came pretty easily, so I can make myself understood and understand, but it does take a lot of effort!

pbrane said:
Does your wife have a sister?   ....hey hey HEY!

She's got a brother - but he's got a girlfriend, sorry  :D

Since the exchage is still pretty good, what we'd like to do is buy (for cash) an apartment in a high rise. It would be safer to leave something like this unoccupied, since the building is secure. The fees and taxes are very cheap.

Thanks for the comments. I agree that in certain places I'd gravitate towards a condo becaue of the security issue. A few months ago I searched online for condos in the Floianopolis area and saw decent ones for under us$75k and with low fees and very low taxes. Why am I not there....?

-pb

Back
Top Bottom