Join Early Retirement Today

ER'd from something or to something?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ER'd from something or to something?

The recent "What do you do all day?" thread shows that many ER's seem to lead very unstructured, simple lives.* This causes me to question the popular chant that one should not retire "from something" (as in fleeing an unpleasant job), but "to something", as in pursuing strong outside interests...

Personally I have mixed motives, but I can't help wondering how many start out intending to immerse themselves in various interests but end up simply learning how to "be", a la Thoreau?
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: ER'd from something or to something?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_K
... I can't help wondering how many start out intending to immerse themselves in various interests but end up simply learning how to "be", a la Thoreau?
Good question, one that I am in the process of determining my own personal answer. So far (two months), just "being" is pretty darned nice.

REW
Old 07-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Good question, one that I am in the process of determining my own personal answer. So far (two months), just "being" is pretty darned nice.

REW
Here's my basic formula for the rest of my life. It has both structure and variety:

Blank, Snack, Nap. . . . repeat.

Some times I fill in the 'blank' with 'volunteer', sometimes with 'play,' sometimes with 'vacation,' and sometimes with 'bitc*.' It works for me, and I hope Martha acquires/follows the same structure soon.

--Greg

Old 07-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Greg/ a/k/a Apocalypse ... 's formula for retirement sounds good to me.

Yesterday (my birthday) I had breakfast with a close friend and former colleague who was aghast when I said "Two years from today and I'm gone."

"You're always busy, always lots of projects," he said.

My retort was: "And, I'd like to just do nothing for awhile and then ease back into things that only please me." I think Greg's structure is about right.

playaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_K
This causes me to question the popular chant that one should not retire "from something" (as in fleeing an unpleasant job), but "to something", as in pursuing strong outside interests...
I have the same question. Are we limited to defining ourselves by what we do (job, hobbies, etc)? I think most jobs are instrumentally valuable and most hobbies are intrinsically valuable. That is, we work to live and we live to have hobbies (travel, fishing, whatever). Some peoples hobbies are drinkin' beer on the back porch and watching the clouds drift by.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:47 PM   #6

One of the nicest parts of retirement is that you finally have the time to do things "right." When you're working and have a two-week vacation you often cram as much into that space as you can, somehow thinking that "Well, if we see the entire Southwest, it will be a better vacation." Too much planning and too little spontinaity (sp?) sometimes destroys the "being" part. Retirement allows you to paint the house just the way it should be done, not "I've got three days to finish this dang project" before I go back to work. That 'ease of time' constraint changes ones perspective toward everything--makes it more enjoyable and you more 'joyed.'

--Greg
Old 07-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #7

The beauty of FIRE is the freedom to do anything that I can afford to do, which includes what I consider nothing.
It's my choice. I just pick the time and place to do "it".
Over the last 7 years, I took my 3 week vacation in pay because I just didn't think it was worth going away for limited 1 or 2 week period. In my younger days before I became so called professional, I used to take off and travel leisurely for months. The simple enjoyment of wine, bread, cheese, and cucumbers is still etched in my memory.
I will be creating new travel memories shortly. Just more nothing to do.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

The only "thing" DH wanted to retire to was rummaging. And, trust me, he's pretty good at that.

He did mention today, though, that while he is in the middle of a project he suddenly is reminded of something he has wanted to do for years. So....he drops whatever he is doing and gets the other project done right then and there. He just loves the fact that he has the time to do this. And like Greg said he gets to do it right!
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

For me it was a little bit of both. My former boss's family were awful to work for so the choice to leave was the right one. So I didn't really have anything to retire to when I first ER'ed. But, I quickly found things to fill my days that make my days worthwhile. I am certainly a better wife and mother now that I have more time to give to my family. I am also finding more time to give to myself and I am really liking the new me. It was a win/win situation.

LL

LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL
For me it was a little bit of both. My former boss's family were awful to work for so the choice to leave was the right one.
I remember some of the anguish you went through in deciding to pull the plug. Glad to hear you look back on all that now and know you did the right thing.

REW
Old 07-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #11

I think Greg has the right idea. I never had a really bad employment
situation. This is mainly due to my personality, but that is another story.
I did not retire FROM anything but only TO something. Pretty much worked out as I planned so far.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, REW

BTW, the old employer must be hurtin' for certain. I've had some of my old patients call me up and want to know if I started up someplace else. They said it hasn't been the same since I left. The old boss has also lost 2 more audiologists since I left and has not been able to fill those positions as of yet.

LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL
Thanks, REW

BTW, the old employer must be hurtin' for certain.* I've had some of my old patients call me up and want to know if I started up someplace else.* They said it hasn't been the same since I left.* The old boss has also lost 2 more audiologists since I left and has not been able to fill those positions as of yet.

LL
I am pretty sure that some of my former employees are thinking
"it hasn't been the same since he left".

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL
BTW, the old employer must be hurtin' for certain.
Revenge may not be nice, but it sure is GOOD....

REW
Old 07-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #15

I find that I have the time to FINISH things now. I used to leave things half finished because I'd run out of time.

Now I have to retrain myself to complete things, so I can shorten my list of things to do. It's pretty long.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I find that I have the time to FINISH things now.* I used to leave things half finished because I'd run out of time.
. . . . or don't start things because you know you won't have enough time to finish them.

I don't hate my job, but I'm certainly going to be glad to see the last of it four weeks from today! I've got plenty of things to retire to.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_K
The recent "What do you do all day?" thread shows that many ER's seem to lead very unstructured, simple lives.* This causes me to question the popular chant that one should not retire "from something" (as in fleeing an unpleasant job), but "to something", as in pursuing strong outside interests...

Personally I have mixed motives, but I can't help wondering how many start out intending to immerse themselves in various interests but end up simply learning how to "be", a la Thoreau?
I ER'd to pursue an unstructured, simple life.

Actually ER eliminated the dissatisfiers (commute, boss, daycare, meetings, budget reviews) while adding plenty of satisfiers. *I'm there for the kid, I can surf until my arms won't move, I can take naps, I can work home improvement to the nth degree of detail, I can read & surf the Internet as much as I can handle, and I still get to help people. *

It's a tremendous advantage to be able to drop one project, dig into another as much as you want to, and go back to the first. *Life is much more non-linear and hugely more enjoyable...

Three years later I still get the occasional workplace call. It's flattering to be asked but it's also nice to be able to tell the caller where they should have looked for that info in the first place.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #18

Sounds wonderfull Nords!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:35 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords,

No surfing or funboarding in Hawai ?

Patrice
Old 07-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Nords,

If you are still getting phone calls from your previous employer asking for you for information you should be charging them unless you just like to talk to them. You have what they want, why should you give it away? Maybe you should consider doing a consulting contract with that that would state that they can call you for information help but you will charge them on an hourly basis.

Or you can just amuse yourself when they call knowing that some things never change....business runs on information and those that cannot manage it will lose.