ESR Job For TickTock?

TickTock

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I have been casually throwing ideas out for jobs for ESR. Interesting thoughts, but nothing that really grabbed me.

Until now.

I like to talk about personal finance, educate others. I'm sort of the go-to guy on this topic in my office (I work in industry, my job has no connection to financial services). But, I am interested in the idea of teaching personal finance - not in being a financial advisor and running other folks' money, however. I would lecture as a completely independent person, not accepting money from any company or service for promoting specific products. Money would come solely from selling seminar seats.

Does this kind of job exist? How would I go about preparing for it?

As a fallback, perhaps I could lecture for a fee-only group? [rul=https://bamweb.bamservices.com/buckingham/bios.aspx#swedroe]Larry Swedroe[/url] of Buckingham is their principal education guy.

Thoughts, information?

I'm sure community colleges offer personal finance courses.

But I think many of us had ideas about "fun" jobs until we realized that it was the slavery aspect of jobs we didn't like. Being paid for something means you're doing it on somebody else's schedule. It means you're doing it for people you don't necessarily like. It means you're not free.

Ugh. To get a group like that to take you on, you'd probably be stuck in "publish-or-perish hell" for an eternity and a half.

Back in Berkeley in the 1960's, we had what was known as the Free University. You could teach or take classes on anything for free (students paid nothing, there were no records, and teachers got no pay). I think it would be fun to do something such as you propose in that sort of venue and see how it went.

I like to talk about personal finance, educate others. I'm sort of the go-to guy on this topic in my office (I work in industry, my job has no connection to financial services). But, I am interested in the idea of teaching personal finance - not in being a financial advisor and running other folks' money, however. I would lecture as a completely independent person, not accepting money from any company or service for promoting specific products. Money would come solely from selling seminar seats.

How would you get people to come to your seminar for a fee? Most folks would want a background that shows you have had success helping others or have some enlightening info that they can't get elsewhere. Sounds like a admirable idea but tough to implement......

How would you get people to come to your seminar for a fee? Most folks would want a background that shows you have had success helping others or have some enlightening info that they can't get elsewhere. Sounds like a admirable idea but tough to implement......

Show them your posts on this forum...and your own success.:cool:

R

Show them your posts on this forum...and your own success.:cool:

R

Agreed, he could do that. Probably the most compelling story would be his own. I know it's a story I personally don't know about but would be interested in.

Maybe title it: "How I Retired Early Without Being a Fortune 500 CEO or Marrying Rich"

I think that's why ESRBob wrote a book about ESR'ing. He asked himself "how can I make money from something I know and love without being beholden to a bunch of losers?" But in writing that book, he took away the fun job we all wanted. :)

OTOH, some people might question the fee... if he was so successful at it, why does he need to charge a fee? I always question why sales trainers are able to charge the fees they do...seems the only thing they can sell is their courses...:D

OTOH, some people might question the fee... if he was so successful at it, why does he need to charge a fee? I always question why sales trainers are able to charge the fees they do...seems the only thing they can sell is their courses...:D

I've paid a fee to see Tony Robbins and Jack Welch, and that's about it........

I would pay to see Jack, but probably not Tony. I have heard some of his tapes and I think a lot of it is hype. With Jack, you are getting the real success story, not just sales, but management as well. As far as I know, Tony's success is in selling his seminars...but I might be wrong.

FinanceDude: how was the Tony's seminar, and did he sell something else that would prove he can sell more than his seminars?

Inside Edge in Irvine, CA

I've been a member of a breakfast organization in Irvine, CA called the 'Inside Edge'...they meet once a week and feature a speaker/lecturer/author who shares their ideas and quite often are looking for people to fill their workshops or seminars. Their website is www.insideedge.org and is a wonderful source of information on ...well...about anything 'interesting' or educational! They have an online source of past lecturers on video to watch.

A group such as this is always looking for new people and speakers.
You might try the local library...the Rotary Club or Kiwanis...ANY group that has lunch meetings usually has some kind of guest speaker, if you can make finances sound 'funny'....the better....like for instance...what happens when you don't take care of your finances...not funny...but a comedy of dark humor that most people can connect to from their own experiences....

FinanceDude: how was the Tony's seminar, and did he sell something else that would prove he can sell more than his seminars?

He is a charismatic speaker, but it was about selling his tapes and courses..........

Jack Welch had a warm folksy tone, it was like listening to your grandfather tell stories from the old days. He spoke for 90 minutes, and it seemed like 10 minutes.........

He is a charismatic speaker, but it was about selling his tapes and courses..........

Jack Welch had a warm folksy tone, it was like listening to your grandfather tell stories from the old days. He spoke for 90 minutes, and it seemed like 10 minutes.........

As I suspected.

R

There was a thread similar to this in Young Dreamers awhile back and see it often on some other financial boards...I have seen a few people put together some really good blogs...I second the idea from the previous poster...there are "money clubs" that you could do a talk at...Ultimately, there doesnt seem to be money unless you are selling something...

Our local community college has a four night program taught by a financial planner. The fee is something like $75. He ends the program with a free sit down with each student and prepares them a financial plan. Which of course includes a pitch for him to manage your money for a small fee. Nice guy though and he does a good job of explaining diversification, power of compounding, inflation, etc. He also has an estate planner talk one of the nights.

I have done talks at the local university and colleges about starting a small business. I get solicited to do the talk and no one wants to pay for it. Always did it anyway for grins.

A couple of years I taught a business law class at the university. It was for pay but I just can't remember how much. Obviously not enough to bowl me over with gratitude.

I understand that it's possible to get a free cruise by volunteering to lecture on your subject of expertise. I think it would be important to have some kind of track record first though.

Does this kind of job exist? How would I go about preparing for it?
TT
Look into Junior Achievement in your area. They are always looking for instructors for their programs. They have great programs for middle through high schools that are great opportunity to help the young understand what really goes on in the world of personal finance and budgets. I had a great time when the light went on with my class, there are tradeoffs you have to make when the Bank of Mom/Dad does not provide unlimited funds.
nwsteve

Someday I'll tell a story about the Charles Givens seminar my GF (now DW) hooked me into way back when.........
Now there's a name I have not heard in ages...I used to listen to him every weekend on the radio. Had a very positive influence on me and I think I got a book for xmas...it was pretty generic, though. Really disappointed when he turned out to be a crook. I'll be standing by to hear about that seminar.

Our local public school system offers adult education courses in the evenings with classes including creative writing, photography, carpentry, cooking, dance, computers and finances. There's a fee charged for attendance so I'm assuming the instructors receive some compensation.

DD may take this course next semester at Washington University in St. Louis:

PERSONAL FINANCE B52 343 FIN
Examines issues underlying decision making
regarding personal investments. Topics: present
value concepts, financial markets and instruments,
portfolio theory, bond and equity valuations, mutual
funds, mortgages, taxes, and personal financial
planning. BSBA students may take this course but it
will not count towards their degree requirements.
This course is not a substitute for Finance 340.
Prerequisite: junior standing and non-B.S.B.A.
degree students only. 3 units.
01 TuTh 10:00a-11:30a XXX Gordinier

Back
Top Bottom