Join Early Retirement Today

Extended Furnished Accomodation in Florida?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Extended Furnished Accomodation in Florida?

We are planning on spending about 6 months next year in the Jacksonville area to look around Florida. Why Jacksonville? Because that is where our Mail Forwarding Service is. Hense it is our current "official" US address. We travel out of the country a lot and we do not have another US residence. (Other than the odd hotel). We need to renew Driver's licenses etc.

I find it very difficult finding affordable FURNISHED locations to spend an extended period of time. I have checked the WEB and get numerous replies, but when I call them, the rates posted are for UNFURNISHED places, and furnished prices seem to start at $2000 per month for a 1 bed apartment. Apartments.com etc.

I did find an In Town Suites that goes for ~ $180 per week. That is a reasonable price. I am interested in more choices than just the one. There must be more, but I cannot find them. We would not mind even staying in a B&B type arrangement without the Breakfast, if someone would rent us their "Suite" or equivelent.

Where is the best place to find these types of abodes? Names and WEB address from experience would be great. We could even house sit for someone as we are very stable and reliable.

SWR
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Extended Furnished Accomodation in Florida?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Try calling a local chain hotel and ask them what rate they would be willing to offer you if you were going to stay for months at a time. Most hotel managers would love that kind of guest.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:00 PM   #3

SWR, I don't have an answer to your question. But why did you pick Florida? Don't they have a tax on total assets there? Wouldn't Texas, Washington, or Wyoming be a better choice?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:29 AM   #4

Have you considered housesitting? You may find some place at www.housecarers.com or at www.sabbaticalhomes.com
Old 10-22-2004, 06:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What is a tax on total assets? It is just my wife an I and we have no dependents, and Florida is warm.

SWR

Old 10-22-2004, 09:53 AM   #6

It's the intangible personal property tax.
.1% stocks, bonds, cash. So, a 1,5M portfolio would cost $1500 per year. Not such a big deal.

http://sun6.dms.state.fl.us/dor/forms/2004/dr300601.pdf
Old 10-22-2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's the intangible personal property tax.
.1% stocks, bonds, cash. So, a 1,5M portfolio would cost $1500 per year. Not such a big deal.

http://sun6.dms.state.fl.us/dor/forms/2004/dr300601.pdf

The Tax Rate appears to be 0.001% not 0.1%. Also as I am in CDs it appears to be exempt.

SWR
Old 10-22-2004, 10:32 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

ShokWaveRider,
Welcome to Jax. It is a beautiful place & close to the beach 8)

Before I bought a house I would use www.apartments.com

-Jay

Old 10-25-2004, 06:22 PM   #9

I had a good experience with the people at Ponte Vedra Club Realty - www.pvclubrealty.com 3 years ago when I first rented so that I can look for a permanent home in the Jacksonville area. This area is somewhat upscale but the beach area is terrific and it is convenient to all amenities. Also, try www.pontevedraflorida.com/rentals. I rented a furnished one bed room condo about 2 miles from the beach for $1000/month all utilities and cable paid for, 3 months commitment required. I found that atleast for me, living in a condo/home environment is more comfortable than a hotel or B&B place but to each his own.

You may have pick a somewhat challenging time to find accommodations in this area due to the Superbowl so if you want to hold off until early February, you may run across some bargains.

Also, as you have also noted, the intangible tax does not apply to cash banking accounts, CDs, Florida Munis or assets of non-residents.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks CJ. We will be looking next June so it may be OK.

SWR