Extreme Minimalist Retires at Age 40

Why not have a bed and a sofa? You can get those 2 things at an estate sale on the cheap. Outside of that, there are lot's of people who lead similar simple lives. Me.....I need a refrig full of med's and cable TV. ;)

It's not that he can't afford to buy a bed or a sofa. He doesn't want a bed or a sofa. As he explains in the video, he used to have these things but decided to let go of them.

But meds and cableTV would be hard to let go for me too.;)

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. I find myself saying "I wish I could" over and over.

(ps: don't need cable TV but would have a hard time giving up my super comfortable bed)

Even with his lifestyle he probably spends more for rent than my entire budget. I don't have a lot more than he has. I do have a bed but I probably will never buy another one. It's the only bed I ever bought and it's 13 years old. I have a futon that I got for $100 13 years ago and it's the only piece of living room furniture i've ever purchased. He may have more clothing than I have. I've never worn or owned a suit or sports jacket. If I had a better income($40K/yr+) I could easily retire before the age of 40.

Yea, that rent would be brutal, it is probably more than I have budgted for a pretty nice house equipped with a good set of solar panels, a decent amount of furniture, full set of appliances, a pet, a full set of gaming equipment, and some other things.

Where you live is probably the largest of all the controllable costs, and if you are retired, you are certainly not tied down to particular area. It not only effects housing costs, but also insurance, utilities, food costs, and most of all, taxes. The room might be almost empty but it might as well be filled the brim with the most expensive stuff he could find, the key isn't removing a few pieces of stuff, it is making smart lifestyle choices. There are other nice areas to live that would cost 1/5 as much, within the US.

Last edited:
Interesting video; thank you for the reference.

A few years ago when my wife and I were in Paris we met an interesting Frenchman who invited us to see his tiny flat. He lived much the same way as Peter, although not quite as extreme. I recall admiring him, although personally I would not wish to live that way.

I can easily do without television (and have done for years), but for me books are an essential part of my happiness.

P.S. For a related YouTube video, search "Liveaboard life: minimalism In a tiny home at sea".

P.P.S. to Aaron: don't sweat it my friend, it's not a competition.

Last edited:
Why is he paying extra for a living room he does not use?

A lot of wisdom there. Thoreau would be proud.

This man seems very happy and centered. He is not a hard sell to anyone else, merely trying to live the way that seems best to him.

I think he deserves our respect. He is definitely strong and fit!

Ha

Last edited:
He did say he is living a minimalist life, not a cheap life.

One of the the few who found a purpose in life, and is living it.

Looking out the window he appears to be down on the San Mateo Peninsula somewhere. Hi rent district, but lovely in every way. These things are rarely discounted.

Ha

I think that the concept of minimalism has been corrupted. Minimalism is not just about getting rid of junk and living cheaply. It's about prioritizing your life and only keeping the physical/emotional/spiritual elements that bring value to you. So if living in stunning but expensive northern California adds value to Peter's life, it is not incompatible with his minimalist lifestyle. He says "I consider myself extremely blessed to be living in this part of the world and enjoy the beauty nature has to offer". So his present location clearly brings a lot of value to him.

Last edited:
haha said:
This man seems very happy and centered. He is not a hard sell to anyone else, merely trying to live the way that seems best to him.

I think he deserves our respect.
+ 1. I didn't hear him state or imply that other people should be more like him, or that those who choose a more material path are lesser human beings.

Even with his lifestyle he probably spends more for rent than my entire budget. I don't have a lot more than he has. I do have a bed but I probably will never buy another one. It's the only bed I ever bought and it's 13 years old. I have a futon that I got for $100 13 years ago and it's the only piece of living room furniture i've ever purchased. He may have more clothing than I have. I've never worn or owned a suit or sports jacket. If I had a better income($40K/yr+) I could easily retire before the age of 40.

If you really need a sport jacket/blazer, grab one at Goodwill for $10, then have it dry-cleaned for another $10.

Awesome. I could not do it, but I admire what he's done.

Looks like a loser who's rationalized his "loser-ness". Good for him (I guess)....

racy said:
Looks like a loser who's rationalized his "loser-ness".
Let"s review:

He is living his life on his own terms. He is not burdened by the demands of a boring job. He has friends. He lives in a nice part of the world. He is in good health and has no apparent addictions or similar problems. He is financially independent and is not a burden on society.

Some loser!

As Ha says, tough crowd here ...

Back
Top Bottom