Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most Portland residents are disinclined to get into the business of others.. rarely will they try to recruit you to join their church for example. People develop friendships through common interests. If you are a member of a denomination visit their places of worship. I participate in a group called Golden Dragons (a dragon boat rowing club for folks 50 and older) where there are both recreational paddlers and racing paddlers, but members also get together for hiking and bike rides.

There are lots of activity focused clubs. If you are a serious Bridge player the Portland Bridge Club meets at the Maribella (a CCC in the south waterfront neighborhood near the base of the OHSU tram). There are several garden clubs in the metro area and a variety of walking groups Walking Meetups in Portland - Meetup

Basically, just get out of the house.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Some places there are Newcomers' Clubs (long ago, a commercial program called Welcome Wagon). Often in the south (we first found one--or they found us--in Baton Rouge) we found them in Houston, then Bellingham, WA.

DW makes connections by finding quilting groups and the like. I have often found quilters more interesting than engineers. Quilters' Christmas parties are always a lot more fun than my office Christmas parties ever were.

I have made friends by appearing regularly at Starbucks early in the morning and hanging around after everyone else has gone to w*rk. It takes a few months.

Interest groups are a great idea.

Brat, you are a Dragon Boater? Far out!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:55 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

There is a fantastic newcomers' club in my area. I think a lot of its success has to do with the popularity of the area for early retirees, who have the time and inclination to organize activities. When you spend time with people regularly over a period of months to years, engaging in activities that you enjoy, friendships spring up organically.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Well, let's just say I paddle. I don't think I am strong enough yet to join a racing crew but really want to participate in Victoria Dragon Boat Festival | next month.

Golden Dragons Dragon Boat Team-Portland Oregon To get a broader picture of the group take a look at the social calendar.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Check out Meetup - there is something there for everyone.
I've had great success with meetup groups. Not only have I met some really great people, I've gone on some excellent backpacking, hiking and kayak trips with them.

OP, I love your choice of cities.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #26
Administrator

How to find friends in a new area, in 3 easy steps for introverts

I have moved many times in my life, and have had to establish new friendships each time. Here's how to do it.

1. Regard the task of finding new friendships as a job you must accomplish. Devote a certain number of hours per week (maybe 10-15 hours/week?) to activities that are likely to result in new friendships, whether you feel like it or not. Then act friendly during these activities whether you feel like acting that way or not. You NEED friends, for practical purposes such as having someone to help you in a pinch. Believe me, you don't want to be totally alone in a strange city for very long - - BTDT and it isn't pretty. So, getting to know some people is more than just a fun thing to do; it's your JOB until you know some people.

2. Don't be too picky about those first friends. If you have a few friends, they will introduce you to more people and they will introduce you to more people and before you know it, you will have a bigger and ever-expanding circle of acquaintances/friends from which to choose. Usually all I require of those first friends is that they are not criminals and that they are not trying to take advantage of me. Remember that most people don't have room in their lives for another friend, so don't feel down if somebody cool doesn't seem to want to be your friend. Just keep working at your "job" and find somebody else.

3. If you can figure out a way to look for friends by engaging in hobbies and activities that you like, that works out best because at least you will have something to talk about. If you like to read, join a book club. If you like to hike, join a hiking group. And so on.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:16 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Sage advice, W2R.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote