Finding friends in a new area

Avocadorunner

Dryer sheet aficionado
37 months to go and DW and I are considering leaving Southern California for new adventures in distant lands. We are considering moving to either Austin, Boulder or Portland. We aren't considering living in a "community" and would love to hear the experiences of those who moved and successfully met and developed friendships in the new area. How did you do it?

You get out of the house and meet people. My husband does it through tennis, I go to language classes. It's a slower process than when you are younger, at least for us.

For me it was joining the volunteer fire dept, while also constructing the new firehouse, this really opened doors with the old timers. Hiked with the Thursday hiking group, went birding with the locals, and befriended a neighborhood cowboy that I chased arrowheads with. My neighbor introduced me to a bunch of folks when I bought him lunch and a few cold beers at the tavern.

37 months to go and DW and I are considering leaving Southern California for new adventures in distant lands. We are considering moving to either Austin, Boulder or Portland. We aren't considering living in a "community" and would love to hear the experiences of those who moved and successfully met and developed friendships in the new area. How did you do it?

As you pursue your "new adventures in distant lands", you will inevitably meet people with common interests. Some may become friends, and some may introduce you to others who become friends.

We moved here 4 years ago, knew absolutely no one, joined a country club, live close to it and hang out there a lot.

Helps having a golf cart.

Last edited:
Check out Meetup - there is something there for everyone.

I moved from Orange County (born and raised, spent the majority of my life there) to an area called Wildwood, east of St Louis. I have dachshunds that do go to ground and hunting competitions, so I met a lot of friends very quickly that way.
I think like others have said, when there is a common interest friendships are much easier to cultivate.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I moved from Orange County (born and raised, spent the majority of my life there) to an area called Wildwood, east of St Louis. I have dachshunds that do go to ground and hunting competitions, so I met a lot of friends very quickly that way.
I think like others have said, when there is a common interest friendships are much easier to cultivate.

Are you still thinking in California terms Irishgal where everything is east? If I am thinking of the same place in MO thats west of Stl. :) And yes that is a very nice area!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you still thinking in California terms Irishgal where everything is east? If I am thinking of the same place in MO thats west of Stl. :) And yes that is a very nice area!

Hahaha I'm busted! What an embarrassing error. But really- I get lost walking down my driveway.

Yes, west of STL.

OP another idea- are you interested in sports or things like walking or hiking?
I play ice hockey and found a team quickly here so that's another avenue.

Hahaha I'm busted! What an embarrassing error. But really- I get lost walking down my driveway.

Yes, west of STL.

OP another idea- are you interested in sports or things like walking or hiking?
I play ice hockey and found a team quickly here so that's another avenue.

I am just having some fun with you. But I am glad you have found out in MO there is no animosity from Californians invading us. :)

I am just having some fun with you. But I am glad you have found out in MO there is no animosity from Californians invading us. :)

I'm always up for fun lol.
No animosity, but I do get a lot of "why would you leave Orange County for Missouri", always from those who have not yet traveled to Southern California 😎

Wild Irish Rogue

I'm from Nashville, TN, and there are so many musicians and movie stars living there that they call it the Third Coast.

Justin Timberlake and new wife, Jessica Biel, are the newest to buy a huge plot of Tennessee land where The 3 Judds, Amy/Vince and many other famous people live incognito without paparazzi, etc.

We've found church to be the best place to meet other interesting people.

Volunteer? (animal shelter, habitat for humanity, environmental group, reading to kids in schools, local historic preservation society, local arts center, museum docent - you name it - there's something for everyone, and you'd meet like-minded people).

Join a hiking group, or a community chorus, or a community theater, or a birdwatching group, or a book club at the library? Join a church, if you're so inclined.

Take a class in (insert your area of interest here).

Get involved in local politics? (stock up on Tums!)

I think you will have culture shock no matter what you do. Try a long vacation first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I think you will have culture shock no matter what you do. Try a long vacation first.

+1
From moving to the East to Midwest 38 years ago, how true. We didn't like it here for the first 5 years. Finally moved 25 miles to a different state, felt like home.

In Boulder, there may be some animosity, but mostly from those who got here from California before you! :LOL:

Austin here:
Many Meetup groups

OLLI - Osher Lifelong Learning Institute - 5 groups who meet at the University of Texas campus for lectures, some social functions, local trips. DH was the chair of one of the groups this past year. Most people are 60+

UT Informal Classes - limited time classes in anything from Spanish to How to Build an App to Golf to Investing. They are pretty inexpensive

Get involved in your local neighborhood association or a splinter group (my neighborhood has 2)

Go to Auditorium Shores with your dog (off leash area by Lady Bird Lake)

Many runners groups, hiking groups, if that's your thing

If you are of liberal persuasion (we are a blue dot in a very red state) then we are the founding city for Liberal Ladies Who Lunch.

We came here 5 years ago when DH retired. I was w*rking full time 70 miles one way from home. I put him in charge of our social life. We could go out to dinner a couple of times a week if we wanted to with the number of people we know. The first year we had a New Years Day Open House and invited absolutely everyone we could think of. This went a long way in meeting others and it has become a yearly tradition. In the past few years we have had 60-80 people come through our house on New Years Day.

Last edited:
Most Portland residents are disinclined to get into the business of others.. rarely will they try to recruit you to join their church for example. People develop friendships through common interests. If you are a member of a denomination visit their places of worship. I participate in a group called Golden Dragons (a dragon boat rowing club for folks 50 and older) where there are both recreational paddlers and racing paddlers, but members also get together for hiking and bike rides.

There are lots of activity focused clubs. If you are a serious Bridge player the Portland Bridge Club meets at the Maribella (a CCC in the south waterfront neighborhood near the base of the OHSU tram). There are several garden clubs in the metro area and a variety of walking groups Walking Meetups in Portland - Meetup

Basically, just get out of the house.

Last edited:
Some places there are Newcomers' Clubs (long ago, a commercial program called Welcome Wagon). Often in the south (we first found one--or they found us--in Baton Rouge) we found them in Houston, then Bellingham, WA.

DW makes connections by finding quilting groups and the like. I have often found quilters more interesting than engineers. Quilters' Christmas parties are always a lot more fun than my office Christmas parties ever were.

I have made friends by appearing regularly at Starbucks early in the morning and hanging around after everyone else has gone to w*rk. It takes a few months.

Interest groups are a great idea.

Brat, you are a Dragon Boater? Far out!

Last edited:
There is a fantastic newcomers' club in my area. I think a lot of its success has to do with the popularity of the area for early retirees, who have the time and inclination to organize activities. When you spend time with people regularly over a period of months to years, engaging in activities that you enjoy, friendships spring up organically.

Check out Meetup - there is something there for everyone.

I've had great success with meetup groups. Not only have I met some really great people, I've gone on some excellent backpacking, hiking and kayak trips with them.

OP, I love your choice of cities.

Back
Top Bottom