FIRE at 55 or earn the extra $$$$$$

I gave the company 9 months so they could find a replacement. They assumed I would change my mind so waited 3 months before even talking to me about it. Then it took another 3 months to get the search going, they pissed away another 2 months trying to decide if they wanted one candidate (and lost her due to the delay) and then grabbed the next candidate when the BOD pushed them hard. My advice to you is to stick with your date, let them sweat a bit when they realize you are serious. You are in the catbird seat and don't need them. Enjoy the life you have earned, don't squander your future as the company has squandered the notice you have given.

I gave the company 9 months so they could find a replacement. They assumed I would change my mind so waited 3 months before even talking to me about it. Then it took another 3 months to get the search going, they pissed away another 2 months trying to decide if they wanted one candidate (and lost her due to the delay) and then grabbed the next candidate when the BOD pushed them hard. My advice to you is to stick with your date, let them sweat a bit when they realize you are serious. You are in the catbird seat and don't need them. Enjoy the life you have earned, don't squander your future as the company has squandered the notice you have given.

It sounds like you could have given them 1 month notice and it would have had the same result...

No question...I would leave. If you stay until early next year...whos to say they're not going to offer you another juicy offer to stay another year?

There is a reason the majority of people work...its to collect money. If you already have enough money to not have to worry about money...why work?

They asked me to delay retiring and negotiated with me. Delaying would result in over $250,000 increase into retirement assets if I keep working until Feb 2018.

After 30+ years of working hard being my family's sole provider it's very hard to walk away from that much money. We don't really need it though. I tell myself only nine more months, we could gift to the grandkids 529s, donate to our church building fund, start Roth IRAs for our kids, etc, etc.

My job is high stress, high pressure, often 6 days a week, well compensated at mid 6 figures. Quality of life is very poor. I work at a 7/24/365 business -for the past 30 years.

Also wanted quality time to rebuild my health and lose 40 pounds. No other health issues other than being too fat.

We have a frugal lifestyle, DW's favorite meal is still home cooked pinto beans, LOL.
No debt for over 20 years.
Retirement in May would be over $11,000 per month from a defined benefit pension, before taxes. Also will receive $1200/month health care purchase supplement. We have saved $2.5M in 401K & brokerage investments.

Thanks!
At least one other noted that you did not provide a "spending amount". You noted income in the mid-6 figures ... so assume $500k/yr. Savings $2.5M or 5 times yearly earnings. Your pension, $132k/yr makes a little dent in the $500k.

I look at a $132k/yr pension and I would think I've got it made based on my spending. I've saved quite a bit more than 5 times our income before FIRE, but have not pensions besides SS.

Looking at what you say you have and say you make, I'm wondering what your spend rate is. It is hard to estimate retirement possibilities without understanding your spending. I wonder where has all the money gone?

I know a doctor who wanted $250k/yr spending in retirement but just did not have enough saved to support that safely.
You don't really have to post all your numbers. You can run them using FireCalc, RIP or other good retirement planner.

How do "reasonable health projections" work against a car crash, or a plane crash, or dying on your jet ski on the first day of your retirement?

You. Never. Know.

And your spouse Never Knows either. It might not be you--it might be DH/DW.

(This is not a clarion call to ditch work no matter your financial situation--just a reminder that, if you are more than adequately funded, and are still waffling, to be a little careful about "reasonable projections" that you have another 20, 30, 40 years in front of you. Past performance is no indicator of future results.)
They don't. But I'm not placing bets in favor of outliers happening.

I think I know that you never know & thus plan accordingly; i.e., do base decisions on reasonable projections.

Holy cow - you get $11K a month in pension PLUS $1,200 toward HC and are even THINKING about not RE? Really?!! WHY?

Run for the hills. Seriously. If I had that kind of cash flow to count on, I'd be gone yesterday.

I'm really envious of all the people here that have pensions. Seems to be a surprisingly high percentage. Maybe that's because most people that can RE can do so BECAUSE they have pensions (neither wife or I do). I don't know a single person in my social circle with a pension, but then again I'm 53 and in high tech vs .GOV, teaching or other union gig.

You forgot to mention big insurance and non-union gigs...there are others out there. DW has one with multi-national insurance at age 52.

It sounds like you could have given them 1 month notice and it would have had the same result...

+1
That's why I went with 30 days notice, the required notice period per my employment contract.

Looking at what you say you have and say you make, I'm wondering what your spend rate is. It is hard to estimate retirement possibilities without understanding your spending. I wonder where has all the money gone?

Retired spend for living expenses, insurance, gifts, health care deductibles will be less than $80K/ yr. I've been tracking & projecting future spend rate for past couple of years. Farm expenses on " off years" another $5K to cover cash flow gaps.
Spend forecast is well within pension. Brokerage account will be for "extras" described below.

Money isn't issue for our lifestyle , we are blessed and live within forecasted pension income.

I just needed to hear perspectives on walking away from additional $300K. It will mostly be used on local charities, non profits, and grandkids. You all have been helpful with insights, thank you.

I do plan on spoiling my wife with some overseas travel depending on annual brokerage account returns. As much as $25K a year.
Over next ten years trips to Canada, Italy, South Africa, Holy Land, Czech Republic, Spain, England, France, Germany, Scandinavia, and also parts of USA we haven't seen such as Alaska and Hawaii. She has been a great wife & we plan to travel while still healthy. We have a lot of fun when we travel.

----

Bingybear, You ask, where did the money go, fair question:

High salary has been only in past 8 years, bonuses were inconsistent over the 8 years due to company missing some key business plan goals. Worked my way up the ladder from very bottom.

-saved 10 to 15 percent into 401K since 1988 . This was great advice from my dad.
-Another 5% annually in past ten years into a brokerage account.
-setback annually into deferred compensation, value is at $275K payable at retirement.
- had a modest home built, paid mortgage off in 15 years.
-Bought an 80 acre farm, 30 head of F1 beef cattle, used tractor & equipment including barn, fences, pens, etc. Have no debt on it.
- have a sideline higher risk investment of $150K that appreciated 40% in six years. It's value has plateaued so will start selling off post retirement.

- Home remodel was $60K for our 25th wedding anniversary gift to each other. Now have set aside cash for new roof, HVAC, both being installed this month. Intent of trying to avoid major expenses in retirement.
- wife loves to swim so we installed an inground pool, flagstone fire pit sitting area , and flagstone elevated terrace was $125K, cash payment. This was our big splurge we saved for our 30th anniversary 2 years ago.

Paid for kids 4 yr college educations & room and board at state college. Started gifting $20K annually to grandkids 529 plan.

10% giving annually to local charities & church tithes.
This will increase in retirement based on brokerage returns. My wife does enjoy our local small community charity work and wants to be generous supporting them.

I have two local non profits that I will be involved in. Additionally will be involved in our church's local effort to assist widows and single moms in need with free handyman type repairs. This could require up to $5K a year, I would cover materials along with my labor. There are four other retired men on this team. They have skills but not financial means.

Cars paid cash, no debt for 20 years. I drive a 12 year old ,very basic F150 truck. Wife has a Honda, she got 9 years out of her last vehicle.

Each kid got a modest used car as a HS graduation gift to start out. At college graduation each got a 2 week trip to Europe. They were very good kids, no trouble, and have worked at paying jobs since high school at 17 years old. They know the value of a dollar.

This Spring we paid $325K cash for youngest child's 2014 small house, we're getting monthly payback on principle and interest at IRS minimum interest rate.
It was a good value but pricey since it's within ten minutes commute of downtown in a major urban area. Wanted to keep the money "in the family" and avoid mortgage bank profit margin markup .
Other child & husband have a small home his family helped with.

Thanks again for your replies, I consider your feedback to be a gift.

Last edited:
The old saying "money can't buy happiness" can also be interpreted as "money can't buy health". High stress is going to be bad for your health. You have more than sufficient assets with the pension and savings. You just need to change your mental perspective, it is OK to be a little more selfish about your health. That means stick to June retirement, then focus on health improvements and spending quality time with wife and family.

LOL, I told them that on the way out the door!

Back
Top Bottom