First impressions just 5 days after ESR

Arrrrrgh!

Although I admit DH considers boxer shorts alone or with T-shirt as appropriate in-RV attire. However, IMO, he looks good that way!

But knock on the door, and I'm the one who has to run to answer it as DH ducks into the back room.

Audrey

I find that I'm still proudest to be able to say "I'm retired" when someone asks what I do. Don't think I've mentioned my old profession more than a dozen times since retiring almost 5 years ago. It's not that I wasn't proud of what I did, but that was then and this is now.

That is great!!

In my case, for some reason a lot (but certainly not all) of who I am is tied in with being an oceanographer. I spent so many years devoted to that field. Perhaps for similar reasons many/most of my fellow oceanographers choose to semi-retire rather than to fully retire, as I have done. Anyway, I have had no problems in saying "I'm a retired oceanographer" or "I was an oceanographer for many years, but I am now retired and enjoying it immensely!" without a twinge of guilt. That describes my career path perfectly.

Maybe it's easier for a woman to deal with the identity problems. On the other hand, nobody seems to assume that I had no career, as is the fear of some of our married female members so maybe I have it easy in that regard.

I want to see more "Retired Fella" fashion statements! Surely you fellas out there have some good pics of yourselves wearing your "I'm retired" uniform?
Sure, right here: Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Profile: Nords

I've worn out two rash guards since that photo but the longboard is the same.

I've thought of wearing a ball cap when I surf but I'd spend too much time swimming after it. SPF30 works best for now.

Otherwise the only headgear I wear is a big ol' straw lifeguard hat for yardwork. I'll wear that out in public, too, if I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the sun, but the vast majority of my UV exposure is surfing & yardwork (in that order). Everyone here knows the best shady spots on the beach, and only the visitors are baking on the sand.

In my case, for some reason a lot (but certainly not all) of who I am is tied in with being an oceanographer. I spent so many years devoted to that field. Perhaps for similar reasons many/most of my fellow oceanographers choose to semi-retire rather than to fully retire, as I have done. Anyway, I have had no problems in saying "I'm a retired oceanographer" or "I was an oceanographer for many years, but I am now retired and enjoying it immensely!" without a twinge of guilt. That describes my career path perfectly.
Maybe it's easier for a woman to deal with the identity problems. On the other hand, nobody seems to assume that I had no career, as is the fear of some of our married female members so maybe I have it easy in that regard.
Spouse's oceanography & meteorology training come in handy here but she's had no hesitation, let alone trouble, at laying them aside. I'll comment on the surf forecast or the weather and she'll say something like "I hope you can find someone to help you figure that out..." If I bring up a satellite photo, she grudgingly agrees to haul out of her recliner to come look at it.

In exchange I agree to operate & maintain any nuclear reactors that we need around the house...

could a rich person actually keep one of those micro nuclear reactors in their house as a conversation piece...or would this violate neighbourhood zoning regs or something?

I want to see more "Retired Fella" fashion statements! Surely you fellas out there have some good pics of yourselves wearing your "I'm retired" uniform?
Aha, an excuse for a twofer - my regular ER uniform and another shot of my new grandson:

Attachments

• Justin3w.jpg
    Justin3w.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 5
We were just there in early March. We saw Roseate Spoonbills - our first pink bird. We also saw a bird that swam underwater, what we think was a Cormorant. I saw a giant turtle of some sort but it was in a drainage ditch at an outlet mall. I noticed it as we drove by on the main road. It was gone by the time we turned around and looked for it. No gators anywhere. The gator section of Ding Darling was roped off, we have no idea why.

Mike D.

sorry for the way off topic comment, but for the bird watchers out there, check out Ding Darling Preserve, Sanibel Island, next time you are in Florida.

ding03.jpg

there is also Corkscrew, near Naples

Corkscrew-Swamp-Sanctuary1.jpg

and 6 mile slough, in South Fort Myers (which actually borders Paseo, my neighbourhood)

Locke%20art.gif

We were just there in early March. We saw Roseate Spoonbills - our first pink bird. We also saw a bird that swam underwater, what we think was a Cormorant.
I'm guessing you saw an anhinga - they really dive and fish for quite a while, have a narrow snake-like neck, and when swimming they sit quite low on the surface given somewhat porous wing feathers. Pretty common in this area.

May have been a cormorant, but they are a bit more ducky. Sometimes you get to see sizeable groups of wood storks out here - like I saw on the golf course this morning. Huge wingspan.

could a rich person actually keep one of those micro nuclear reactors in their house as a conversation piece...or would this violate neighbourhood zoning regs or something?
Gosh, doesn't say anything about it in our homeowner's association rulebook-- must be OK with them!

I guess we'd have to get some sort of license from that meddling Nuclear Regulatory Commission, but it'd probably be a lot cheaper (and faster) to just buy the uranium on the black market...

All right! Love the duds! - specially the waders.

Wait - that's not you in your retirement clothing:confused:?!!!!? I'm so disappointed.

Audrey

audrey you are just going to have to wait for the calendar...

Calendar? Hmmmmm.

Is it going to be anything like the "Men of the UPS" Calendar? I liked that one!

Audrey

All right! Love the duds! - specially the waders.

Wait - that's not you in your retirement clothing:confused:?!!!!? I'm so disappointed.

Audrey

I can't show my retirement duds. I'm not retired yet. 66 more work days. But I do have the same outfit, more or less.:D

I have seasonal employment. I won't know what it feels like until I see the school buses go by and I'm not there. It will be a 10 week delay.

Rich, interesting that you still feel the need to define yourself as an MD when asked what you do. Would this be different if you were fully ER'd?
I think that's pretty typical. My 88 year old father still finishes his signature with MD even though he retired at 60. MD comes with a lot of work & sacrifice, so I wouldn't begrudge them the recognition. My 2¢...

My preferred uniform......

img_925948_0_f27b712091c33c266db9760454bb70f0.jpg

Helping my 10 year old catch some waves at our secret spot (lol) in Costa Rica.........

We were just there in early March. We saw Roseate Spoonbills - our first pink bird. We also saw a bird that swam underwater, what we think was a Cormorant. I saw a giant turtle of some sort but it was in a drainage ditch at an outlet mall. I noticed it as we drove by on the main road. It was gone by the time we turned around and looked for it. No gators anywhere. The gator section of Ding Darling was roped off, we have no idea why.

Mike D.

We saw LOTS of gators on south Tamiami Trail in the drainage ditches

you can also see manatees at the Fort Myers electricity plant.

the spoonbills are indeed the stars of the show

Back
Top Bottom