First impressions just 5 days after ESR

Easter morning brunch party: "What kind of work do you do?" made me pause a second, then "I'm a doctor at Mount St. Elsewhere. [awkward pause] Actually I'm semi-retired as of last week."

I can see this will be something to give me pause as well. I plan to SR at the end of the month (plan is to work one day a week after that although it is somewhat up in the air). In my case, I am an attorney.

A couple of weeks ago I was at home on vacation all week getting things ready to move. We had some workmen in our house and it was obvious to me from some comments that they had the assumption that I was a, well, housewife (do they still use that term?). That bothered me since I've been a working outside the home wife since I got married and worked full time before marriage as well (didn't marry until late 30s). Maybe because I married "late" and was the only kid I knew during the 1960s whose mom worked outside the home I never got the idea of a non-working wife (I'm not against it so much as it just seemed a strange concept to me). So I hastened to make it clear that I was just on vacation and would normally be at work.

What bothers me about the early semi-retirement (I'm almost 56) is that many people are going to assume that I am a non-working wife rather than think that I'm retired. I fear that they won't ask me what I do (or did) and will simply assume that I never had a job and that does seem strange to me.

What bothers me about the early semi-retirement (I'm almost 56) is that many people are going to assume that I am a non-working wife rather than think that I'm retired. I fear that they won't ask me what I do (or did) and will simply assume that I never had a job and that does seem strange to me.
You'll get over all that and wake up one day to realize it doesn't matter anymore.

Well one way to not feel weird about this is to just keep working.

Addenda, following my first re-entry day (2 days a week):

Felt more like first day back from a short vacation because, in an effort not to bother me, my staff held on to almost everything. I think it's a training issue.

Flip: on. Flip: off. That's how I felt about almost instantly flipping into work mode mentally when I walked in the door and all day thereafter, equally dramatic "off" the moment I got into my car to return home. Not too bad, but noticeable.

Tomorrow ends my work week. I think I'm gonna like that 2-on, 5-off schedule.

Yup it happens. So much of my identity was lawyer that it can be odd not to have that identity out front. There still can be an assumption that a middle aged or older woman who isn't working has the role of wife and nothing much else. The competitor and feminist in me still bristles a bit at it, but not so much anymore. After all, middle aged men who aren't working can sometimes be stereotyped burn outs or otherwise as losers.

After all, middle aged men who aren't working can sometimes be stereotyped burn outs or otherwise as losers.

You say it like that's a bad thing !

Some ER's would love to be stereotyped as burnouts or losers.

It sure beats deep in debt wage slave.

There still can be an assumption that a middle aged or older woman who isn't working has the role of wife and nothing much else. The competitor and feminist in me still bristles a bit at it, but not so much anymore. After all, middle aged men who aren't working can sometimes be stereotyped burn outs or otherwise as losers.

Exactly. And I do realize that in some ways I may have it easier than a male my age would have and that the assumptions made about him would be more negative perhaps than those made me as a female. Unfair but there it is.

Yep - we sure love our nylon clothing. Very practical. Even in cold weather we just add Capilene-type polyester long underwear underneath. Works well.

Audrey

plus when you travel you can just wash them in the sink.
and throw them on a hanger in the bathroom before going to sleep
they're dry in the morning..

last few trips i've done (a few days) i just brought
1 change of that type of clothing (while wearing another one)
and it worked out pretty well (for one person anyways)

What surprised me as how many people really do not care what you did . They are interested in what you are doing now . What are your hobbies , your goals , do you play bridge , yoga , water aerobics ,travel,volunteer and what have you read or seen recently ? I have found a group of woman friends at the gym and we rarely discuss what our jobs were and when we occasionally do it is surprising what a diversified group we are .

If you find yourself in a room full of people asking the question "So, what do you do?" (e.g., "...for work?", not "... all day?"), then it could be a sign that you need to seek a new room full of other people.

No one at my taekwondo dojang cares what I do or "who I was". I wouldn't even know most of their last names until we started hanging out after tournaments or other social occasions. Same for the people I surf with and the places that I'd volunteer. Same for our kid's school & teachers, though I've heard mutterings sounding like "Oh, that explains it..."

Rich, interesting that you still feel the need to define yourself as an MD when asked what you do. Would this be different if you were fully ER'd?
Meadbh, I suspect I'll take that component of identity to my grave, and like you I am sure, one I am very proud of.
;).
My husband and I still occasionally explain our behavior or thought processes as being from "a couple of engineers". Because even if you don't practice the profession any longer, certain training just becomes inherent and sticks - as does the body of knowledge.
When it becomes necessary to answer that question, I'll identify myself as a retired Navy submariner. If I get disbelieving looks then I'll say U.S. Navy.

And I've only had to show my ID card once.

A couple of weeks ago I was at home on vacation all week getting things ready to move. We had some workmen in our house and it was obvious to me from some comments that they had the assumption that I was a, well, housewife (do they still use that term?). That bothered me since I've been a working outside the home wife since I got married and worked full time before marriage as well (didn't marry until late 30s). Maybe because I married "late" and was the only kid I knew during the 1960s whose mom worked outside the home I never got the idea of a non-working wife (I'm not against it so much as it just seemed a strange concept to me). So I hastened to make it clear that I was just on vacation and would normally be at work.

Yeah - us poor retired folks. We're no better than a housewife/husband or stay-at-home mom/dad! We don't get no respect! Everyone thinks we're just slackers!!

Of course, most of us get over feeling like low-lifes really quick and think nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah! when we see the poor working stiffs driving off to work first thing Monday morning!

>:D

Audrey

What surprised me as how many people really do not care what you did . They are interested in what you are doing now . What are your hobbies , your goals , do you play bridge , yoga , water aerobics ,travel,volunteer and what have you read or seen recently ? I have found a group of woman friends at the gym and we rarely discuss what our jobs were and when we occasionally do it is surprising what a diversified group we are .
Yep - that's the way it is for me now. What you did before or did professionally matters not one whit!

Audrey

When in the southwest this winter I found the nylony pants and shirts like John's (Mr. Audrey) outfit very convenient and good for all sorts of weather conditions. A couple of the shirts I have are vented with a nylon mesh which makes them very cool.

And of course I couldn't live without my Tilley hat.
Agree on the Tilleys. I wear a size 8 1/4 hat and they're the only ones I've ever found that fit; I have three of them.

Agree on the Tilleys. I wear a size 8 1/4 hat and they're the only ones I've ever found that fit; I have three of them.
It's funny why we bought Tilley hats.

Our old hats - we were out birdwatching as usual. Someone asks us - "are those Tilley hats?". We said - no. But decided we had better find out what theses "Tilley hats" were.

Of course, as soon as we did, we bought them!

Part of the birder's uniform, you know! Along with the expensive binocs.

Audrey

sorry for the way off topic comment, but for the bird watchers out there, check out Ding Darling Preserve, Sanibel Island, next time you are in Florida.

ding03.jpg

there is also Corkscrew, near Naples

Corkscrew-Swamp-Sanctuary1.jpg

and 6 mile slough, in South Fort Myers (which actually borders Paseo, my neighbourhood)

Locke%20art.gif

Oh - definitely been to those places! Great birding and great bird photography. These are also in the general vicinity of Fort Myers.

"The Rookery" in Venice Florida
small picture - but that is a Great Blue Heron on nest with chick
aher_2001FLAr50-007-17.jpg

White Ibis silhouettes at sunset, Gasparilla Sound FL
ealb_010218-00-069-34-FVL1.jpg

Burrowing Owl in Cape Coral FL
acun_010216-00-059-19-FVL1.jpg

Audrey

Those Men's Warehouse ads - those are such boring clothes!!

You retired fellas should aim for a look like this:

john-in-bug-hunting-dress225.jpg

Audrey

Or this:

John-Gierach-3.jpg

I call it fish watching. A little harder than bird watching as you have to coax them out of the water, though I put them right back.

Man, this is way off topic now.

By the way, that's not me. My beard is not that white and I am not that skinny.

Or this:

John-Gierach-3.jpg

I call it fish watching. A little harder than bird watching as you have to coax them out of the water, though I put them right back.

Man, this is way off topic now.

By the way, that's not me. My beard is not that white and I am not that skinny.
All right! Love the duds! - specially the waders.

Wait - that's not you in your retirement clothing:confused:?!!!!? I'm so disappointed.

Audrey

Congratulations Rich!
I work 3.5 days now and it is absolutely awesome :)

I find that I'm still proudest to be able to say "I'm retired" when someone asks what I do. Don't think I've mentioned my old profession more than a dozen times since retiring almost 5 years ago. It's not that I wasn't proud of what I did, but that was then and this is now.

It's funny why we bought Tilley hats.

Our old hats - we were out birdwatching as usual. Someone asks us - "are those Tilley hats?". We said - no. But decided we had better find out what theses "Tilley hats" were.

Of course, as soon as we did, we bought them!

Part of the birder's uniform, you know! Along with the expensive binocs.

Audrey

Oh, gee...now I'm looking at Tilley hats. Reading this board get expensive.:ROFLMAO:

I want to see more "Retired Fella" fashion statements! Surely you fellas out there have some good pics of yourselves wearing your "I'm retired" uniform?

Nords? TromboneAl? All you paddlers and bikers out there?

Let's help Rich out here with is new wardrobe!

Audrey

I want to see more "Retired Fella" fashion statements! Surely you fellas out there have some good pics of yourselves wearing your "I'm retired" uniform?

Nords? TromboneAl? All you paddlers and bikers out there?

Audrey

slob3.jpg

297234074_4ea7f6ef9e.jpg

P36178B.jpg

weird_ronald.jpg

Back
Top Bottom