Forecast is minus (-20) Below Zero. Cold enough?

"All the grass is brown. But the field is green..." Sounds like the lyrics of some song...

"All the grass is brown. But the field is green..." Sounds like the lyrics of some song...

Yea thanks, now I got the Mamas and Papas performing those lyrics to California Dreaming, stuck in my head.

MRG

Minus 33 out my back door here in central Ohio back in the mid 90's one winter. Car started, but you heard metal creaking you normally never heard when driving to work.

I was in the Cleveland area that winter. Nasty, nasty, nasty. The crappy old truck started, but all I did was slide around on the ice, so I parked it until the weather changed.

Yea thanks, now I got the Mamas and Papas performing those lyrics to California Dreaming, stuck in my head.

MRG

I'm almost certain they were refering to a different type of grass.

Wow, from Havre. Chinook here :) One time I had to google "Block Heater" to prove to one of the engineers here that it indeed can get cold enought to turn motor oil into toothpaste :)

Steel

At 0°C, water freezes.
At -10°C, nose hairs freeze.
At -20°C, exposed skin freezes.
At -30°C, non-exposed skin freezes.
at -40°C, mercury freezes. (Close enough.)

I have worked on the North Slope of Alaska and Ft McMurray, AB. Fort Mac was colder. Waiting for the bus at 5 AM at -35°C and -40°C, watching the Aurora...a great time. (How many have seen a red aurora?) Good thing the wind does not blow when it gets that cold up there. The average annual temp of Ft Mac is 0°C, by the way.

I liked it. I would go back after they throw me out of Baku. ('Mediterranean climate' they say.). DW says, she would join me this time.

The radio said it snowed at the airport last night.

100°C = 212°F
0°C = 32°F.
-40°C = -40°F. as noted above.
The rest is up to you. °C x 1.8 + 32 = °F
Isn't metric nicer?

-20 here this morning
1486891_359709470839248_1868318896_n.jpg

I've been finding that the cold is much worse here in california than I remember in Canada. Why is this? because I'll just put on a t-shirt pretty much without even considering the temperature. When it's -30 deg you can't take a half-assed approach to dressing.

I've been finding that the cold is much worse here in california than I remember in Canada. Why is this? because I'll just put on a t-shirt pretty much without even considering the temperature. When it's -30 deg you can't take a half-assed approach to dressing.

I think we just don't usually have the right clothes for the cold weather we sometimes have, especially these past few days.

Just this fall, I purchased some of those flannel-lined jeans from L.L. Bean, in hopes that walking the dogs will be a warmer experience this winter. I find that at about 50 degrees, I just get too cold.

With that said, we'll probably head down to SoCal for a few days at Christmas, where it's generally a bit warmer than it is here in Northern CA.

Canadians don't care about looking dorky and dress for the cold. And, as they say in Manitoba, "but it's a dry cold!"

I think we just don't usually have the right clothes for the cold weather we sometimes have, especially these past few days.

Just this fall, I purchased some of those flannel-lined jeans from L.L. Bean, in hopes that walking the dogs will be a warmer experience this winter. I find that at about 50 degrees, I just get too cold.

With that said, we'll probably head down to SoCal for a few days at Christmas, where it's generally a bit warmer than it is here in Northern CA.

Or just move here to Hawaii.....(just kidding...sort of)

Its a little weird to go out in 16F weather in the sunshine without a coat and feel like its pretty nice out.

It's currently 32º where we live in southeast Texas. Where we used to live in the Texas Hill Country, it's currently 27º.

In Fairbanks, Alaska? It's currently 28º. And I don't mean 28 BELOW.

This is a nasty cold wave for early December. 15 below zero tonight here in northern Michigan. Never got above 4 degrees above zero today. Had to postpone my usual early morning walk with the dog until mid-day today (and yesterday)..........just too cold in the morning to make it enjoyable. One more month until we depart for the Texas coast for 2 months, and it can't come soon enough..........

I lived and worked in Fairbanks Alaska when I was young. The coldest temperatures I experienced were between -55F and -60F. I enjoyed working outdoors in those temperatures, although I didn't actually get much done because nothing worked well. It was a different world but an adventure and that's what I was there for, as well as to earn money for college. Today when the temperatures reach 50 above I'm ready to head south but it's the lack of sunshine and daylight that bothers me most now.

Funny what you get used to. It was hovering at 1 degree above zero two days ago here in the Twin Cities and I decided to walk home, 2 miles, from a downtown lunch event. The sun was shining and I actually unbuttoned my coat at one point because it got so warm. The sun, as well as movement, makes all the difference. The North Dakota Dress Code Nodak posted above resonates strongly here, too. People wear shorts even freezing temperatures (guys mainly), rarely wear hats, and ride bicycles towing kids behind them. Although I keep the heat down pretty low I find myself opening windows occasionally just to cool the house down a bit. On the other hand, I am a "woman of a certain age" and finding my internal body temp running higher--a boon in this weather (I guess!)

Back
Top Bottom