Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Above is the football field at my high school in Havre, Montana. Notice how small the bleachers are. That is because most people use the tiered parking behind the bleachers to watch the game. That way they could sit in their heated car, listen to the game on the radio, and watch the action on the field.

I remember a power outage in the middle of a game. No problem. All the folks in the tiered lots turned on their lights and the game went on.

I thought it was normal for cheerleaders to do their cheers in sweats.

Games were frequently played in sub zero temperatures.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lead-acid batteries have a lower freezing point if they are fully charged; the acidity of the electrolyte goes down when the battery gets discharged. From the Web site of Trojan, a major battery maker:
The only way that a battery can freeze is if it is left in a state of partial or complete discharged. As the state of charge in a battery decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the freezing temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92.0oF. At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16.0oF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My memory says Essex Juntion Vermont, 1968.... -36F degrees. I was a district manager, on the road, and staying at the local motel. Did the right thing... took the battery out of the car so I could start it in the morning... Inside, on a mat, by the door...
Next morning... Battery was frozen solid.
Folowing day... Burlington VT... Howard Johnson Motel... 8AM... 60 cars in the parking lot... 3 started

Old 12-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Minus 33 out my back door here in central Ohio back in the mid 90's one winter. Car started, but you heard metal creaking you normally never heard when driving to work.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Above is the football field at my high school in Havre, Montana. Notice how small the bleachers are. That is because most people use the tiered parking behind the bleachers to watch the game. That way they could sit in their heated car, listen to the game on the radio, and watch the action on the field. I remember a power outage in the middle of a game. No problem. All the folks in the tiered lots turned on their lights and the game went on. I thought it was normal for cheerleaders to do their cheers in sweats. Games were frequently played in sub zero temperatures.

Thanks for sharing the story about the Havre, MT football field Kiem! The photo brought back good memories as we lived in Havre in the eighties when I was a young engineer for Montana Power Co. I recall a nasty Christmas in the mid eighties when the high temp for the day was still -38 below zero and the low was like -45 below. it was so cold we all left our cars or pickups running during midnight mass at St Jude's church with Father McCue. it was so dangerous to be out working in that weather that we always sent two linemen in two separate trucks to handle power outages in case one of the trucks were to quit running. trust me, you won't survive long if you are forced to walk home from the back country. I grew up in North Dakota and experiencing a cold snap where temps never got above zero for 20 days never bothered us as kids. However, that one winter in Havre, MT was truly the coldest winter I had experienced in my life because the wind always blew which drove the wind chills into crazy cold conditions. Loosing power or your heat source became a very serious problem for many in a very short period of time. I don't miss those days at all!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Above is the football field at my high school in Havre, Montana. Notice how small the bleachers are. That is because most people use the tiered parking behind the bleachers to watch the game. That way they could sit in their heated car, listen to the game on the radio, and watch the action on the field.

I remember a power outage in the middle of a game. No problem. All the folks in the tiered lots turned on their lights and the game went on.

That's pretty cool(no pun intended).
Old 12-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharles View Post
o how cold must it get to drive you south?
It does not take much for me. I am orig. from NY but never got use to the cold.
been south since 1979 and currently in Atlanta and any thing below about
44 is to much for me.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #47

Quote:

I noticed the surrounding grasses have all turned brown, but the field is green. Did they spray paint it? Also, makes me wince at the thought of kicking a football at below zero temps
Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I grew up in upstate NY (Adirondacks). We often had 10-30 below...it was all I knew and it really did not bother me - I remember laying on the ground below my first car with a lighter trying to warm up the starter so it would turn over
Now in NorCal anything below 50 is cold! Woke up this morning to 27 degrees...now that is flat out freezing!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #49

Sounds like we were in Havre at about the same time. 1984-90 for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcharles View Post
Thanks for sharing the story about the Havre, MT football field Kiem! The photo brought back good memories as we lived in Havre in the eighties when I was a young engineer for Montana Power Co. I recall a nasty Christmas in the mid eighties when the high temp for the day was still -38 below zero and the low was like -45 below. it was so cold we all left our cars or pickups running during midnight mass at St Jude's church with Father McCue. it was so dangerous to be out working in that weather that we always sent two linemen in two separate trucks to handle power outages in case one of the trucks were to quit running. trust me, you won't survive long if you are forced to walk home from the back country. I grew up in North Dakota and experiencing a cold snap where temps never got above zero for 20 days never bothered us as kids. However, that one winter in Havre, MT was truly the coldest winter I had experienced in my life because the wind always blew which drove the wind chills into crazy cold conditions. Loosing power or your heat source became a very serious problem for many in a very short period of time. I don't miss those days at all!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I noticed the surrounding grasses have all turned brown, but the field is green. Did they spray paint it? Also, makes me wince at the thought of kicking a football at below zero temps
In Havre the native grasses are brown much of the year.

No painting of grass necessary. They just played with a snowy field.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

"All the grass is brown. But the field is green..." Sounds like the lyrics of some song...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
"All the grass is brown. But the field is green..." Sounds like the lyrics of some song...
Yea thanks, now I got the Mamas and Papas performing those lyrics to California Dreaming, stuck in my head.

MRG
Old 12-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Yea thanks, now I got the Mamas and Papas performing those lyrics to California Dreaming, stuck in my head.

MRG
You could do worse.

Details withheld by request
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Minus 33 out my back door here in central Ohio back in the mid 90's one winter. Car started, but you heard metal creaking you normally never heard when driving to work.
I was in the Cleveland area that winter. Nasty, nasty, nasty. The crappy old truck started, but all I did was slide around on the ice, so I parked it until the weather changed.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

MRG
I'm almost certain they were refering to a different type of grass.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, from Havre. Chinook here One time I had to google "Block Heater" to prove to one of the engineers here that it indeed can get cold enought to turn motor oil into toothpaste

Steel
Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

At 0C, water freezes.
At -10C, nose hairs freeze.
At -20C, exposed skin freezes.
At -30C, non-exposed skin freezes.
at -40C, mercury freezes. (Close enough.)

I have worked on the North Slope of Alaska and Ft McMurray, AB. Fort Mac was colder. Waiting for the bus at 5 AM at -35C and -40C, watching the Aurora...a great time. (How many have seen a red aurora?) Good thing the wind does not blow when it gets that cold up there. The average annual temp of Ft Mac is 0C, by the way.

I liked it. I would go back after they throw me out of Baku. ('Mediterranean climate' they say.). DW says, she would join me this time.

The radio said it snowed at the airport last night.

100C = 212F
0C = 32F.
-40C = -40F. as noted above.
The rest is up to you. C x 1.8 + 32 = F
Isn't metric nicer?
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Any place this can happen is too damn cold:

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #59

This is the third day stuck inside. We've had about 8 inches of snow and the wind is howling. It's supposed to let up this evening and then get about 20 below fora couple of nights. I posted this video about 3 years ago and thought it might be of interest again.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Any place this can happen is too damn cold:

The video poster wrote that it was only 5 degrees F. Next time I am in that temperature, will try it myself.