Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup, that's why I movedů..

Winnipeg, Manitoba - 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

I have a nice set of mounted winter tires (silicone, I think) for a6-bolt Astro van. Only used one season. Anyone interested?

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Were "having a heat wave!!" here in Makakilo....86 and the air conditioner is cranked up!
Aloha!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #64
gone traveling

Old 12-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

-20 here this morning
Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #66

I've been finding that the cold is much worse here in california than I remember in Canada. Why is this? because I'll just put on a t-shirt pretty much without even considering the temperature. When it's -30 deg you can't take a half-assed approach to dressing.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I've been finding that the cold is much worse here in california than I remember in Canada. Why is this? because I'll just put on a t-shirt pretty much without even considering the temperature. When it's -30 deg you can't take a half-assed approach to dressing.
I think we just don't usually have the right clothes for the cold weather we sometimes have, especially these past few days.

Just this fall, I purchased some of those flannel-lined jeans from L.L. Bean, in hopes that walking the dogs will be a warmer experience this winter. I find that at about 50 degrees, I just get too cold.

With that said, we'll probably head down to SoCal for a few days at Christmas, where it's generally a bit warmer than it is here in Northern CA.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Canadians don't care about looking dorky and dress for the cold. And, as they say in Manitoba, "but it's a dry cold!"
Old 12-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I think we just don't usually have the right clothes for the cold weather we sometimes have, especially these past few days.

Just this fall, I purchased some of those flannel-lined jeans from L.L. Bean, in hopes that walking the dogs will be a warmer experience this winter. I find that at about 50 degrees, I just get too cold.

With that said, we'll probably head down to SoCal for a few days at Christmas, where it's generally a bit warmer than it is here in Northern CA.
Or just move here to Hawaii.....(just kidding...sort of)
Old 12-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Its a little weird to go out in 16F weather in the sunshine without a coat and feel like its pretty nice out.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post

Or just move here to Hawaii.....(just kidding...sort of)
Oh, it's on my mind, believe me! ;-)
Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #72

It's currently 32║ where we live in southeast Texas. Where we used to live in the Texas Hill Country, it's currently 27║.

In Fairbanks, Alaska? It's currently 28║. And I don't mean 28 BELOW.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #73

This is a nasty cold wave for early December. 15 below zero tonight here in northern Michigan. Never got above 4 degrees above zero today. Had to postpone my usual early morning walk with the dog until mid-day today (and yesterday)..........just too cold in the morning to make it enjoyable. One more month until we depart for the Texas coast for 2 months, and it can't come soon enough..........
Old 12-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I lived and worked in Fairbanks Alaska when I was young. The coldest temperatures I experienced were between -55F and -60F. I enjoyed working outdoors in those temperatures, although I didn't actually get much done because nothing worked well. It was a different world but an adventure and that's what I was there for, as well as to earn money for college. Today when the temperatures reach 50 above I'm ready to head south but it's the lack of sunshine and daylight that bothers me most now.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #75

Funny what you get used to. It was hovering at 1 degree above zero two days ago here in the Twin Cities and I decided to walk home, 2 miles, from a downtown lunch event. The sun was shining and I actually unbuttoned my coat at one point because it got so warm. The sun, as well as movement, makes all the difference. The North Dakota Dress Code Nodak posted above resonates strongly here, too. People wear shorts even freezing temperatures (guys mainly), rarely wear hats, and ride bicycles towing kids behind them. Although I keep the heat down pretty low I find myself opening windows occasionally just to cool the house down a bit. On the other hand, I am a "woman of a certain age" and finding my internal body temp running higher--a boon in this weather (I guess!)
Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post
I lived and worked in Fairbanks Alaska when I was young. The coldest temperatures I experienced were between -55F and -60F. I enjoyed working outdoors in those temperatures, although I didn't actually get much done because nothing worked well. It was a different world but an adventure and that's what I was there for, as well as to earn money for college. Today when the temperatures reach 50 above I'm ready to head south but it's the lack of sunshine and daylight that bothers me most now.
It was the same with me, too. I was up there almost 3 years. Ahhh...to be young again with adventure waiting. I even used to backpack in the warmer -20 degrees for a few days at a time. Having the right equipment and frame of mind alters your world.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lived 50 of my years in MN but the coldest I have ever been was at a high school football game in Austin, TX. It was about 40 with no wind but a damp cold that penetrated any amount of clothes. I bought some hot chocolate and was shaking so bad I spilled 2/3 of it just trying to hold the cup. And this was someone who grew up playing hockey on outdoor rinks and ice fishing on the river with no form of shelter. Over 60 now I have become a weather wimp and avoid the outdoors in winter.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #78

It really is what you adapt to. The first 40 degree day in the spring here you will see people with no jackets and driving around with the car windows open. Even in the coldest weather I will open the windows in my home for several hours on a sunny day just to get fresh air in. When I was still working we had to explain to new persons assigned to Cavalier AFS that they had to avoid using the parka they were given on arrival until it got truly cold. If they started wearing it in September they would not adapt and would feel the cold all winter.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in central Oregon, where I hope to retire, during Thanksgiving. One of my concerns is that I won't be able to handle the winters but I do have lots of relatives in NM and TX that I can "visit" during the winter months. It was about 10 degrees colder there but was in or near the 40's by 10 am so I'm thinking that this is not too bad. The daylight hours are also not as long but less than an hour shorter than down south. Also there was never much of a wind. Then I get back to NM and now it's in the negative digits in Oregon.

It's fun on Facebook to see all my Texan friends and family bitterly complaining about the weather being in the 20's (although the roads are supposed to be as icey as ice skating rinks). Then the Oregonians post.

The coldest that I felt in Oregon during my trip was in Portland. It was only in the upper 30's or so but it felt very damp and that wet cold really chilled me.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

-18 this morning in Idaho, -28 with windchill. Retiring in Jan, hope to spend time in a more southern latitude next winter.