Forecast is minus (-20) Below Zero. Cold enough?

Here's our week end forecast

Today A slight chance of rain and sleet between 1pm and 2pm, then a slight chance of rain after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. Breezy, with a southwest wind 16 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
  • Tonight Snow with widespread blowing snow before 10pm, then widespread blowing snow and a chance of snow between 10pm and midnight, then widespread blowing snow after midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -1. Wind chill values as low as -20. Windy, with a northwest wind 25 to 33 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
  • Saturday Areas of blowing snow before 8am, then Patchy blowing snow between 11am and 5pm. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 2. Wind chill values as low as -25. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph.
  • Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -18. Wind chill values as low as -40. Northwest wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.
  • Sunday Patchy blowing snow after 11am. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -15. Blustery, with a northwest wind 14 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph.
  • Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -23. Blustery.
  • Monday Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -12. Blustery.

Last edited:
The forecast for monday is so cold that the governor of MN. has closed all public k-12 schools. the last time this was done was 1998.

Lucky me, I've been summoned for jury duty on Tuesday when it's supposed to be about 20 below. I sincerely hope they settle out of court.

Lucky me, I've been summoned for jury duty on Tuesday when it's supposed to be about 20 below. I sincerely hope they settle out of court.
Just put them both out on the courthouse steps and tell them they can't come back in until the case is settled.

Saw the forecast for Sunday night with 30 mph wind gusts and a low of -19 yielding a wind chill of -44. I'm starting to get cabin fever.

Just looked at the forecast for the weekend. I think I will remain indoors for a couple of days.

• Today Patchy blowing snow between noon and 2pm. Partly sunny and cold, with a temperature falling to around -7 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -30. Northwest wind 14 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
  • Tonight Increasing clouds, with a low around -21. Wind chill values as low as -40. Northwest wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.
  • Sunday Patchy blowing snow after 9am. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -15. Wind chill values as low as -50. Blustery, with a northwest wind 16 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph.
  • Sunday Night Patchy blowing snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -25. Wind chill values as low as -55. Blustery, with a northwest wind 17 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
  • Monday Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -11. Northwest wind 14 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
  • Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -17.
  • Tuesday Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 2.
  • Tuesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -9.
  • Wednesday Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 9.
  • Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 0.
  • Thursday Partly sunny, with a high near 21.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 11.

Saw the forecast for Sunday night with 30 mph wind gusts and a low of -19 yielding a wind chill of -44. I'm starting to get cabin fever.

I am staying indoors for the next four days. I had a dr appt scheduled at 7 am Monday when it will be below -9, the forecast high, and I cancelled it early this morning. Turning into a real scaredy cat when it comes to this weather.

1517419_608171649229870_535413603_n.jpg

Nodak,

That's a good one! :LOL:

Gonna only get down to a balmy -16 by me Sunday night.

Will Al Gores' presentation on Global Warming be cancelled along with all the school closures in the whole state of Minnesota? Ha!Just remember, don't stick your tongue on the flag pole!

-PAXP-deijE.gif
650x366_01041656_rf-150x150.jpg

Wind chill for Sunday night. My home town is in the middle of the -70 bullseye.

Last edited:
This cold front of yours is even hitting us on Tuesday with what is locally called a "Norte."

"Cloudy and windy. High 72F. Winds NNE at 25 to 35 mph."

The cool winds out of the north bring our normally balmy temps down and the whitecaps put a halt to all water activities. Still, not a bad alternative to what you guys are dealing with.

Thanks for the reality check Nodak! I am celebrating our FIRE and 40th wedding Anniversary with DW by taking her to the Grand Cayman Islands in just 9 days for a 15 day vacation from this deep freeze! Looking at the wind chill map with -70 below windchills, that is like one hundred fifty five degrees (-155) colder than the highs on the Island at 85 degrees! yet, I spend a short time on my 5th day of FIRE ice fishing in my backyard.......didn't catch anything and didn't stay out too long..........my fur lines parka hood was frosted up to the point it was difficult to see and baiting the hooks was painful! I am so looking forward to swimming with sting rays and snorkeling!

When I was still working I used to judge how cold it was by how much frost was on my beard and moustache by the end of the 400 foot walk from the parking lot to the PAR building.

Will Al Gores' presentation on Global Warming be cancelled along with all the school closures in the whole state of Minnesota? Ha!Just remember, don't stick your tongue on the flag pole!

Funny, I've visited with relatives in eastern North Dakota (Jamestown area) who are convinced that climate change is evident in their part of the state, mainly in an elevated ground water table. A lot of rural roads that were used for generations have become impassable because of rising slough (lake) levels. And then there's Devil's Lake, which has a big flooding problem. My cousins, men in their 50s, are lifelong farmers, so they take note of such things.

From a University of North Dakota/U of Arkansas study on flooding in the Red River Valley:
"In the Red River Valley, average annual ground-surface temperature has increased 2.5 °C and the average annual air temperature has increased 2 °C during the past century (Gosnold et al., 1997). Precipitation dropped from 1890 until the mid-1930s and has been rising since 1950 (Groisman and Easterling, 1994). The effects of changing climate can be seen in the flood record since 1882 which suggest close coupling of flood dynamics and climate parameters (especially precipitation). For example, within the historical record, it is apparent that between 1882 and 1950, a severe flood (gage level >12.2 m) occurred approximately once every 6 years at Grand Forks-East Grand Forks. This corresponds to the interval of generally diminishing precipitation from 1890 until the mid-1930’s (Groisman and Easterling, 1994). Since 1950, however, Grand Forks has experienced a severe flood once every 3 years with an increasing trend toward greater frequency of large-scale flooding (Bluemle, 1997)."

Folks, bear in mind that weather is what happened last week. Climate is what happened last century.

Last time I checked, winter comes every year. People who are surprised by this really do need to get out more.

Will Al Gores' presentation on Global Warming be cancelled along with all the school closures in the whole state of Minnesota?

As cold as it is in parts of North America right now, they have had record warmth across the globe in Russia, Scandanavia, and nearby areas since at least November.

Funny, I've visited with relatives in eastern North Dakota (Jamestown area) who are convinced that climate change is evident in their part of the state."

I have no interest in starting an argument about climate change, but here in northern Michigan, there is no doubt that the climate has been changing (warming) for at least the last 2-3 decades, and probably longer. All you have to do to verify that is look at the average dates for first ice on the lakes and ice-off the lakes in the spring, to see that winters have been getting shorter and milder over that time period. Sure, we have an occasional really cold winter (like this one so far), but if you look at the overall trend, it has clearly been toward shorter and milder winters. As someone else said, don't confuse weather with climate.....they are different animals.

As cold as it is in parts of North America right now, they have had record warmth across the globe in Russia, Scandinavia, and nearby areas since at least November.

I blame the Winter Olympics. Vancouver four years ago, warm temps; Sochi this year, warm temps.

I think many people (okay, maybe just me) call out global warming just as a little cliche/joke whenever the weather is colder than normal, and are not seriously thinking events like the -20 real temp (never mind the wind chill) expected here tomorrow morning means that much. But damn that is going to be cold.

Back
Top Bottom