Former employer won't let me go!

Congratulations on your retirement. I hope you hear some stories about your boss missing you. I had something similar when the boss thought he could call me for free. Then he decided that he could figure it out himself. Was your boss named "Mike"?

Enjoy being FIRE'd.

Going back as a consultant would defeat the purpose of retiring, especially since I don't need their money and I hated it there! I just thought it was kind of funny and annoying how they assumed I'd want to keep working for them after I specifically quit, since I wasn't "doing anything else anyway."

I'm also going with UNBELIEVABLE. Get out - stay out!

I've thought about this scenario for myself (because I don't totallly hate it but I do hate working). I decided that I'd offer them a consulting possibility (IF they wanted it, IF I wanted it). I'd also name a price. Where I am, in IT, the vendor consultants seem to bill at $100-$200 an hour. Possibly I can be bought :ROFLMAO: for enough money.

I seriously doubt they would go for it though. I'm still trying to decide if I would give them much notice or just run for the car (figuratively speaking).

Congrats: I just did this, signed about the same kind of contract except I don't need to be an LLC to protect myself. I have worked a total of 5 days in the past two weeks. Found it rather enjoyable after a year off. What was nice is just did technical work,did not have to deal with customers,production,suppliers,people problems,meetings and of course the GLOBAL MATRIX.
The downside is getting up earlier than normal, and shaving.
Besides that my wife told me to get up off of my butt.
Old Mike

Were I in your shoes, I'd privately email or speak with one or two friendly coworkers on the team/in the division and let them know if they ever want to send you a quick email or phone call, up to 30 minutes is free. More than that will cost them a beer, and anything over an hour will cost them a lunch or dinner.
I wouldn't bother: way too much hassle.

Retired = no longer available. If the team has any future difficulties, they can either figure things out for themselves, or management will have to hire a new employee who can. :whistle:

We don't have all of the info here. But I suspect that there is more to this story than an overbearing boss and poor planning.

Reading between the lines I get that the OP sold his small software company to MegaCorp, agreed to work there for some time thereafter. Completed any contractual obligations for such. Has issues with cultural differences between Megacorp and running his own small independent company. Evidently the OP did well selling off the company and needn't work anymore.

The OP may have unique experience keeping "the product" up and running and is therefore a very valuable asset.

Could be. But how would that change the situation?

When I got to the point where my personal time and energy was way more valuable to me than money, I knew that it was time to quit working. I had enough money. Now I wanted all my time for myself (and my family/friends/priorities).

It's interesting - this seems one of the things people who wonder why we don't turn our hobby into a business have a hard time understanding as they observe that what we produce might be commercially viable. Sure - folks might buy it, but we're simply not willing to devote the time and effort required to actually operate the business side of it. We do it because it's fun, and we only want to do the fun parts! It's fine, of course, if someone does make that choice - each to his own. But that's why we don't automatically try to make our hobby a "profit center".

Audrey

When I got to the point where my personal time and energy was way more valuable to me than money, I knew that it was time to quit working. I had enough money. Now I wanted all my time for myself (and my family/friends/priorities).

The personal time and energy thing really strikes a chord with me. Also, as I've gotten older and had some illness hit me, I feel like going back to work has kept me from being healthy, kept me from recovering completely. I want to spend my remaining years doing things that really matter to me, and not just making money.

I'm not going to have tons of money in retirement but I should be comfortable. The personal time really means more to me than the money.

An inspirational poster for your former boss:

Attachments

• mistakes.jpg
    mistakes.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 228
Here is the despair.com poster my boss let me hang up in the kitchen! Not one you have to worry about any more, OP! :D:D

Attachments

• gettowork03.jpg
    gettowork03.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1
I had this one in my cubicle for years. I don't think my boss ever even read it. :D

Attachments

• leaders03.jpg
    leaders03.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 10
I had this one in my cubicle for years. I don't think my boss ever even read it. :D

I think we may get some despair posters to put up here. My guess is management would look at the big word, fail to read the caption, then give an attaboy pat on the shoulder for being a team player.

This thread is depressing to me. Before one retires and still need to work, they should have a job that they enjoy. I think that after the retire day, one should still be friends with colleagues and bosses. It's pity that folks appear to hate their jobs and colleagues.

All I see in this thread is a lack of negotiating skills on all sides.

Kabekew - congratulations on your retirement. Sorry to read that the parting was so painful.

Congratulations on retiring. Given the date of your first posting and your recent follow-up posting, you have already made your decision. Wise move to divorce yourself from a real leach of a boss. And, would your coworkers REALLY have been upset -- especially after you made the effort that last year to get them up to speed ? And you made the info available to everyone -- except maybe an incompetent boss who wouldn't know how to find the file.

DEFINITELY wouldn't feel any guilt or concern -- unless you planned to use them as a future reference. Funny thing about retirement, sometimes it doesn't last (money issues, boredom, need for accomplishment, social atmosphere, etc.) -- but make your "retired job" according to your OWN terms. Be careful about signing anything with a non-compete clause. And if you DO get into consulting, price yourself at a minimum of twice your previous hourly rate -- DECENT companies are usually willing to pay a premium rate for short-term assitance by an established expert (which you are with your EXPERIENCE), and they don't have all of the financial commitment (benefits, EEO, etc.) as with a salaried employee.

Venting is good -- you can usually get a different perspective and advice that you hadn't considered.

Venting is good -- you can usually get a different perspective and advice that you hadn't considered.
Yea, there's really a lot of good advice above! Thanks, everyone.

So, since my last post, their contracts person hasn't been back in touch, so I assume they've decided to drop it. Then yesterday, the main sales guy gave me a call and just wanted to say congratulations for getting out and doing your own thing, and I probed to see if everything was going okay, and it seems yea, everybody's doing fine. I guess life goes on without me.

God, I love this. For the first time I actually went through the grocery store on Sunday, just cruising the aisles calmly to see what was there and get whatever I might want to try. Before, I always had to rush from spot to spot to get my basic things, because grocery shopping was a waste of my precious weekend free time. No more! :LOL:

Sunday? Try a weekday morning. You won't believe the difference. :)

I went last Thursday morning at 8:30 AM, and it was really different! There were scarcely any other shoppers.

It was a little annoying that two retirees who were talking managed to completely block one aisle that was otherwise empty. And then the employees were busy restocking, and a little bit in the way. But otherwise, a nearly perfect experience.

(And get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers!! :rant:) :2funny: :ROFLMAO:

Yea, there's really a lot of good advice above! Thanks, everyone.

So, since my last post, their contracts person hasn't been back in touch, so I assume they've decided to drop it. Then yesterday, the main sales guy gave me a call and just wanted to say congratulations for getting out and doing your own thing, and I probed to see if everything was going okay, and it seems yea, everybody's doing fine. I guess life goes on without me.

God, I love this. For the first time I actually went through the grocery store on Sunday, just cruising the aisles calmly to see what was there and get whatever I might want to try. Before, I always had to rush from spot to spot to get my basic things, because grocery shopping was a waste of my precious weekend free time. No more! :LOL:
Well - that's great that someone higher up (in the know) called you just to say congrats and he could tell you things were going fine. Just like you probably already knew they would since you were so thorough in turning over your responsibilities. Glad you are enjoying your retired life so far. Even after 10 years it's still sweet for us! Me too - love that no rushing thing! I often say - "it's OK, I'm not in a hurry" when dealing with the public.

I must say - I really enjoyed your exit story as unpleasant as it must of been for you (not much worse at work than a bullying boss)! This was a wild one, and I'm so glad you posted it.

Audrey

Boy that's a scene right out of the movie "About Scmidt"

my favorite part about this movie is the thing where he has been working on a special marketing research thing or something, for many many years, and he carefully hands this off to his successor, which is housed in several boxes.

then as he is leaving the building for the last time, he turns to look down the alleyway and he sees all of his boxes of documents for the special project being thrown in the dumpster.

Having said that, I have to imagine the environment must have been at least somewhat toxic if the boss has this kind of arrogant, control-freak attitude even with the people they can no longer control. I would think that even if someone had a little bit of inclination to consider consulting in the future, that attitude would certainly make me a LOT less likely to want to set foot in that place again. .

Warren Buffet said his favorite part of being rich is getting to decide who he spends his day with and being able to avoid people who make your stomach tighten up.

One of the pieces of the puzzle is realizing money is not about conspicuous consumption, but is rather about freedom, and ironically, is a spiritual kind of thing.

Live free or die. ; - )

This thread is depressing to me. Before one retires and still need to work, they should have a job that they enjoy. I think that after the retire day, one should still be friends with colleagues and bosses. It's pity that folks appear to hate their jobs and colleagues.

ideally.

for many who are early foolish and late wise, you get on a track and it may become impossible to switch companies or careers.

for the young guns I get a chance to corrupt, I repeat something I heard at a course once from a very high ranking individual who rode in on a motorcycle (kind of a House type)...find your crowd.

while I am on this topic...here are some of my rules, based on my experience of clawing to the middle

- in the early career, work hard to find a corporate culture that you have a natural fit in, otherwise you will spend too much energy trying to be something your not, you will become something you don't want to be, or you will not adapt and be labelled unpromotable. The latter becomes a stressor when you then have to submit to less experienced younger bosses of the dominant culture. Better to find the appropriate level in the heirarchy according to your talent and experience (age), in a culture that you have a natural fit in.
- make an effort to identify the gifted managers (in all respects) in your organization and attach yourself to them, follow them to other organizations. Accept that work is not about the work, that in reality, the boss is 95% of the job.
- although there are exceptions, as a general rule, seek out slightly older managers than yourelf that are as close to your cultural profile as possible to minimize cultural translation issues - so that communication and shared perspective is effortless. Create your own old boy, old girl network.
- when bosses rotate and abusive or untalented bosses are moved over you, do your best to make them think you respect them, and try to move out as quickly as possible to minimize the damage to your psyche. This is especially true for married men working for abusive women bosses. I suspect that many divorces come from men being abused by women bosses at the office, and this resentment/hatred transfers to women generally, and the wife specifically, and men just don't have the primal hardwiring to cope with this. Women should not put up with abusive male bosses, however, my observation is that women are built tougher in this respect.
- many attractive jobs are vacant and available to outsiders because the insiders know the boss is high maintenance and won't transfer over. Most high maintenance bosses can be identified with merely an hour over lunch, and much pain can be avoided with this simple technique.

Unfortunately, many people have stressful and/or tedious jobs, incompetent and/or obnoxious bosses, and idiotic andor lazy co-workers. That is certainly undesirable, but it is reality. It is not surprising that such people are keen on early retirement, or that they have no great desire to maintain contact post-retirement.

All I see is a person who was ready and able to stop working and a boss who was determined to make him continue, on disadvantageous terms.

Give that the o/p was determined to quit and had no interest in any form of consultancy, there was really nothing to negotiate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom