Fountain of Youth

mb said:
Audrey, the article implies that you can use any type of excersie.  Running, swimming, biking, etc.  I think that it is the intensity the counts.  Also I (don't know but) suspect that it has to be something that uses large muscle groups.  Thirty seconds of curls for example will give help your biceps but I doubt that it would activate the effect that the article describes whereas I suspect that 30 seconds of squats would do it.
That's what I'm thinking. I know these combination weight exercises - holding dumbells - lunge step back, hammer curl, shoulder press, step back up, repeat alternating legs.

Also - lunge holding dumbells - then lift knee high, then back into lunge.

I get pretty winded doing these kinds of things! My knees seem to be able to take it.

I strength trained twice a week with a personal trainer for over two years. We would often do weight sets that were on the verge of anaerobic. I noticed that even though my aerobic exercise regimen during that time was fairly modest, my aerobic fitness seemed to increase quite a bit.

My lifestyle is mobile now (live in motorhome). It's made the "structured exercise" a little more challenging.

Audrey

I'm going to try this out now -- if you don't hear from me it means I had a heart attack.

HIIT is similar to fartlek training which has been used by runners for years.

I'm starting to worry about Al, it has been hours since he left. Should somebody check on him? :-[

Cool Dood said:
It sounds like you're overdoing it on the LSD. I'd stick to just one or two days a week... ;)
Can I get some clarification on this? How much LSD should I be doing to stay in shape? :D :LOL: :LOL:

Well I got back from the emergency room at 3 AM. Apparently it was a very mild heart attack. Ha ha, just kidding.

I tried it on my treadmill, set it to maximum now and then (8.3 MPH) -- not a full sprint, but I felt like I was going to be launched off the back. I'll try it outside next time.

This thread inspired me to go back to swimming intervals, which I hadn't done for several years. I had been swimming long slow distance at a steady pace for too long. My last two workouts were:

5 X 200 Free on 5 mins.
5 X 100 Free on 3 mins.
3 X 100 Breast on 4 mins.

I will shorten the intervals as my conditioning improves and I will add some sprint 50 Free's when I see how my elbows and shoulders tolerate the harder effort.

Grumpy

We live in St. Augustine, just a mile down the road from the fountain of youth. I should have taken a drink before last months lucky escape.

SWR

PS. The Saturn VUE is still running well. 3000 miles.

Grumpy - when I was on the masters swim team in high school , in order for us to move up to the more advanced level, we had to do 10 X100 (m) on 1:30. I know of one guy who did it to move up - I asked him how it felt - he said it felt like a 1000 m sprint.

Are those 100 yds or meters? The meters makes a difference, especially when doing 'fly!

Bridget

Bridget,

You were on a Master's swim team in high school? When I swam Master's 25 years ago the youngest age group for Master's competition was 20 to 24. Either Masters are getting younger or you spent a LONG time in high school. :D

The intervals I posted were for 100 yards. The indoor pool here at our community is only 20 yards so I get lots of flip turn practice. I was holding around 1:25 for the 100's but at this point I need a pretty long rest before the next 100. As my conditioning improves I will try to shorten the rest interval. I never was much of a sprinter. I think my fastest ever 100 yd free was around 1:02 (at age 32). My pace for a 1650 is arount 1:45 per 100 so I don't go a whole lot faster even for short sets. Because of chronic back problems I can only breathe to the left so I usually breathe every fourth stroke unless it is an all out sprint. For the same reason I don't even attempt fly.

Do you still swim? One of the best things about being retired is going to the pool whenever I feel like it - not having to share a lane with too many people like when I used to go after work.

Grumpy

Run gang run.

At 50 I still run 60 to 65 miles a week with a week of 70+ every once and a while. Heck I have been running since I was 10, heck that is 40 years.

Funny how the 200 meter speed workouts on the track with the high school track team I coach are so darn slower than what I could run back in the day.

Anyway stay active, get up early put in a bunch of miles read the newspaper, run some more maybe work part time at a running shoe store paddle a kayak.

Soon, I will be able just waiting for my house to sell and then we make the jump.

88, I used to do 100 a week, long run of 22, averaged 7.15, stopped running at 46, weight came, running stopped.

PB for 10k was 41.13, no problems with my joints but some of my old running buddies have had both knees replaced, some have back problems.

I think if you keep the weight down that might be key, I am nearly 6, I was running at about 155 pounds.

Zipper said:
Do I see knee and hip replacements at 65? ;)
I wouldn't last that long!

The only running I plan to do for the rest of my life is whatever it takes to pass the two-mile run of the tae kwon do black belt test qualifier. And then I think it's a 9:30 pace, so no worries.

I've been doing the sprints. Well - OK my sprints are "girlie" race walking sprints. Walking up a hill as fast as I can for 30 to 60 secs.

But it's enough to get lactic acid to build up in my legs (the burn). Just barely gets me winded - by the last sprint I might be just a little winded.

I figure if it's enough to cause lactic acid build-up it's gotta be good for something.

I added some post-walk lunges and squats with weights the other day. Now THAT got the heart pounding and got me winded. I guess I'll have to do the weights thing a couple times a week.

So far the knees are holding up (just barely).

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
So far the knees are holding up (just barely).
I sprained my right knee about 18 months ago (tae kwon do) and I've never really let it heal properly. It's started making those funny "crepitation" noises but I've finally figured out the issues and it's slowly healing. I was probably down so deep that it'll take another year to heal completely.

I sprained my left knee last Friday when I landed awkwardly on it. (Something about the sabumnim's axe kick to my jaw just sort of unhinged my concentration momentarily.) It was an extremely painful reminder of what it's like to lose the use of your "good" knee. However it's coming back.

This time I'm taking a three-week break with daily stretches-- and of course plenty of salty hydrotherapy. Today I started lunge-walking and next week we'll restart forms & lifting. I know what I did wrong on the knee landing and I know that I need more lifting & load-bearing exercises to strengthen my knees.

What I have yet to learn is to stop overexerting myself and to allow sufficient time for healing. Luckily I think it only takes one axe kick to the face to achieve that clarity of understanding...

Oh I know about funny knee noises!

I really ruined my knees in my early 30s way overdoing it with the downhill skiing.

I haven't been able to jog or do any kind of high impact activity since. It's amazing - a bit of impact and the knees really stiffen up and get "crunchy".

Audrey

mb said:
I decided to post this after reading the "Die at 80" topic:

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200604/high-intensity-training-1.html

It is an article from Outside magazine suggesting that brief, very intense physical exercise can increase natural human growth hormone (HGH) production and presumably slow the aging process.

I started incorporating this into my workout a week or two back when it was posted (using an eliptical trainer). So far, so good. I noticed almost an immediate uptake in energy (maybe just psychological). The great thing is that it is less boring than a typical trainer workout. Timing the sprints is distracting and makes the overall time pass quickly.

The HGH must be working too - my fingernails are growing quicker :)

Being kicked in the head is not my idea of exercise... :p

Knees, hips, lower back, right shoulder... :'(

Pass the ibuprofen...

Grumpy,

Sorry took so long to get back - no I don't swim for working out right now, but I can still swim, if you know what I mean. Whenever I do get in the pool, I think of laps :) Plus people tell me they know I swam competitively because my strokes are so smooth - I still remember working on our stroke techniques - breathing techniques, fartlecks, kicks, pulls, etc, etc, etc.

Interesting on the Masters - I guess we were AAU then and it became USS - but I swam in the lane with Masters (couldn't stomach the 1000m sprint!), so perhaps thats why I said I swam Masters.

I intend to swim more when I have more time and live closer to a pool - actually, I have a goal to do a mini-triathlon and when I start to train for that, I'll do some pool time - I've heard that is the weak point of most - mine is probably the bike-ride.

Good luck and keep 'stroking' :)

Bridget

I think when I decide to leave my job, sooner than later maybe this fall, I think my house sold, under contract, anyway I think I will just up my running to near 100 miles a week, swim and bike each day. Kinda like my new job. I will be out of the house away from the wife and not be spending any money.

Drink water so no big bucks there.

Eat a calorie restricted diet, studies show you live longer so less money for food will be needed.

Off to run.

newguy88 said:
Eat a calorie restricted diet, studies show you live longer so less money for food will be needed.
Isn't that a wash? If you live longer you'll be eating food over a longer time, so might still come up to the same total food over a lifetime (or more)?

Personally I never "got" the calorie restriction thing to achieve longevity. You actually go hungry most of the time, and you look like someone who has starved. Doesn't sound like the quality of life is worth the longevity!!

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Isn't that a wash?  If you live longer you'll be eating food over a longer time, so might still come up to the same total food over a lifetime (or more)?
Personally I never "got" the calorie restriction thing to achieve longevity.  You actually go hungry most of the time, and you look like someone who has starved.  Doesn't sound like the quality of life is worth the longevity!!
Yeah, but your investments will have longer to compound to pay for the higher-priced food. We'll all be eating synthesized protein out of replicators by that point.

I'm intrigued by all the positive health improvements seen when the Biosphere II team went on calorie restriction. "In the first six months, and on 1,800 calories per day, the Biospherians showed an average 15 percent weight loss, 18 percent lower blood glucose, 35 percent lower blood cholesterol, and 18 and 21 percent (systolic/diastolic) lower blood pressure." And while you're hungry through the "downsizing" if not done properly, you reach a new plateau where hunger is no worse than your hunger currently is. My question is maintaining an active life (martial arts, surfing, & yardwork) on that fare, but all I'd have to do to hit 1800 cal/day is cut back on the ice cream.

As for the starvation, look at 1940s pictures of the WWII troops on ships or families on the beach. Quite a few people used to look like that. Maybe it was bad diet with too much nicotine & ethanol, but the way most Americans look today is (hopefully) an aberration from the historical record.

1800 calories per day doesn't sound so bad. But I thought the longevity people were eating well below that. Seemed like the point was to slow the metabolism so as to slow cell division which increases longevity. Minimizing exercise was another part of the strategy to slow metabolism/extend life. [I admit that all the in depth info got about the "CRONE" movement was from a Newsweek article so I may be way off base]

No question the amount of people overweight today IS an aberration and most could stand some serious calorie restriction from current levels. But my impression was that the longevity movement went way to the other extreme.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom