Good Part Time Job

whatwhat

Confused about dryer sheets
I started a company that was successful and I'm in my 30s now. The company pretty much runs itself so I don't work much anymore.

I've done many of the things that people do in retirement; travel, volunteer, pick up hobbies. It's great, but most of my peer group is at work during the day, so I'd like something to provide social interaction and purpose during this time.

Has anybody picked up a part time job just for fun? I'm thinking about getting a job at a coffee shop or grocery store for about 20 hours/week. Am I crazy?

We are in our fifties with gray hair (well gray roots for me since I dye my hair) and most of our peer group is at work. We are okay hanging out with people in their sixties so it works out for us, but we are teased about being the younguns at club meetings.

I don't think you are crazy. I think humans are social animals. You could also go back to school or do volunteer work. What have you always wanted to do but didn't have time for? What would an ideal day for you be like? Brian Tracy has some good DVDs on goal setting and visualizing your perfect life. You can often find them used on Amazon.

Last edited:
Yes, but if you are in you're 30's you are allowed a little wiggle room. :)

haha.

I've found volunteer work lacks the commitment and most volunteers are at least 30 years older than me. I like to volunteer, but it's better suited as a hobby.

I have some long term goals, but it will take awhile for those to develop, so I'm just looking for something that will provide some structure and social interaction in the meantime.

No, not crazy. At my last job I worked with a couple of multimillionaires who certainly didn't need the income. They did want the social interaction.

Start another company?

I'll probably start another venture in a few years. I'm just looking for something social and not too serious in the meantime.

I was just wondering if there are any part time jobs that I hadn't thought about.

Thanks for all the help!

Start a Blog on some adventure that you are interested in. Read and comment on Blogs. They are a non-personal sort of social interaction, like this forum...

Maybe write a small book on how to start a business, and sell it as an eBook. Volunter at the zoo, or go on a bike ride every AM.

There are lots of things for social interaction. As a business owner (and employee) myself, I am not sure I could do it. Being in a place at the set time that I am being told to do. Maybe if it was volunteer work, and I could come and go as I please, I could take it.

Keep making sure your company keeps on. There are many competitors out there, and no company can run itself forever. Keep improving it, keep making it larger, or more profitable. You do not want to be in your 60s and be broke.

As it is, I can barely handle my last two years here at the office before I FIRE.

Last edited:
Umpire. My son makes $35 for a two hr game. I talked to one guy who schedules umpires for tournaments and he says the guys can make $350-$400 a weekend. Of course you have to have tough skin. Also learn how to build and replace screens. Huge margin and minimal effort.

JDARNELL

Back
Top Bottom