Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
We love cali, but the nonsense is beginning to be too much to take. Too much pork, too many giveaways, too many bleeding heart politicians who would be more than happy to take away from those that have worked hard and saved and give to those who barely work and squander what they have. We haven't spent a lot of time in Oregon though. Kind of like some of the smaller cities in Utah but could not stomach Salt Lake or Provo/Orem. We like Logan and St George...but Logan is too cold in winter and St George is too hot in summer. Only places I have been in Oregon are too rainy.

R
What about a house in Cedar City and a condo or something small in St George to get away from the 3-4 months of cold in Cedar? They are very close (~ 50 miles ?) but have very different climates and I think they are both still pretty cheap compared to CA.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
i am in san jose (the south bay area) & own 2 homes here (& 4 more in oregon) & plan to sell off the 2 san jose & 2 of the oregon homes before i head north with approx. 750k of equity from the sales. yes, traffic anywhere in the bay area sucks.
Agree with the comment on traffic but my thinking is that sort of stuff becomes less important in retirement. I'm also in the south bay but don't have to get on the freeway to get to work and can bike when I feel like it so it doesn't bother me much.

The other issue is of course housing prices. You can sell here, buy something similar almost anywhere else and have a lot of money left over.

But I do a lot of outdoor activities and you just can't buy this kind of year-round climate anywhere else. I'll probably stay put but may consider relocating somewhere else along the coast such as San Luis Obispo.

MB

Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I plan to leave the San Francisco bay area this spring after ~35 years. We are headed east -- Asheville, NC

We sold our house, in San Francisco, last year satisfying our goal of diversifying our net worth. We have been renting in Marin for the past 9 months. Marin has lots to offer, however, even in today's market housing prices are high and
Marin is a little too suburban for my taste. We decided we don't want to be 'house poor'. We have visited Asheville multiple times. We spent considerable time with a realtor in November and confirmed that we could get a lot more house for a lot less money.

We will miss the great bay area weather. We will also have to shop for health insurance sooner than I had hoped. (I retired last March and was covered by Kaiser at work which provided 36 months of CAL-COBRA coverage.) I don't think we will miss the crowding, dysfunctional state government and high cost of living. We plan to live close to downtown Asheville which we expect to provide more of the urban life style we prefer.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
Agree with the comment on traffic but my thinking is that sort of stuff becomes less important in retirement. I'm also in the south bay but don't have to get on the freeway to get to work and can bike when I feel like it so it doesn't bother me much.
MB
If you were move to a more urban area, like San Francisco or Berkeley or Alameda or Piedmont couldn't you live so that you rarely have to go anywhere in your car?

When I lived in Berkeley I almost never got in my car unless I wanted to go to Mt. Tam or Stinson Beach or something.

Where I live now in urban Seattle, not only do I not have to drive much, but knowing my way around pretty well many of the city streets that do not lead to freeway on-ramps aren't crowded, even at rush hour.

Leaving Bay Area weather for almost anyplace else might not be pleasant.

Ha
Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If you were move to a more urban area, like San Francisco or Berkeley or Alameda or Piedmont couldn't you live so that you rarely have to go anywhere in your car?

When I lived in Berkeley I almost never got in my car unless I wanted to go to Mt. Tam or Stinson Beach or something.

Where I live now in urban Seattle, not only do I not have to drive much, but knowing my way around pretty well many of the city streets that do not lead to freeway on-ramps aren't crowded, even at rush hour.

Leaving Bay Area weather for almost anyplace else might not be pleasant.

Ha
Yes, you are right.

I lived in Oakland very near the borders with both Berkeley and Piedmont for five years.

It is still my favorite of all the places that I have lived.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We lived on Cedar Ave and Grizzly Peak in Berkeley, Buena Vista Ave in Oakland, Greenbank Ave in Piedmont, and Tunnel Road in Oakland. Maybe we were neighbors!

Only on Cedar did we avoid having to drive much (we didn't have a car!). We enjoyed it for many years, but I guess I'm not a city person, 'cause I'm glad to be out of there.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Duplicate post - removed.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Weather in Oregon depends on which side of the Cascades you are on. East of the Cascades is sunny and CA-like, west of the Cascades is a temperate rain forest.

We lived in Corvallis and the rains stopped on July 5th (always seemed to rain on the holiday) and started again in mid-to-late October. Summer's were gorgeous.

Oregon-unique things we encoutered included: Mold on the roofs, Rain-suits (like snow suits), no sales tax, no self-serve gas, high property taxes and trouble funding schools.

Oregon's coast is gorgeous and wild compared to CA.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Even those places are accessible by public transit, especially in summer and even better if you bring a bike along. Chances are if you go to those places, you are a hiker anyway and can even skip the bike.

For instance, hook your bike to the front of a Golden Gate Transit bus, at Marin City transfer to a Muir Woods shuttle (summer weekends only), bike rides inside the shuttle (as it would inside BART). Round trip from East Bay Terminal is less than $10. You could also get a free shuttle up to Mt. Tam for performances at the Mountain Theater; I don't think you need to show the driver a ticket. I remember a year round bus stop at Mt. Tam, or a traditional hiker may want to hike out from Mill Valley.

I thought I would take a lot of cabs and rent cars after I sold my car (in 1980), but very rarely do so--my transportation expenses are extreme LBYM which, to my mind, makes the outrageous rents more acceptable.

Now, if I can just stop drooling over Jaguars. The true meaning of Calif. is the image of driving down the coast with the top down, no? And the car should be red.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Generally, as you move north in Oregon west of the Cascades there is more and more rain. The Rogue River valley for example gets only about 1/2 of the annual rainfall of the Portland Area. As you move north on the I-5 corridor, Ashland and Medford get the least rain, Grants Pass and Roseburg a bit more, Eugene quite a bit more and so on. In SW Oregon the nice weather generally starts mid April and goes to late October.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Now, if I can just stop drooling over Jaguars. The true meaning of Calif. is the image of driving down the coast with the top down, no? And the car should be red.
Didn't Dustin Hoffman drive an Alfa Romeo Spider in the Graduate? I hear that with the new Fiat/Chrysler hookup Alfas will be coming back to the US. And there is no red like the Italian red.

Ha
Old 01-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Didn't Dustin Hoffman drive an Alfa Romeo Spider in the Graduate? I hear that with the new Fiat/Chrysler hookup Alfas will be coming back to the US. And there is no red like the Italian red.

Ha
and famous for driving the wrong way on the upper deck of the Bay Bridge.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotReady4Purple View Post

Agreed with most of your post, but on this one I'll differ a little; I'd say Northern California's coast compares with Oregon's in terms of ruggedness, wildness, and beauty. Actually, I'd start the comparison at Big Sur and north. Splitting hairs, really, but not all of CA has urbanized beach areas.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotReady4Purple View Post

Oregon-unique things we encountered included: Mold on the roof, no sales tax, no self-serve gas, high property taxes.

i agree with most of these points:
the moss grows on roofs, but can be controlled somewhat
no sales tax reduces the cost of living by 8.25%!!!
full serve gas pumped mostly by friendly English speaking people

but i beg to differ on the high prop tax. our home in san jose costs over $13,000 / year, our house on 11.5 acres in Oregon is only $1,420 / year!

we do really love the oregon cost as well. i always stop at the vista point above manzanita beach & take in the view. absolutely breathtaking.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #35

We moved to Bend three years ago after living in San Diego for 35 years. The average annual precipitation is 10 inches, which happens to be the same as San Diego.

Our property taxes are $2,600. We were paying $3,200 in San Diego when we moved.

We don't miss the high California sales tax. As others have mentioned, there is no state sales tax in Oregon (I hear that if Arnold has his way, sales tax will soon be 10% in the Golden State).

We have blue skies, clean air and the purist drinking water in the U.S. Traffic is light and there are no freeways near Bend. Lines are short in restaurants, movie theaters, stores and gas stations. As an added bonus, you'll never experience the foul smell of gasoline on your hands from pumping your own gas.

People are friendly, with a high-percentage of people who have escaped the the ever-increasing crime , air-pollution, and traffic congestion that is characteristic throughout most of California.

Don't come up here looking for w*rk, though. Wages are low and unemployment is currently 10.3%. However, it's a wonderful place for ER's!

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
What about a house in Cedar City and a condo or something small in St George to get away from the 3-4 months of cold in Cedar? They are very close (~ 50 miles ?) but have very different climates and I think they are both still pretty cheap compared to CA.
That seems to make some sense. I have never spent any time in Cedar City, so next time we go that direction I'll stop for a day or so.

R
Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone that made the move to/from CA to OR have any info to share about what they found on ease/availability/cost of healthcare coverage in one state relative to the other?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #38

I would love to move to Sonoma and have been doing some research. I could buy a ranch style house there for around $275K now. But the property taxes are high, about $5500/year for that example house. Also, now I read that sales taxes are approaching 10%. They can only go up, I think, now that the state government is going bankrupt.

I too lived in Berkeley for a few years, on Sacramento st, and Bancroft Way. Things have really changed there since the 70s but I still yearn for my home state, have family living there, and would love to spend the rest of my life there if I thought I could make it work financially.

About the health insurance question: I have World Health Insurance which is the Great West network here in CO and could transfer to the same network in n. calif.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
California:

Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

The northern CA and entire OR coast is rugged and chilly. There is a banana belt near Gold Beach.

My concern about living on the Oregon coast is critical care. My cousin found a perfect lot near Seal Rock, built a home. Then he had elective cardiac surgery recently and died from post-op complications (poor blood thinner management). He should have gone to St. V's in Portland.

Home prices in Oregon x-Portland are softening fast. Be sure to line up an anal retentive home inspector as builders often short-cut the building envelope. There are some beautiful older craftsman style homes to be found in the Willamette Valley.