Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
It's like when the news reports on something that I have some expertise in. For the most part, they screw it ALL up. So, I have to assume that the other stuff they report on (that I am not an expert on) is just as screwed up!
+5 I concur.

I listen to all news sources; I love to listen to the obvious bias that accompanies the stories.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I am going to watch less.

"The news" has become so formulaic:

Tragic event....Mass shooting, bombing blasts, terror attacks etc.

Video of people running, screaming, and blurry replays of phone videos.

A newly creating "Tragedy-Du-Jour" Logo for each event, accompanied by maudlin, somber music.

Candidates issuing tough, foot stomping declarations, with appropriate stern expressions.

Local officials issuing "Thoughts and prayers" and blah blah blah at podiums and press conferences....

Shots of flowers, candles and teddy bear "memorials".

Public buildings illuminated with colored lights, sometimes flags lowered on "orders from the President".....

"Panels of experts" giving the same old blah blah blah on who, where, what, why....not news, just opinions.

Funerals attended by politicians.

Private meetings with the families, covered widely in the news to indicate concern.

Then......BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

It starts all over again.

I was recently going to purchase a new TeeVee ( I watch so little I still have a projection TeeVee and***gasp***a 25 year old TeeVee!!!!!) but why bother....I've begun to realize I HATE TeeVee.

Ridiculous programming, vulgar programming, infantile programming and that's just "the news"!!!!

Old 07-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A little related...TV usage. We recently cut the cord and so I have been watching our internet use (we have a data cap). When it is boiled down, we have a "budget" of 12 GB per day. During the week, we use about 4 GB and on the weekends it's about 10 GB. When my DW was out of town for a week, the TOTAL for the 6 days was 3 GB. So...you can tell that I really don't watch much TV at all. If it wasn't for the DW, I am pretty sure I could throw the TV in the garbage and not miss it at all.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

It looks like I also fit in with the gang of TV news. I look at the paper every morning as I eat breakfast. It is a habit.

I think the TV news in particular has about hit the dust. I watch very little of it anymore. About half the time it is entertainment fluff and the real news reported is biased. Biased also includes deliberately leaving out news however politically incorrect it may be. The news has turned into "Entertainment Tonight". I take everything with a grain of salt.

As to written news...I look towards reading it from the UK about the US if I want more factual data that is less biased.

What Lcountz says is certainly correct.

It is a shame.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post

Candidates issuing tough, foot stomping declarations, with appropriate stern expressions.

Local officials issuing "Thoughts and prayers" and blah blah blah at podiums and press conferences....

"Panels of experts" giving the same old blah blah blah on who, where, what, why....not news, just opinions.

Then......BREAKING NEWS!!!!! It starts all over again.
+1000

I was watching CNN coverage of the Nice terror attacks last evening, and honestly they must have replayed the same exact cellphone video footage of people running down the streets like 600 times. And there can be no doubt we're in for lots of toothless, empty words of condemnation from politicians, followed by days and days of hand wringing and "thoughts and prayers". But nothing will change, and it will all happen again soon enough. It's getting to the point where it's like living in an absurd tragicomedy, just endlessly repeating itself. Sigh...
Old 07-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I always feel like I'm being manipulated to feel that the latest national election/scandal/event is more important than the things that touch me directly.
Bingo!

It keeps you watching. That's the whole point - to sell ads. Keep you anxious and hooked so you'll tune in tomorrow.

Don't people get this? Why news is presented the way it is? That you are the product and they want you to watch all the commercials?

It is so NOT a public service!
Old 07-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

I don't watch the news anymore. It's more opinions/speculations than facts anyways. All I do is scan the headlines from select online sources in the morning (reference newspapers in 4 different countries as each country has its bias). If something major happened, I'll know about it and spare myself the hysteria of news TV.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #48

I stopped watching TV news a couple of years ago, but keep the subscription to the local newspaper because it's well, local. And they do try to report on the good stuff that happens, like some high schooler getting a scholarship. DW did disconnect from Facebook a month or so ago but still watches TV news.

I get enough TV news at the gym three or four times a week, CNN and Fox news are in front of the treadmills and ellipticals. Soap operas are in front of the stationary bikes and a couple of other machines so I'm even learning a bit about the tragic and suspenseful lives of the denizens of soap-opera-land.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
I am going to watch less.

A newly creating "Tragedy-Du-Jour" Logo for each event, accompanied by maudlin, somber music.

Public buildings illuminated with colored lights, sometimes flags lowered on "orders from the President".....

Private meetings with the families, covered widely in the news to indicate concern.

Then......BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

It starts all over again.

I was recently going to purchase a new TeeVee ( I watch so little I still have a projection TeeVee and***gasp***a 25 year old TeeVee!!!!!) but why bother....I've begun to realize I HATE TeeVee.

Ridiculous programming, vulgar programming, infantile programming and that's just "the news"!!!!
Boy, you've nailed it except any interview with any neighbours. "they seemed like nice enough people, very quiet".

Netflix for us.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
+1000

...they must have replayed the same exact cellphone video footage of people running down the streets like 600 times...Sigh...
After viewing the video 600 times, did you decide to stop watching it, or did the news station go on to something else? If the latter, did you then search for another news station that was showing the video?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:35 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

If it was up to me I wouldn't watch it at all but DH likes to watch news over breakfast so usually only about 15 mins or so, still I would rather avoid, if something really big happens someone will tell me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2016, 05:05 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I stopped watching TV news many years ago. Local news is particularly bad.

I receive daily news summaries via email (with links to full stories) from various trusted sources. That allows me to keep up with things without getting riled up.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:39 AM   #53

My problem is I tend to "heckle" the newscasts. I can't help saying things like "ya, right". "How stupid". "No way". "Who cares". My DW has to tell me to shut up.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #54

What I find ironic is that everything is "breaking news" even it it happened three days ago. We have to remember that these so called news channels have to get good ratings in order to attract advertising dollars. It is big business and most of it is not news, it's commentary on the events of the day.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
What I find ironic is that everything is "breaking news" even it it happened three days ago. We have to remember that these so called news channels have to get good ratings in order to attract advertising dollars. It is big business and most of it is not news, it's commentary on the events of the day.
+1

Breaking news ...
Major new developments ..
Stunning revelations ..
Exclusive interview ..
Old 07-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
What I find ironic is that everything is "breaking news" even it it happened three days ago.
After years and years of "breaking news" it is obvious why the news is totally broken.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

Old 07-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #57

No.... I stopped for a while but felt it was better to keep up with what was going on a regular basis. I don't usually buy too much of the newscasters opinions of why an event happened or what is going to happen because of "something", etc. Same with what I read on the internet (including this site). I disagree with a lot of what I read but still like to hear/read others viewpoints. Just other sources of information/perspectives but I prefer to draw my own conclusions.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
It's like when the news reports on something that I have some expertise in. For the most part, they screw it ALL up. So, I have to assume that the other stuff they report on (that I am not an expert on) is just as screwed up!
+5 I concur.

I listen to all news sources; I love to listen to the obvious bias that accompanies the stories.
Yes, I've also seen reports on subjects I have expertise in, and think the same thing and just shake my head. A couple of times, I was actually amazed that they did a pretty good job, but it should not be the very rare exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
.... I listen to all news sources; I love to listen to the obvious bias that accompanies the stories.
I sometimes do that for the (frustrating brand of) 'entertainment'. Also somewhat funny that two diametrically left/right radio talk shows will have some of the same commercials (buy Gold! Buy this supplement that we can't say improves your health, but here are testimonials from people with no credentials!).

I don't know if this was posted in one of the 'Brexit' threads or not, but all the news shows were repeating that 'the average 401K lost $2,xxx after the vote, and then $3,xxx' after the market dropped two days in a row. Like they were telling you something important.

Instead, they could have said 'The average 401K is still higher than it was six weeks ago, despite the volatility surrounding the vote'. But I guess that more relevant version of the story doesn't have the same impact.

I mostly follow the headline items from my Google News site, skim, and click on something of interest. If it is mildly important to me, I'll go to the source. Seems the vast majority of news articles really twist the material, through selective quoting, or just misrepresentation. Sometimes it is from laziness, but a lot of it appears to be bias, and much of that I fear is intentional bias. One recent example - look how many sites selectively 'quote' a very high level FBI investigator as saying "careless", when he actually said "extremely careless". Dropping an extremely important adverb in an extremely carefully worded statement isn't just careless (or even extremely careless) reporting, I'm certain it is a sign of bias. Go to the source, don't bother with a news report of a statement like that.

-ERD50
Old 07-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, I've also seen reports on subjects I have expertise in, and think the same thing and just shake my head. A couple of times, I was actually amazed that they did a pretty good job, but it should not be the very rare exception.
-ERD50
Agree 100%. When they talk or write about something that I really know well (have expertise) they seldom get it 100% right. They speak in absolutes but are usually about half right. So it makes me wonder how much they get wrong when they are talking about things not in my area of expertise.

I also find it interesting that it can take our (US) most prestigious investigatory agencies a year or more to come up with an opinion on "something" but a politician or newscaster can do it (an express it as fact) in few minutes.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #60

A recent trend that irks me quite a bit is that when I look news outlets, usually on-line, they start with "new developments in Nice" (as a recent example) while it only has been a few hours (and I was sound asleep).

They all assume I'm plugged in 24/7 and I have to really look hard to find out what the hoopla actually *is* - in this case a truck driving into a crowd. I get that you want to bring the latest minute, but please link to a summary somewhere for those not jacked in yet?

That and the "This the new normal" and "the world will never be the same" quotes that are used very liberally.

Also, +1 on the Economist. The only magazine I want to read and pay for anymore.