Has Anyone STOPPED Watching/Reading the News?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto with bits and pieces of the Golf channel blended in, here and there.
The Golf Channel! Now that's an alternative I hadn't considered and will look into. When recently retired I watched it for a short time but stopped, it was just too fast-paced for me and I was looking to relax and slow my life down a little. :)

Last edited:
I read The Economist cover to cover every week.
I feel as if I learn everything of importance that way.

For local news, I skim the iPad version of the local newspaper most mornings. Maybe ten minutes worth.

That's it.

I've just started watching the news on TV again within the past few weeks. I binge watch news during big news times - 9/11, elections, etc.

What I realize, sadly, is that I no longer "feel" a lot that is happening. Just this morning I heard on the news of how the people of Nice are "shocked." I mulled over that word and thought, why shocked? Who is shocked anymore at anything? All this tragedy never abates.
I find this emotional blankness disturbing. I don't know the answer to it. I do know that I am happier and more grounded if I keep the news to a minimum. I watch the evening 1/2 hour news and read the Sunday paper. That's about it.

Drudge Report for me.

DW likes CNN and has it on all three TV's at home so she doesn't miss anything important during the day.

We don't watch news at night and save that news for the morning since it will still be shown. Instead, we watch re-runs of The First 48 or Forensic Files to stay on top of the latest crime investigations.

What news I miss, I get from the old retirees at the ROMEO Burger King visit each morning before we decide which Sam's Club to go to for free samples of food (cheap lunch). Gotta LBYM, you know! ;)

I've come to believe that the only two places where actual facts reside is in sports stats and (generally) the financial results.

We have direct and personal experience on how a major cable channel can twist reality to suit their agenda. One involved being in a location where something terrible was reported and....nothing of the sort was going on; in fact, there was nothing going on.

We have direct and personal experience on how a major cable channel can twist reality to suit their agenda. One involved being in a location where something terrible was reported and....nothing of the sort was going on; in fact, there was nothing going on.

It's like when the news reports on something that I have some expertise in. For the most part, they screw it ALL up. So, I have to assume that the other stuff they report on (that I am not an expert on) is just as screwed up! :blush:

Thanks, ExFlyBoy5. DH and I talked and we both agreed to stop recording the news, watching it and he is going to take the Breaking News app off of his phone. I am only going to check Facebook once or twice a week. I like seeing the pictures of the relatives children. I think that we will be happier!

When DH is home, he has one of the news channels on tv all day as background noise. When he is away on business, I might go days without watching any local or national news.

In the United States, everything you see, hear, read, in terms of media consumption is controlled by just six very large companies. As recently as the 1970's, approximately 40-something organizations had this control; hence, a great deal more diversity. I do not filter the world through anything related to what I refer to as "push" media. I do scan the online business sections of about 10 major news publications in order to see how perceptions are being shaped. Along these lines, there are three things I absolutely refuse to talk about with anyone: religion, politics, and I can't remember the third...

I read The Economist cover to cover every week.
I feel as if I learn everything of importance that way.

For local news, I skim the iPad version of the local newspaper most mornings. Maybe ten minutes worth.

That's it.

+1 on the Economist. Actual information plus thoughtful analysis. I also get the WSJ everyday, but usually just skim through it for anything interesting.

I look at the two local papers front page (online) everyday, but usually only click once or twice beyond that.

I generally avoid TV News except for PBS NewsHour on a "big news day."

I am so out of the news loop my girlfriend tells me what got blown or shot up when we talk.

Y

The benefits are that I'm no longer overwhelmed or assaulted with negative energy multiple times a day. I can remain in the moment and enjoy my life without other people's insanity crowding in. The majority of what goes on 'out there' are things we have absolutely no control over, so at the end of the day what, really, is the point of letting them control how you feel?

ding ding ding,

I actually started a "disconnect" day many years ago. when my kids where small, I started noticing that on Mondays I would get major migraines, not going to go into the long drawn out story but bottom line a very good friend of mine suggested that once a week I "disconnect". no news, no internet, no paper nada. long story short the difference was amazing.

I do like my local newspaper (Philly inquirer) but as a general rule on Sundays I am totally analog. no cell, no cable, very limited internet (usually to check operating hours). I also make my kids turn off their phones if they are hanging with me.

Thanks, ExFlyBoy5. DH and I talked and we both agreed to stop recording the news, watching it and he is going to take the Breaking News app off of his phone. I am only going to check Facebook once or twice a week. I like seeing the pictures of the relatives children. I think that we will be happier!

My pleasure! I can now say that I did something useful today! :D
Well, I walked the dogs too, so they are happy with me too.

I have really enjoyed ignoring Facebook. I didn't realize how petty some folks can be until I *stopped* seeing how petty they could be! If dropping the news is as 1/2 cathartic for me as dumping FB has been, then I will be a very happy man.

It's like when the news reports on something that I have some expertise in. For the most part, they screw it ALL up. So, I have to assume that the other stuff they report on (that I am not an expert on) is just as screwed up! :blush:

+5 I concur.

I listen to all news sources; I love to listen to the obvious bias that accompanies the stories.

I am going to watch less.

"The news" has become so formulaic:

Tragic event....Mass shooting, bombing blasts, terror attacks etc.

Video of people running, screaming, and blurry replays of phone videos.

A newly creating "Tragedy-Du-Jour" Logo for each event, accompanied by maudlin, somber music.

Candidates issuing tough, foot stomping declarations, with appropriate stern expressions.

Local officials issuing "Thoughts and prayers" and blah blah blah at podiums and press conferences....

Shots of flowers, candles and teddy bear "memorials".

Public buildings illuminated with colored lights, sometimes flags lowered on "orders from the President".....

"Panels of experts" giving the same old blah blah blah on who, where, what, why....not news, just opinions.

Funerals attended by politicians.

Private meetings with the families, covered widely in the news to indicate concern.

Then......BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

It starts all over again.

I was recently going to purchase a new TeeVee ( I watch so little I still have a projection TeeVee and***gasp***a 25 year old TeeVee!!!!!) but why bother....I've begun to realize I HATE TeeVee.

Ridiculous programming, vulgar programming, infantile programming and that's just "the news"!!!!

A little related...TV usage. We recently cut the cord and so I have been watching our internet use (we have a data cap). When it is boiled down, we have a "budget" of 12 GB per day. During the week, we use about 4 GB and on the weekends it's about 10 GB. When my DW was out of town for a week, the TOTAL for the 6 days was 3 GB. So...you can tell that I really don't watch much TV at all. If it wasn't for the DW, I am pretty sure I could throw the TV in the garbage and not miss it at all.

It looks like I also fit in with the gang of TV news. I look at the paper every morning as I eat breakfast. It is a habit.

I think the TV news in particular has about hit the dust. I watch very little of it anymore. About half the time it is entertainment fluff and the real news reported is biased. Biased also includes deliberately leaving out news however politically incorrect it may be. The news has turned into "Entertainment Tonight". I take everything with a grain of salt.

As to written news...I look towards reading it from the UK about the US if I want more factual data that is less biased.

What Lcountz says is certainly correct.

It is a shame.

Candidates issuing tough, foot stomping declarations, with appropriate stern expressions.

Local officials issuing "Thoughts and prayers" and blah blah blah at podiums and press conferences....

"Panels of experts" giving the same old blah blah blah on who, where, what, why....not news, just opinions.

Then......BREAKING NEWS!!!!! It starts all over again.

+1000

I was watching CNN coverage of the Nice terror attacks last evening, and honestly they must have replayed the same exact cellphone video footage of people running down the streets like 600 times. And there can be no doubt we're in for lots of toothless, empty words of condemnation from politicians, followed by days and days of hand wringing and "thoughts and prayers". But nothing will change, and it will all happen again soon enough. It's getting to the point where it's like living in an absurd tragicomedy, just endlessly repeating itself. Sigh...

I always feel like I'm being manipulated to feel that the latest national election/scandal/event is more important than the things that touch me directly.
Bingo!

It keeps you watching. That's the whole point - to sell ads. Keep you anxious and hooked so you'll tune in tomorrow.

Don't people get this? Why news is presented the way it is? That you are the product and they want you to watch all the commercials?

It is so NOT a public service!

I don't watch the news anymore. It's more opinions/speculations than facts anyways. All I do is scan the headlines from select online sources in the morning (reference newspapers in 4 different countries as each country has its bias). If something major happened, I'll know about it and spare myself the hysteria of news TV.

I stopped watching TV news a couple of years ago, but keep the subscription to the local newspaper because it's well, local. And they do try to report on the good stuff that happens, like some high schooler getting a scholarship. DW did disconnect from Facebook a month or so ago but still watches TV news.

I get enough TV news at the gym three or four times a week, CNN and Fox news are in front of the treadmills and ellipticals. Soap operas are in front of the stationary bikes and a couple of other machines so I'm even learning a bit about the tragic and suspenseful lives of the denizens of soap-opera-land.

I am going to watch less.

A newly creating "Tragedy-Du-Jour" Logo for each event, accompanied by maudlin, somber music.

Public buildings illuminated with colored lights, sometimes flags lowered on "orders from the President".....

Private meetings with the families, covered widely in the news to indicate concern.

Then......BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

It starts all over again.

I was recently going to purchase a new TeeVee ( I watch so little I still have a projection TeeVee and***gasp***a 25 year old TeeVee!!!!!) but why bother....I've begun to realize I HATE TeeVee.

Ridiculous programming, vulgar programming, infantile programming and that's just "the news"!!!!
Boy, you've nailed it except any interview with any neighbours. "they seemed like nice enough people, very quiet".

Netflix for us.

+1000

...they must have replayed the same exact cellphone video footage of people running down the streets like 600 times...Sigh...

After viewing the video 600 times, did you decide to stop watching it, or did the news station go on to something else? If the latter, did you then search for another news station that was showing the video? :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom