Has anyone taken a "hobby job"?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I are planning ER soon. I've been a C-level exec for many years and have no interest in continuing a career in my field post ER on a part time or consulting basis. We both have many interests so not too concerned about getting bored. I'm curious to hear from people who have taken a part time job doing something completely unrelated to your former career, not for the money but just because the job is related to a personal passion or hobby. I've thought about doing that but I wonder if it would really be satisfying or if it would just feel like w**k?

Have thought about same thing when we pull the plug next year. My biggest concern is time off as we would like to hop in RV and take impromptu trips. Seems like that job could really curtail that flexibility.

I'm seriously considering Taskrabbit, which pairs people looking for someone to do something with someone who offers to do it for a price. They collect a lot of personal info (this is a step up from Craigslist!) and they've been interviewed by the BBC in 2 podcasts I've heard. One example is putting together someone's IKEA furniture. I'd like to do home-based spreadsheet work.

I definitely don't want anything with a fixed schedule or that requires me to set an alarm clock!

Yes, I turned a hobby of making jewelry into a small business. Very small, but I've been at it a few years and it does bring low 5-figure side income. I like the business and competitive side as much as making stuff, so it feeds a few passions for me. It's not enough to feel like a job 90% of the time, on average 2 hours a day? And I can shut things down for vacations whenever I like. But during the holiday season I need to plan better because then it becomes very busy.

I worked as a volunteer for an organization, but got fed up and quit after one year. I don't know why I thought the organizational dynamics would be any different than the corporate world, in my experience they were probably worse. When people are depending on a paycheck, they're more civil? When they're volunteering, maybe not. But I am hopeful I will 'work' again...

This year I started working as a whitewater raft guide-- something DH and I did on weekends 25+ years ago. Definitely in the hobby j*b category-- so far I've spent a bit more on gear than I've earned (but the gear purchases can slow down a little now that I've got the basics). I usually only work on the weekends when there are more customers, and I can get time off whenever I want as long as I give more than a week notice. There will be no work available from November-April.

Occasionally I have to set an alarm if I have an early trip, but I don't mind since it's only once or twice a week. The vast majority of the time I thoroughly enjoy my day, it's only once in a while that a guest is annoying and I have to remind myself that we are in a customer service industry. As an introvert, I expend a lot of emotional energy being outgoing and friendly with the guests all day. That's probably a good thing because my other hobbies are loner activities. I might turn into a hermit otherwise.

There's a bonus for me: a stronger core and deeper tan (albeit with weird tan lines).

I worked as a volunteer for an organization, but got fed up and quit after one year. I don't know why I thought the organizational dynamics would be any different than the corporate world, in my experience they were probably worse. When people are depending on a paycheck, they're more civil? When they're volunteering, maybe not. But I am hopeful I will 'work' again...

I have had just the opposite experience. I've been volunteering for our local food pantry and have found it very satisfying and the people have been very nice and very appreciative.

I'm on the HOA Board- good people except for one guy who seems to sue people for a hobby and got on the Board only because it was a way to get him to stop his lawsuit alleging that the last Board election was invalid (he'd run as a write-in and lost). I think I'll stick with it- the other 4 of us work well together and can out-vote him- but it's nice to know quitting is an option. At least in retirement you have the luxury of deciding how much BS you'll live with.

I enjoy camping so last summer I got a volunteer position as a campground host at a state campground in Maine. The position was not a paid one but they provided me a site with hookups in return for 20 hours of work per week. It was 5 1/2 months of camping in a beautiful lakefront campground and I enjoyed it.

I had to clean restrooms, pick up campsites, do minor maintenance and grounds upkeep but it kept me busy and active. In my off time I could relax at the lake, explore the area, ride my bike, hike and just do whatever I felt like doing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
I enjoy camping so last summer I got a volunteer position at a state campground in Maine. The position was not a paid one but they provided me a site with hookups in return for 20 hours of work per week. It was 5 1/2 months of camping in a beautiful lakefront campground and I enjoyed it.

I had to clean restrooms, pick up campsites, do minor maintenance and grounds upkeep but it kept me busy and active. In my off time I could relax at the lake, explore the area, ride my bike, hike and just do whatever I felt like doing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I tried the camp host and golf host volunteer job at two different GA state parks. The camp host gig was just OK, but I really enjoyed the golf host job. Nothing like tooling around on a John Deere zero turn diesel mower at breakneck speeds. Free site and free unlimited golf. Fun, fun, fun!

I started an ebay business after retiring . I sold mostly cocktail dresses . I could shut down whenever I wanted and with little work I was pulling in five figures a year . After eight years I decided to close the business . It helped me ease into retirement.

Career was as an engineer. In retirement, I do income tax returns from Jan to April. Pay is a fraction of career jobs, but it gets me out of the house during the dog days of winter. My employer, a lcoal CPA office, knows I don't need the job so minimal hassles. I generally decide when and how much I work, but do keep in mind that I need to be of value to the firm so usually have 50+ hour weeks in late March. Finished my 10 season with the firm this past April.

A non-paying hobby I got involved with 10 years ago was volunteering at the local university's horticulture center. In addition to helping with the various gardens, I am now "essentially" in charge of the 1.5 acre cucurbit (pumpkin, squash and gourds) patch. About 7 years ago I took an interest in crafting with dried gourds. Currently I give my gourd creations away, but many have told me I should be selling them. I may do that someday, but for now, I get more pleasure out of knowing I am personally creating an item for a specific individual.

After career in IT, and being laid off, at age 52 started hobby career as long haul truck driver in a tractor trailer. Yes, I actually enjoy it, therefore call it a hobby. Did that for six enjoyable years, full time. At age 58 got out for various reasons, and retired.

Career was as an engineer. In retirement, I do income tax returns from Jan to April. Pay is a fraction of career jobs, but it gets me out of the house during the dog days of winter.

I've considered that, probably for H&R Block, which I know doesn't pay much to start. I've done our taxes, which are pretty complicated, for years with the help of software.

I've got one and am trying to develop another. I've been reviewing questions and developing hands-on activities for a national science competition for the last 10 years - started as part of my job when I was with the BigGov organization. It lets me do the fun part of what I liked to do while teaching, create challenging activities for bright students and stay engaged with modern science, while avoiding what I disliked - interacting with teenagers 180 days each year. I have a 3 day commitment to be on-site for the competition (just the right dose of teenagers) but other than that I schedule my own time - no more than 200 hours per year, mostly in the winter when it's less pleasant.

I'm trying to develop some regular gigs as a musician, but 3 or 4 per year would be plenty. I want just enough to keep me engaged with the musical community and to keep my motivation up for practicing. Some hobbies are just more fun when you do them well and/or alongside others that do them well.

Nothing for pay. And retired from my larger volunteer commitments concurrent with retirement.

But I've started taking classes at the community college for fun. 3 semesters of Italian under my belt so far. I plan to sign up for an online accounting class this term. (The 4th semester of Italian isn't offered till spring.) I like numbers/money... so I'm a weirdo that will enjoy learning accounting principles.

I looked at doing taxes but the pay vs hassle didn't make sense to me.

Our church essentially has their own in house part time construction company. We usually will rebuild a needy person's house in Sept-Oct. We have framers, union electricians, electrical engineer, architects and a bunch of ER laborers.

We've built 3 houses and given them away to tornado victims and completely rebuilt a flood house.

What's incredible is that we'll build a house from scratch and have the furniture in it in less than 3 weeks. The Amish from Northern Indiana and Southern Michigan are the only ones that are in our class doing construction, and they're great.

It's still in future but I would like to consult in the areas of my job I really enjoy of which I am very good at. I would make a few bucks and stay out of trouble. Also, have considered getting a job at a local college teaching a course or two in my area of expertise.

One guy I know volunteers at a local golf course. That might be fun too as a way of getting some free golf if nothing else.

P1010433.jpgP1010455.jpg

Yes, took up a creative hobby with laser cutting & engraving, which has now grown into a small business.

Proves to be a very enjoyable & lucrative pastime blasting away with a high powered laser :D

My original username here was "Want2Retire". Then I did and have been ecstatic with retired life ever since.

Personally, the last thing I would want is ANY kind of job, even a part time job. I don't have time for it, and I don't need the money. If there is a topic or hobby that I am interested in, I spend as much, or as little time on it as I want.

On the other hand, some early retirees really enjoy having a hobby job. Some also find a little extra income to be handy, especially before SS kicks in. I know that this is an individual choice, so I say, "more power to them" for figuring out what they want to do and then doing it.

Career was as an engineer. In retirement, I do income tax returns from Jan to April. Pay is a fraction of career jobs, but it gets me out of the house during the dog days of winter. My employer, a lcoal CPA office, knows I don't need the job so minimal hassles. I generally decide when and how much I work, but do keep in mind that I need to be of value to the firm so usually have 50+ hour weeks in late March. Finished my 10 season with the firm this past April.

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, but only my first year. I got "recruited" by the CPA firm and I'm not sure I even said yes before they told me my starting date. I didn't realize I already knew so much about taxes, but of course there is more to learn as it's rare to see an "easy" tax return at a CPA office.

The partners have told me a good dozen times they want me back. The question to answer for myself is do I break the cycle now or continue on (for ten years??). It messes with skiing and travel plans.

I really enjoyed my part time gig . I knew nothing about retail and I ended up finding a source for new cocktail dresses at amazing discounts , building up a repeat customer base and was made a top seller on ebay for several years . After spending 40 years in the medical field this was a fun change plus the money padded my grandsons college accounts .It is a lot different doing something when you do not need the money . It is all pure fun money.Plus I ran my business in my PJ's .

I was a computer programmer before retirement.

I took a reading tutoring job in March, shortly after retirement. I had worked in daycare MANY years ago and thought working with kids and helping them with such an important skill would be fun. It started off 2 half-days a week, then ended up being 3. I just quit in June.

Having to be somewhere 3 days a week became a burden. Also, I didn't factor in that many of the kids were really young and did not want to be there.

Since quitting I feel very free - like my retirement has just started. I won't be making more commitments any time soon. For now I feel absolutely no desire to be useful or productive. If that changes, whatever I take on will be more considered and evolve out of new interests I discover in retirement.

Back
Top Bottom