Has terrorism affected your retirement plans?

I was considering a trip to Istanbul. I've been studying the history of that city and the Byzantine Empire. I'll
hold off for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

No. I am more concerned with pickpockets and cab drivers, but we are worn out from international travel, DW more than I so we go no more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Retirement plans, no. Things might be different when I retire in ~10 years. I hope the situation will be better, but it'll probably be worse.

Travel plans, yes. I visited the UK and Australia this year and I'll visit Canada next year, but after that I plan to stop traveling for 5 years. This will allow me to save more money, and I'll reassess the situation in 2022.

No.

We have been to many parts of the world but never to New York City. It is on our bucket list. We do not intend to let the threat of terrorism stop us from visiting over the next year or so.

We may even drive. Which in and of itself will be more than a threat to our mortality than acts of terrorism.

I had a flight about two weeks after 9/11, and was happy to see a group of burly military fellows on the same flight! Always the crafty one, I carried a mechanical pencil in my shirt pocket, in case I needed to poke some hijacker in the eye...

One takeaway from 9/11 was to increase my situational awareness. Where are the exits? Are there people causing a scene of some sort? I often wondered how many made it out of the towers, but were standing around gawking when the first tower fell on them...

If I feel uneasy, I react. Get the hell out and away. I once ended up in the middle of a bar fight. I noticed the increasing "threat" of trouble; should have hit the door.

As for travel, I have no desire to visit Africa or the Middle East anyway. I'm sure those places are "interesting", but nope... I plan a couple of trips to "Europe", though I'd be just as happy wandering around the countryside as standing in line at a tourist trap. In my weird way of thinking, many of the cathedrals and pyramids and such were built by slaves; I see no need to celebrate that because they're "beautiful".

I don't like crowds, or line-standing, much anyway.

I just completed a week trip to Dale Hollow Lake and the Smokies. No terrorists there, except maybe for the band of yahoos I shared a houseboat with...

We had a cruise on the Black Sea on our bucket list. It is still there but on hold until Russia settles down. Starts to behave like a peace-loving nation. Istanbul/Nice don't bother me. Kind of like lightning or hurricanes. Probably safer than other places right now. Both favourite destinations.

We have written off a few countries due to the terror or unrest, like Syria, Afghanistan, Egypt, etc.
Largely the issue is not that we expect to get killed in a crowd, pretty unlikely.
It's more that we are tourists, we don't know the area, we can easily be tricked/led or found wandering around a deadly place.

Someone mentioned the killing rate is high in Chicago, and it is currently about 2,100 shootings with 300 deaths so far this year, sounds pretty bad, but if you know to stay out of the South and West parts of the city, it's pretty safe.
I'll go to downtown Chicago for various things and only worry about normal crime. I stay out of the West and South side.

Not directly. I don't fear being a victim of terrorism. However, the threat of terrorism has made travel no fun for me, with endless hours of security lines to pass through.

No.

We have been to many parts of the world but never to New York City. It is on our bucket list. We do not intend to let the threat of terrorism stop us from visiting over the next year or so.

We may even drive. Which in and of itself will be more than a threat to our mortality than acts of terrorism.

Don't drive in NYC. But it is a very exciting place to visit. I have been a few times and felt safer than in Barcelona, Rome, or Athens.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Somehow, I have literally dodged a bullet.
I live in Southern Calif and was out of town for the 71 and 94 (3 miles from the epicenter)quakes.
Cairo just before that tourist bus got shot up
Yemen before the attack on the USS Cole
Nairobi before the embassy bombing
Luxor before the attack at Queen Hatsheput's temple
York before lightning struck the Minster
After our last overseas trip, which was a cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg during a dreary September, we have decided that we will not be traveling out of the Americas any more.

Last edited:
I had a flight about two weeks after 9/11, and was happy to see a group of burly military fellows on the same flight! Always the crafty one, I carried a mechanical pencil in my shirt pocket, in case I needed to poke some hijacker in the eye...

One takeaway from 9/11 was to increase my situational awareness. Where are the exits? Are there people causing a scene of some sort? I often wondered how many made it out of the towers, but were standing around gawking when the first tower fell on them...

If I feel uneasy, I react. Get the hell out and away. I once ended up in the middle of a bar fight. I noticed the increasing "threat" of trouble; should have hit the door.

As for travel, I have no desire to visit Africa or the Middle East anyway. I'm sure those places are "interesting", but nope... I plan a couple of trips to "Europe", though I'd be just as happy wandering around the countryside as standing in line at a tourist trap. In my weird way of thinking, many of the cathedrals and pyramids and such were built by slaves; I see no need to celebrate that because they're "beautiful".

I don't like crowds, or line-standing, much anyway.

I just completed a week trip to Dale Hollow Lake and the Smokies. No terrorists there, except maybe for the band of yahoos I shared a houseboat with...

Yes, I was going to agree about the benefits of improving "situational awareness" in this season of worldwide tensions. My beloved DH, now passed, would be thrilled to hear that I've been working on this too. He loved to regale listeners with the story of how I ended up in Yugoslavia "by mistake" in the late '70's, largely due to enjoying the scenery and not paying attention to where and when I was supposed to change trains.

Yup. I learned that you gotta pay attention or somebody can take away your passport.

But this post is simply a lot of fun to read. Thanks! May we all be safe from our favorite yahoos!

Back
Top Bottom