Haven't been on this site for awhile. Why?

World Traveler

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been busy that's why. All those years I had to take a vacation when the company would tell me I could. Now I can't schedule all the things I want to do and time is speeding up.

Spending a month in San Diego watching the kid play college baseball and in btw games fishing, kayaking and enjoying SD. Next Kid's college graduation then 3 weeks in Europe.

ER forum enhanced and augmented my education.
Thank you contributors

Good for you, WorldTraveler! Feel free to share some of your adventures with us when you eek out some spare time. :greetings10:

Now I can't schedule all the things I want to do and time is speeding up.

No doubt. I have discovered in retirement that there are a LOT of things to do and not nearly enough time to do it. I would like to tell all the naysayers that told me, "YOU'LL BE BORED!!!" that they were flat wrong, but I don't have the time to do so! :D

I've been traveling a lot since becoming FIRE too, just got back from a SAN Diego/Los Angeles/Las Vegas trip 2 weeks ago and we leave for Hawaii next week, last year went to Asia 2 times

No doubt. I have discovered in retirement that there are a LOT of things to do and not nearly enough time to do it. I would like to tell all the naysayers that told me, "YOU'LL BE BORED!!!" that they were flat wrong, but I don't have the time to do so! :D

+1
It's amazing how many people suggested I'd be bored when we ER'd. Whether we're traveling or just staying home with each other, DH & I love having the freedom to do what we want to do every day. Haven't even scratched the surface of our list of projects and potential interests to explore. It's also great to have time to exercise every day and focus on health and fitness.

Yes having time to travel is great. WE have a week trip in both June and Aug planned as well as traveling in our RV the entire month of July. We could never do that when working.

Welcome back! I'm also adding travel plans as I go- just got back from Costa Rica and Panama, Iceland in August, India and Nepal in March and, if the finances work out, Scotland next summer. I already put a deposit down with UnCruise, the line I took on my last trip, for an upcoming cruise- probably the Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortez in 2019.

Have you ever visited the site of the Travelers' century Club, which you can join only if you've visited 100 countries? They're a little loose with their definitions- they count Alaska and Hawaii separately from the continental US because of their distance from the Lower 48, England, Scotland and Wales are 3 separate countries, etc. I'm at 33.

Welcome back! I'm also adding travel plans as I go- just got back from Costa Rica and Panama, Iceland in August, India and Nepal in March and, if the finances work out, Scotland next summer. I already put a deposit down with UnCruise, the line I took on my last trip, for an upcoming cruise- probably the Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortez in 2019.

Now you only have to decide on Whale Sharks or Grey Whales, we did Whale Sharks in Nov 2015, and were not disappointed.

Now you only have to decide on Whale Sharks or Grey Whales, we did Whale Sharks in Nov 2015, and were not disappointed.

Some passengers on the cruise said the time of year when the baby grey whales are born is the best- that would be January, so that's most likely. Don't need to decide yet!

Have you ever visited the site of the Travelers' century Club, which you can join only if you've visited 100 countries? They're a little loose with their definitions- they count Alaska and Hawaii separately from the continental US because of their distance from the Lower 48, England, Scotland and Wales are 3 separate countries, etc. I'm at 33.

Well I never counted them up until now. 50 to date and will add six more this summer.

Well I never counted them up until now. 50 to date and will add six more this summer.

Wow- I'm not sure if I'll ever hit 50 but I'll have a lot of fun trying! Always torn between revisiting places I loved (I'm spreading a few of DH's ashes there) and seeing new ones. If I do the Baja/Sea of Cortez cruise it will be my first trip to Mexico despite being fairly close (San Diego) a few times.

By the TravBuddy map I have about 73 right now, (more I guess, if I can split the UK into England/N. Ireland/Wales/Scotland, separate Hawaii from the U.S., and whatever others might apply).

This must be from people in the workforce with no retirement in sight

Believe it or not, most of the people who said that to me are very wealthy and only continue to work because they have limited identity outside of work and/or passionately love what they do. YMMV but I'm glad I have a lot of other interests, and a great social circle that wasn't connected to my job. Made the ER goal really motivating for me.

Wow- I'm not sure if I'll ever hit 50 but I'll have a lot of fun trying! Always torn between revisiting places I loved (I'm spreading a few of DH's ashes there) and seeing new ones. If I do the Baja/Sea of Cortez cruise it will be my first trip to Mexico despite being fairly close (San Diego) a few times.

It's not the number of countries but the enjoyable or altruistic experiences. A lot of the countries I've been to were work/military related and I have no intention of ever going back, Saudi Arabia and Somalia come to mind.

I did go on a boat with my buddy and his dad on the Sea of Cortez and had a blast. Sounds like you will too.

Big reason for ER was to pick where we want to go, when and how long.

I have no intention of ever going back, Saudi Arabia

Dec 28, 1988, we took off from Riyadh for the last time.....I leaned over my wife, looked out the window, and remarked that "The place can sink into the sea now, as far as I'm concerned".

Back
Top Bottom